Sponsored

Upgraded the 3.5 door speaker???

OrangeStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT Premium Competition Orange
Hey all. Has anyone ever upgraded to a different 3.5 door speaker? Crutchfield doesnt show anything that fits as of now. Thanks
Sponsored

mumbles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT Prem OW
I would Google something like "3.5 in car component speakers" just to see what is out there.

Are you planning on only changing out those?

OP
OP

OrangeStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT Premium Competition Orange
Mumbles,

I did so many times. Theres only one speaker upgrade video online but its the base audio. Im shocked that no one has upgraded their 3.5's with at least photos showing so. Even Crutchfiled doesnt show whats compatible. I might have to be the first..

The Great Gazoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Silver GT/Auto
I'm thinking of replacing them with the Hertz DCX873 since I am doing a speaker and amp upgrade shortly.No idea if they "just fit" or if mods will be needed. Problem is that it is a coax speaker so with tweeters in the sills and in the doors it might be overly bright without some kind of filtering to the doors. Optionally, I might just delete their use entirely since the frequency response from the new component speakers should adequately cover what that 3.5" would deliver, especially with a new amp.

Ap8823

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Premium
Both of mine have blown lol. I'm deciding whether it's worth upgrading interior speakers without an amp tho.

Sponsored

Redcruzer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 eco boost premium convertible, Ruby red
I used JBL 329s. Happy with them. Much better mid/highs for sixty bucks.

mumbles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT Prem OW
Mumbles,

I did so many times. Theres only one speaker upgrade video online but its the base audio. Im shocked that no one has upgraded their 3.5's with at least photos showing so. Even Crutchfiled doesnt show whats compatible. I might have to be the first..
If you are looking for raw drivers, go to Parts Express, go to Speaker Components, Midrange/MidBass & Full range speakers, then filter down to 3" - 4"...

Dayton Audio, Tang Band and Vifa are all pretty good speakers...

billross77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
I used Kicker KS series 3.5s. The sound is actually a pretty big difference without an amp upgrade. Be prepared to Dremel out the existing speaker bracket a little to make it fit.

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Magnetic Premium PP 50AP
I bought the JBL GTO 329 3.5" also, just haven't gotten around to installing them yet. After my experience with upgrading the rear speakers this weekend, I wasn't in a big hurry. Since some people are saying it does make a difference, maybe I should start replacing the other speakers, especially since I already have them and they're just sitting here.

Sponsored

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Quick question on replacing those. For the 6.5", I got the METRA 72-5602 adapter so I didn't have to cut the factory wiring, Is there anything like that for the 3.5"?

Redcruzer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 eco boost premium convertible, Ruby red
Jbl's you dont need a dremel, you can use a utility knife and the factory speaker connector can be reused.

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
I haven't taken the panel off and looked at it yet but don't understand when you say the factory connector can be reused. The JBL GTO329 only has the 2 pins on the speaker, there's no connector. I was hoping there was some adapter I could solder onto the speaker like the METRA 72-5602 adapter I used on the 6.5" so I could just unplug the factory 3.5" and plug the 329 right in and not have to cut the factory wire. Is that possible or do I have to cut it?

Just to be clear, I'm not talking about physical mounting, I'm talking about the electrical connection.
Sponsored