Vehicle VED tax

Pilgrim/uk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
GT Yellow
Cant see them doing it myself especially retrospectively as it would affect many vehicles and would possibly put the nail in the coffin for companies like Aston Martin , but if they do id just sorn mine and use it for the summer months as it would have no resale value unless ford bought them back which i cant see happening
Sponsored

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual
Cant see them doing it myself especially retrospectively as it would affect many vehicles and would possibly put the nail in the coffin for companies like Aston Martin , but if they do id just sorn mine and use it for the summer months as it would have no resale value unless ford bought them back which i cant see happening
Yes i was thinking of doing that, they're no fun in rain/winter anyway

SteveS

...Bon Scott Land...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Magnetic

V8_MOTOR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY17 S550 Mustang GT (EURO)
The rates people are calculating are based on the equation they gave PURELY FOR ILLISTRATIVE PURPOSES. 2.7 last line. That's what they used to create the charts.

everybody needs to relax. Click bait news.

Silver Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
GT 5.0 mannual
Donā€™t worry folks letā€™s party like itā€™s.....2020??

Get that Mustang out and USE it while you still can

As Keynes said in the long run we will all be dead and that was before we discovered Corona virus!!

I am old enough to remember when we used to get money back on the empty Corona bottles.

Or as been said before

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON!!

Sponsored

CaptainSensible

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black Mustang V8 GT Coupe
Ā£2000/year tax and the car is effectively scrap.
That's the point though isn't it, no point changing tax on cars already built and registered, it won't stop them polluting! Just hammer resale values, which doesn't benefit anyone.

The government's focus will be looking at how to encourage manufacturers to build greener cars, and consumers to buy them.

inky5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang 5.0GT Fastback
That's the point though isn't it, no point changing tax on cars already built and registered, it won't stop them polluting! Just hammer resale values, which doesn't benefit anyone.

The government's focus will be looking at how to encourage manufacturers to build greener cars, and consumers to buy them.
Possibly, but one of the other reasons for (retrospectively) applying a BIG tax increase is to incentivise people to get rid of their older, higher polluting cars, and buy something ā€œgreenerā€.

Not forgetting of course the ridiculous theory that electric cars are (NOT) really that green..! i.e. how are batteries produced, where does the power actually come from etc...

V8_MOTOR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
how are batteries produced, where does the power actually come from etc...
I digress but let me put it this way, all fossil fuel cars contribute to co2 PLUS air pollution in the city so peoples health is impacted where as cars charged on renewable electricity will only have the initial outlay and the electricity generation through natural gas is much cleaner and allows for cleaner cities.

Even if electric cars are just as bad as regular cars it's still good to change over. Better performance too. Unless you are saying that electric cars are worse for the environment than gas powered cars, the point you are making is absolutely moot. There are very very few categories where a gas powered car is better than an electric and we mustang owners can't complain about range because most new electric cars offer better range than our mustangs and new 155kw charger literally charge the cars enough in 10 mins.

I know we will have an electric car in the house hold within the year.

Count Drunkula

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Johnny
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
I digress but let me put it this way, all fossil fuel cars contribute to co2 PLUS air pollution in the city so peoples health is impacted where as cars charged on renewable electricity will only have the initial outlay and the electricity generation through natural gas is much cleaner and allows for cleaner cities.

Even if electric cars are just as bad as regular cars it's still good to change over. Better performance too. Unless you are saying that electric cars are worse for the environment than gas powered cars, the point you are making is absolutely moot. There are very very few categories where a gas powered car is better than an electric and we mustang owners can't complain about range because most new electric cars offer better range than our mustangs and new 155kw charger literally charge the cars enough in 10 mins.

I know we will have an electric car in the house hold within the year.
Well this is all true and next time out I was planning on going electric. However, I wasn't intending that next time should be quite so soon. If VED on the stang becomes unaffordable, it will be a very heavy hit. I can't afford to run the car because VED is too expensive. I can't sell the car because no one will want a vehicle with the aforementioned massive VED and I will now have to fork out for a new electric chariot if I'd like to get to work and pay tax. Ouch!

V8_MOTOR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well this is all true and next time out I was planning on going electric. However, I wasn't intending that next time should be quite so soon. If VED on the stang becomes unaffordable, it will be a very heavy hit. I can't afford to run the car because VED is too expensive. I can't sell the car because no one will want a vehicle with the aforementioned massive VED and I will now have to fork out for a new electric chariot if I'd like to get to work and pay tax. Ouch!
Again, it's all pure PURE speculation. The equation used to create those charts and the charts used to throw around these figures aren't grounded in anything

The paper itself says very clearly the equation used is purely for illustrative purposes. So all this fuss about 2 grand a year etc is complete and utter nonesense grounded in absolutely nothing. People may as well stick a wet finger in the air to determine how expensive or how cheap it will be.

Sponsored

Count Drunkula

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Johnny
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Again, it's all pure PURE speculation. The equation used to create those charts and the charts used to throw around these figures aren't grounded in anything

The paper itself says very clearly the equation used is purely for illustrative purposes. So all this fuss about 2 grand a year etc is complete and utter nonesense grounded in absolutely nothing. People may as well stick a wet finger in the air to determine how expensive or how cheap it will be.
Well, again all entirely true, but I'd keep that stuff about wet fingers in the air to yourself. If the gummint get a hold of that idea, they'll deffo run with it...

CaptainSensible

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black Mustang V8 GT Coupe
Possibly, but one of the other reasons for (retrospectively) applying a BIG tax increase is to incentivise people to get rid of their older, higher polluting cars, and buy something ā€œgreenerā€.

Not forgetting of course the ridiculous theory that electric cars are (NOT) really that green..! i.e. how are batteries produced, where does the power actually come from etc...
It's not older cars, it's cars registered after April 2017! It would be far worse for the environment scrapping these cars and building new replacements, than just leaving them on the road.

Bullitt66

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
lots of assumptions here.

This ā€˜couldā€™ hit all big engined cars, so all Mustang competitors ā€˜couldā€™ be affected too. The segment will still exist, even if itā€™s downscaled. Not everybody wants to downscale to a chavvy hot hatch nor an electric car with no charging infrastructure. Of course the scale of the tax will dictate the decision to sell up for each of us individually.

And in our hearts we know the ICE V8 is in its vinegar strokes. So make hay while the sun is shining. And before the corona lock down bans vehicle movement:)