Sponsored

Usefulness of a catch can on an EB motor?

leszek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 CO GT PP vert
I know the catch can is effective, but is it useful? The turbo is leaking enough oil past its seals to create blue smoke for those that remove cats (as discussed here), it follows that there is a lot more oil coming from other sources into the intake besides the PCV system. So valve cleaning will have to be part of the engine maintenance down the road no matter what given the fact that this is a direct injection setup. So is the catch can all that useful?
Sponsored

EcoSwag1990

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GT
There was really good youtube video where a ford service technician was discussing this topic. I can't look it up now since I'm at work ;) but he spoke directly with ford engineers and they told him that they are working on a ford approved method to clean the system which you would be able to have done as part of your normal service at the dealership. He also highlighted the importance of getting your system flashed with the latest updates when you take it in for service

tittermary

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oil leaking past turbo seal isn't going into intake , any turbo car "must have a catch can" imho, especially a di engine

RubyRacer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Mustang GT 6M
Oil leaking past turbo seal isn't going into intake , any turbo car "must have a catch can" imho, especially a di engine
That's where I land, too. However, with 7000 miles on my car i'm still trying to get this darn thing on. It's a pain to install without a lift or jacks... I may just ask the exhaust shop to do it when it's up on the lift for my custom exhaust next week.

tittermary

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's where I land, too. However, with 7000 miles on my car i'm still trying to get this darn thing on. It's a pain to install without a lift or jacks... I may just ask the exhaust shop to do it when it's up on the lift for my custom exhaust next week.
There is a trick to once you figure that out its a 10 min job max, upr has some good pics intructions check them out

Sponsored

RubyRacer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Mustang GT 6M
There is a trick to once you figure that out its a 10 min job max, upr has some good pics intructions check them out
I appreciate it, thanks!

Suddueth13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thunderbird
Not to mention, unless someone actually pulls the turbo and determines the oil is coming from it, it's simply speculation. I haven't looked at enough of the reports of the problem to see if any of those cars have catch cans already installed or not. If not, then I would take a guess that it's mostly from the PCV system. I agree with the guys above, a catch can is a very beneficial mod, especially for direct injection engines.

jasonc0604

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Focus SE "Slocus"
If I go Ecoboost (and that's now a big if after all of this), I'm ordering a catch can to install the moment the car arrives.

boosted_orange

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP
Well I have a catch can on my EB so I'm not sure what to think some say turbo seal other's PVC and I also heard possible internal..?

Evil87GN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 TY EB auto
I had the same issue on several of my Buicks due to the PCV system. Under boost, the PCV would leak by slightly, pressurizing the crankcase. The vent line on the passenger side breather fed right into the turbo inlet, which lead to a lot of oil contamination in the inlet tract. I haven't noticed any smoke yet, but I'm ordering a catch can tonight, just to take that off the table as a source.

Sponsored

ronv95

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
I had the same issue on several of my Buicks due to the PCV system. Under boost, the PCV would leak by slightly, pressurizing the crankcase. The vent line on the passenger side breather fed right into the turbo inlet, which lead to a lot of oil contamination in the inlet tract. I haven't noticed any smoke yet, but I'm ordering a catch can tonight, just to take that off the table as a source.
I'm running catless dp and oil catch can, got right at 7k, had the dp and oil can on for 2k no issues of smoke

boosted_orange

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP
What exactly is your smoke situation? Like when does it smoke, what is the color, how heavy is it, etc?
Sitting in the car I can see what looks like white ish smoke with the smell of burnt oil, One of my co-workers said it was a slight blueish smoke...it smokes pretty good but only while idling, no performance issues but the smoke & smell is getting annoying...I may start taking stuff apart to pinpoint what's up but gotta wait put in a call to the dealer to see which way I'm gonna go

Suddueth13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thunderbird
Having some smoke and different smells while catless is normal at idle. As long as it's not smoking while under load or off load under vacuum you're okay.

boosted_orange

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP
Having some smoke and different smells while catless is normal at idle. As long as it's not smoking while under load or off load under vacuum you're okay.
I get being un-catted your gonna get more of fuel smell but the oil burning and the amount of smoke while idling is whats concerning me:frusty: and I personally don't think its normal so something isn't right :rant:
Sponsored