OP

NPTR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350R HEP
So I just got this what seems to be the problem with them ?
IMG_4946.png

Plenty here if you just search UPR.

Some saying they can blow out of pan at high temps given varying expansion / contraction of materials, some saying they can vibrate loose given weight distribution, etc.
Sponsored

konadave

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DAVE
Vehicle(s)
2019 MUSTANG GT
Great. Money well wasted lol. Haven’t put it in yet. Might not

UPRjoe

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
750 S. Eastcoast St, Lake Worth Fl. 33460
Website
www.uprproducts.com
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
UPR 2015 Ecoboost Mustang
Not a thing, they work perfectly. You can install it, and it will lock on the detent tabs. You're all set. Just do not try to bend open the detent tabs or jam the drain plug in. It's a simple push-in and rotate installation. Don't bend or prey on the detent tabs open, as that will affect the fit. We have seen people pry the tabs open when removing them for oil changes, and that is incorrect, as all you have to do is twist to remove them and never look back.

The newer design has even stronger detent tabs, so they do not vibrate out or come loose. We have tens of thousands of these on the streets and race tracks using them without any issues. We have continually improved the design of each of our drain plugs and valves and stand behind the performance they deliver.

Joe

Last edited:

UPRjoe

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
750 S. Eastcoast St, Lake Worth Fl. 33460
Website
www.uprproducts.com
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
UPR 2015 Ecoboost Mustang
Plenty here if you just search UPR.

Some saying they can blow out of pan at high temps given varying expansion / contraction of materials, some saying they can vibrate loose given weight distribution, etc.
High temperatures or varying expansion/contraction of aluminum versus plastic will not come into play with engine operating temperatures. The oil pan would have to melt. Fortunately, oil pans are designed to handle excessive heat without issue. Multiple companies make aluminum and steel drain plugs and valves for all types of oil pans without issues.

If the detent tabs are locked in, they will not come loose. Weight distribution is not a factor. Nothing this light will create or affect the item's performance or reliability. If an engine has enough blow-by pressure, it will blow the dipstick out and not a drain plug or drain valve.

UPR drain plugs and drain valves are fully CNC machined billet aluminum to deliver the lightest and strongest-performing part. Unlike the competition, which uses steel and brass 1/4-turn valves that are much heavier and hand outside the oil pan, UPR drain plugs and drain valves fit tightly in the factory location and are unaffected, as they all run dual o-rings for better seal and shock and vibration absorption.

This is not a flame; I am simply sharing the facts about our current products and how they are worry-free and perform great.

Thank you, Joe

Last edited:

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
So, I was traveling for a couple of weeks and I watched this thread evolve from a question about what drain plugs work in Voodoo engines to a staunch defense of product quality and suitability by an aftermarket supplier. Along the way, a couple of folks who don't have Voodoo engines said that their aftermarket plugs worked fine.

I posted my opinion, which is that using a part that weighs more than 18 grams in the high-vibration environment of a $30,000 Voodoo engine might be a bit risky. One member posted that his Voodoo engine had dumped an aftermarket plug on the race track - personal experience of whatever risk there is.

My personal experience, over 8 years, 30,000 miles and 54 performance driving events, is that the OEM plastic plug is secure and it doesn't leak. I changed the oil last weekend and the plug is still doing just fine. By the way, I put in M1 Supercar (C8 FPC engine oil) to see how it works.

With all that background, today I was looking at Ford parts for a Coyote engine. One of the parts that caught my eye was the drain plug for the plastic Coyote pan that's been in use since 2018 or so. I was surprised to see that it's got a different part number and it looks different than the GT350 Voodoo part.

Now, Ford's supply chain folks aren't stupid. They would not tolerate the cost of supporting two part numbers for two parts that are mechanically interchangeable. Putting it another way, there must be an engineering reason that the Voodoo part and the Coyote part are different.

I don't know what that reason is, but four years after the Voodoo went out of production, Ford's engineers still consider the requirements for the Voodoo to be significantly different than those of other engines that take a similar plug. The GT plug seems to have replaced the Voodoo plug in all applications EXCEPT the Voodoo itself.

So, the summary is that Ford themselves think that the Voodoo drain plug is unique and special. They think that something they make to do the same job in other engines is too risky to use in the Voodoo. YMMV.

Sponsored

OP
OP

NPTR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350R HEP
It’s legit crazy to me - I’m a member on several forums for various car communities…my M2, M40i, Tacoma, fathers GTR, brothers motorcycle business…and this forum is by far the most volatile. Happily a member / part of the community, but it really feels like there’s an unnecessary level of tension on here…whether it’s an oil debate or a random Mach 1 guy stoking flames, folks have pretty drastic reactions and conversations rather quickly get derailed…so be it, I’m a new guy around here and not trying to change a thing…but I’m used to forums being constructive “town square” type places for like minded folks to come together over a common passion…but this is feeling more and more like social media to me…and I don’t think that’s healthy and/or the intended purpose of venues like this…but again, I may be wrong and not forcing my will on this place, I just feel like it could be way more positive / constructive that it rather regularly ends up being….just look at that other recent thread with a new 350 owner, unfortunate…

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
It’s legit crazy to me - I’m a member on several forums for various car communities…my M2, M40i, Tacoma, fathers GTR, brothers motorcycle business…and this forum is by far the most volatile. Happily a member / part of the community, but it really feels like there’s an unnecessary level of tension on here…whether it’s an oil debate or a random Mach 1 guy stoking flames, folks have pretty drastic reactions and conversations rather quickly get derailed…so be it, I’m a new guy around here and not trying to change a thing…but I’m used to forums being constructive “town square” type places for like minded folks to come together over a common passion…but this is feeling more and more like social media to me…and I don’t think that’s healthy and/or the intended purpose of venues like this…but again, I may be wrong and not forcing my will on this place, I just feel like it could be way more positive / constructive that it rather regularly ends up being….just look at that other recent thread with a new 350 owner, unfortunate…
Well, this GT350 subsection was very different back in 2016 when I joined. The cars were new and exotic and there was a lot to learn about them and how to get the best performance from the platform. A lot of information got exchanged with very little "tension" as you call it.

These days, you're right, it's different and not in a good way. What's fun to watch is the way that people here with GT350's still talk to each other about their GT350's while carefully dodging the non-owners who offer (usually sincere but often unusable) advice. I've found that it's worth checking whether a poster here owns a GT350 or not before reading their post.

This thread is an example of the owner to owner dynamic - a GT350 owner asked a question about a product in the GT350 section and a handful of GT350 owners responded. If you go back through the thread and only read the GT350 owners' posts, you'll find a reasonably thoughtful, respectful and clear response to the OP's question. It's not unanimous, but it's useful for someone trying to make a decision. The thread only becomes tense when you add back the responses from people without GT350's, who seem happy to talk down to us like we're idiots. Welcome to social media, I guess.

526 HRSE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Grabber Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Why is this plug better than a Femco?

Waiting.... 🍿 🍿 🍿
Sponsored