MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
I'll throw in my $0.02 since I bought a brand new 2017 V6, 3 months and 5500 miles later the dealer crashed it and I ended up with a 2018 EB.

The V6 DOES sound better, but the 10spd ecoboost is noticably faster.

The steering wheel controls swapped left to right between 17-18.

The 2018 feels lighter and more nimble, but also tramlines a good bit.
This probably has something to do with the 19" wheel option vs the 17" I had on the V6.

The 6spd auto was great in the V6, but the 10spd is better.

Overall, to be such similar cars, they drive much differently. The 2017 V6 was a bit softer and more "American" feeling, while the 2018 EB feels more like a Japanese tuner car than the pony cars I knew from the 90s and 2000s.

I love them both, but I do miss that V6 sound.
The power difference is not surprising when comparing '17 to '18. The A10 GTs are noticeably faster, too. The lighter and more nimble feel of the '18 is interesting. Performance package on the '18? I wonder if there's a similar difference comparing '17 ecoboost vs. '18 ecoboost at the same trim levels. Is there an actual weight difference? Most agree any S550 feels very different from the older pony cars of the 90s, etc.
Sponsored

cyclonetron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang v6
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks. I originally started looking at convertibles for my wife. She realized I was into it a lot more than her and told me to just get what I want. Her only advice was about color. A red one will get "noticed" too much by police. She probably would have felt the same way about orange. :)
Thats awesome advice. I was surprised my wife was ok with the orange. I originally wanted silver, grey, or dark red. When the dealer pulled this one out for us we both liked it a lot.

cyclonetron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang v6
Vehicle Showcase
I'll throw in my $0.02 since I bought a brand new 2017 V6, 3 months and 5500 miles later the dealer crashed it and I ended up with a 2018 EB.

The V6 DOES sound better, but the 10spd ecoboost is noticably faster.

The steering wheel controls swapped left to right between 17-18.

The 2018 feels lighter and more nimble, but also tramlines a good bit.
This probably has something to do with the 19" wheel option vs the 17" I had on the V6.

The 6spd auto was great in the V6, but the 10spd is better.

Overall, to be such similar cars, they drive much differently. The 2017 V6 was a bit softer and more "American" feeling, while the 2018 EB feels more like a Japanese tuner car than the pony cars I knew from the 90s and 2000s.

I love them both, but I do miss that V6 sound.

FYI with zero launch attempt, using the on board computer at the exact same location, under the same weather conditions, the 0-60 times were:
2017 V6 6A : 6.0
2018 EB 10A : 5.7

Both cars stock, with axle-back exhaust, 1/2 tank fuel and spare tire.
Great comparison! The more I learn about the Ecoboost, the more it intrigues me as a fun mod capable vehicle. I think if anything did happen to my V6 I would be hard pressed not to take a good long look at the 18+ Ecoboosts.

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
No Perf. Pack on the EB. The 19" wheel option was part of the black accent package
Probably the difference in the 235 stock tires on the V6 and the 255 and lower profile tires on the Eco, wheels/tires make a massive difference in handling.

OP
OP

magnetticmadness

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt premium OW 10spd
so the ecoboost is really drawing my attention because theres one for sale here thats fully loaded. I mean literally has every option for under 20k and has 60k miles which im not worried about becuase ill be getting extended warranty. again my biggest gripe is the sound. it bothers me that ford kinda walked away from the ecoboost in that area.

Sponsored

cyclonetron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang v6
Vehicle Showcase
so the ecoboost is really drawing my attention because theres one for sale here thats fully loaded. I mean literally has every option for under 20k and has 60k miles which im not worried about becuase ill be getting extended warranty. again my biggest gripe is the sound. it bothers me that ford kinda walked away from the ecoboost in that area.
Yeah true, the sound is really nice in the V6. I've heard the magnaflow competition catback is a good option.

OP
OP

magnetticmadness

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had mags on my 18gt. Sounded great. I really just want a nice rumble plus a good and not lawnmower sounding exhaust

DR_

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
like a complete jerk
I would sell you my Mustang for $20k.

PDX.Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 6M
So I've posted around about my next car. I know my bio says 18 gt. Well long story but I did have one and couldn't afford it anymore. Posted about that as well. I love all Mustangs and really wanna go for another one. I have been HEAVILY contemplating a v6 or an EcoBoost. Stock for stock I understand the EcoBoost might be a better fit for some and vice versa with the v6. I'm really looking for potential in the aftermarket. The eco has more cheap and quick power gains whereas the v6 has to go forced induction for serious numbers. My goal is really just around gt numbers. 400-450 hp and prolly 400 tq. I know it's completely doable with both but I'd like input from people that have owned one or maybe have done some serious mods to theirs. Obviously the biggest difference to me is the sound. Definitely like the v6 sound more but the EcoBoost isn't half bad.
You'll have as much into it as buying a GT.
Agreed. :piggybank:

Sponsored
OP
OP

magnetticmadness

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
i mean like i said in my area a highly used gt is going for the cheapest 19k with 125k miles. just goes up from there. for a lightly used one its about 27-30k which is way more than upgrading a smaller displacement car if done correctly.