Sponsored

Vehicle Excise Duty - Budget 2015

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual
Basically, it seems you save money compared to existing road tax as long as you keep the V8 Mustang for three years or more. Also, will save, hopefully, on depreciation as will only be 140 a year road tax.
Sponsored

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you Google "Telegraph how to beat the new car tax rates" they mention the Mustang and how the new rates affect it.

OP
OP
SteveS

SteveS

...Bon Scott Land...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Magnetic
Much as we thought. If you take the first years tax into account then it doesn't seem that bad over 5 years, however the first years tax is absorbed into the purchase price and you're not having to shell out for it year after year.

Regardless, I signed up for a car with a £500+ yearly tax bill and a raging thirst and I want it ASAP so them's the breaks :headbang:

benanderson89

Hooneriffic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
It's basically going back to the old engine displacement tax style before the 2002 change in VED policy, except this time it's based on car value.

To be go fair, if you can afford a £40k+ car then you can afford 450 a year. After 5 years that drops of a cliff to 140 anyway. That'll be a good thing for the 2nd hand market in premum cars. 140 tax on a 2009 Aston Vantage? I'm game for that.

MrWolf

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
MY2018 Magnetic Auto GT
It's basically going back to the old engine displacement tax style before the 2002 change in VED policy, except this time it's based on car value.

To be go fair, if you can afford a £40k+ car then you can afford 450 a year. After 5 years that drops of a cliff to 140 anyway. That'll be a good thing for the 2nd hand market in premum cars. 140 tax on a 2009 Aston Vantage? I'm game for that.

Only applies to new vehicles from 2017. A 2009 Aston Vantage will always be £550.

Sponsored

benanderson89

Hooneriffic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Only applies to new vehicles from 2017. A 2009 Aston Vantage will always be £550.
Oh well!

Even so it shouldn't be that much of a worry. The extra £900 on the cost of VED to get a V8 Mustang will be covered with the first two years of substantially lower emissions payments. Those who have already bought it will pay less for the car outright.

Its all swings and roundabouts.

If you get it on PCP then it should be even less of a worry.

MrWolf

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
MY2018 Magnetic Auto GT
Oh well!

Even so it shouldn't be that much of a worry. The extra £900 on the cost of VED to get a V8 Mustang will be covered with the first two years of substantially lower emissions payments. Those who have already bought it will pay less for the car outright.

Its all swings and roundabouts.

If you get it on PCP then it should be even less of a worry.

My thoughts too.

benanderson89

Hooneriffic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
The people that are protesting that it'll penalise their little econo-shoeboxes are people that just want a cheap car in every way possible.

Those who can afford a big gas guzzler already go and buy one, regardless of the VED implications.

No one walks into a dealership and says "oh, I don't want that car because the CO2 emissions are harmful!" - no, they walk into a dealer and say "oh the CO2 emissions are low enough that it's free!"

CO2 isn't even the issue anyway. The USA doesn't have major restrictions on CO2, instead they focus on NOx and CO (just like Euro 6 regulations) and its worked out just fine for them.

slowhand99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Vert Race Red ord 26/03/15 del 24/03/16
.......and by the way human induced global warming is a load of bollux. When polar ice increases it never makes the news.

Sponsored

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Ian whu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
I totally disagree with VED,
If someone wants to buy a vehicle that does 15MPG, then why penalise them again with higher VED, they getting penalised twice.
They already paying the government a lot more in tax in fuel duty.

jord79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
If someone wants to buy a vehicle that does 15MPG, then why penalise them again with higher VED, they getting penalised twice.
That's a good point, I never thought of it like that.

Centurion07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Probably because it only does 15mpg.

Let's be honest, any car that does 15mpg is not exactly practical and, whether you want to admit it or not, is not a good use of fuel, so until they decide to scrap VED altogether and just up the tax on fuel itself, this is a way of trying to discourage people from buying gas guzzlers.

The government probably realise that some of these cars will do far fewer miles than some crappy 10 year old Focus and therefore use less fuel, so having high VED is just a way of clawing some of that back.

Centurion07 (soon to be owner of a V8 doing 10K a year)

stevec

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT!!
I completely agree. Tax us directly on what fuel we use, that's fine but why the hell should I pay so much VED for doing 9000 miles per year in my V8 when someone who does 50000 a year in a car that does say 40mpg pays less. It does not add up! VED should be stopped and all the tax put on fuel, the more you use the more you pay.
Sponsored