Sponsored

Video: Shelby GT350 Ordering Info - Ford addressing GT350 use & heat issues

Sprintamx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
Aw shucks guys, don't make me blush . . .

I'm really trying to understand the pretty strong backlash and almost personal attacks by those who think that Base / Tech car owners (or those who have ordered them) who are voicing their concerns about the growing number of reports are fundamentally unjustified with their concern and disappointment with Ford. I've got my own opinions, of course, but there's little value in exploring or debating the reasons for the backlash. That's been demonstrated quite clearly in this and other threads. Bottom line, there is no good objective reason not to want to see every GT350 be a dominating force. If that takes some more engineering based on field experience, so be it.

Personally, I've made my position known with the dealer I bought my car from and Ford, in the limited way I can at this point. More generally, let's keep up the productive discussions, keep gathering data, and find ways to bring meaningful positive pressure on Ford to define and resolve the issue. Regardless of what a few might think, a 10 minute performance envelope is not acceptable for a GT350. Let's get a well-engineered fix on the table that does not void our warranties, and at a reasonable price.
Sponsored

bpracer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 FR-S, 2005 F250
I was always going to track my car, and I live in Texas, so any additional cooling is seen as a plus.

• While Ford might come up with a solution for Base/Tech cars, will it be free??
  • If so, will I get a free Sync3/Nav upgrade??
    (I mean, why not, otherwise I'm getting less car for the same money...)
I think the answer to both is no.

At least one track pack reported issues, so what can it be. The photos of the trans cooler looked like it should be up to the task. If I run in to issues, I guess I'll figure out why it isn't.

Is the fluid level correct,? Can I add a bit more without getting in to some windage/vent issue? The fluid is standard Mercon LV ATF stuff, there is probably a better solution out there, though manual transmission can be very finicky.

Is the sensor reading correctly? The sensor supposedly is not reading the fluid directly according to one article. It mentioned the sensor could be removed without exposing a fluid passage. They could have been talking about the speed sensor but that is not how it was worded. If it does not directly read the fluid temp, is the case getting heated by the exhaust? (some indirect evidence of that with people running catless having no issues...)

So.... the sensor. Did they get a bad batch. Hey, we know they had a bad batch of thermostats! Stick the sensor in boiling water, does the computer read 100C?

At this point, if no defect is seen, I guess some action is required on my part if I want to track the car in the Texas heat. I guess a heat barrier between the exhaust and trans case would be the first step. I could try to find a larger cooler to replace the stock one. More likely I would try to build a finned tank in the cooler line path to both add fluid capacity and some cooling.

Last edited:

Sprintamx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
Those are all good questions, and identify data points that need to be analyzed.

While spending time underneath the car yesterday I saw the very close proximity of the cats to the tranny, and how the exhaust and tranny are pretty well tucked into a likely dead-air pocket created by the deep transmission tunnel and underbody aero. It also seemed to me (a non-engineer observation) that the tranny is relatively small. There are a lot of components packed into a small package, all of which are expected to operate at a high level which will produce a lot of heat. So, does this transmission have some inherent heat-load management issues based on its size? If so, put that together with significant external heat sources in close proximity in a protected air space, and you get . . .

Food for thought.

JN66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R, 1966 Couple (347 Stroker)
Has anyone removed the cats yet? How did it affect the sound of the exhaust?

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Carroll Shelbys Soul Lives Under My GT350 Hood
I have ARH long tubes and off road X pipe. I have a few videos posted on here and YouTube.
I don't know how to post the links here.
But if you search the "long tube header test" or on you tube type in ARH GT350. I have 5 videos

Sponsored

JN66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have ARH long tubes and off road X pipe. I have a few videos posted on here and YouTube.
I don't know how to post the links here.
But if you search the "long tube header test" or on you tube type in ARH GT350. I have 5 videos
Atta fella. Searching now. Appreciate the reply.

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Sorry on here it's full length header test.

JN66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just watched three of your youtube videos. I think (and I am sure you noticed) I saw some blue flames coming out of your exhaust on the 'right to left' drive by...beautiful. Sounds incredible as well.

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Just watched three of your youtube videos. I think (and I am sure you noticed) I saw some blue flames coming out of your exhaust on the 'right to left' drive by...beautiful. Sounds incredible as well.
Lol. That's not flames. That blue tape. I put it on there to prevent the stones from dinging the plastic. But it didn't stick well. If you pause it you'll see its tape.

JN66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Haha. Shit. I was hoping I could also have flames.

Sponsored

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)

mattlqx

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mach 1, '16 F-150, '14 Fiesta ST, '14 Audi A7
I think deafening is a good word for it. You don't get the full effect of the loudness from videos because volume is all relative on playback.

JN66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think deafening is a good word for it. You don't get the full effect of the loudness from videos because volume is all relative on playback.
Yeah, that makes sense. Not sure my neighbours would appreciate me with my cats removed. New born baby haha. Going to bad enough already.

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
You have to pay to play! If you choose the tech pack over the track pack and intended on prolonged track sessions, maybe you should have bought the TP or the R. I knew from day one I was going to hit the track hard in this bad boy, so, I purchased the TP. All the research I did prior to ordering my car told me that I had to order the TP. Couldn't spend the extra on the R, out of my price range. I know we all like to be heard, but this sounds like a lost battle gentlemen.

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
My cars loud, but I still have the stock mufflers and those videos are in sport mode. That's the nice thing about the active mufflers. When I put it in normal mode it's hardly any louder then stock in normal mode.
Sponsored