[update1] Voodoo oil consumption: 1100miles = from max to min

arsenalrocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
changed my oil at 1000 miles, filled it to the max
checked it again at 2100 miles, it is at min

is this level of oil consumption normal?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
update 1:
- to fill from min to max, i only needed a bit less than 1/2 qt.
- filled to max with the engine somewhat hot (within 1hr of shut down), next morning 6am stone cold engine and cold air, oil dropped by 1/4-1/3.
-1/4'' oil in the passenger catch can OEM ford performance.

conclusion from update 1: after the first oil change(hot day), i checked oil max level obviously with the engine somewhat hot, yesterday was at min, but it was with the car sitting in the office for 8hours and the air temp and wind was very very cold. the diff in temp alone, based on my finding last night, would account for at least 1/4 of the oil. plus the stuff in the catch can, total missing oil accounted for is 1/3.

which means i m burning 2/3 of the dip stick which is about 1/3 of a qt every 1100miles.

to me that seems reasonable.
Sponsored

Last edited:

cosmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT
What style of driving? Track usage? Daily? Heavily spirited?

OP
OP

arsenalrocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
under 4k daily driven, mostly highway.

also I am not sure what is the oil quantity required to fill from min to max on the dipstick, is it 1 qt?

What style of driving? Track usage? Daily? Heavily spirited?

cosmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT
under 4k daily driven, mostly highway.

also I am not sure what is the oil quantity required to fill from min to max on the dipstick, is it 1 qt?
Were they both checked at the same time? i.e. in the morning before being driven?

Tough call, I'd add about a 1/4 of a quart at a time, let it sit for a few minutes and then check it again.

OP
OP

arsenalrocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
I checked mine at the same spot at work at lunch on different days and it is definitely eating 1/2 length between max and min every 500miles or so.

a little concerning since i never had a car that consumes oil this much.

Were they both checked at the same time? i.e. in the morning before being driven?

Tough call, I'd add about a 1/4 of a quart at a time, let it sit for a few minutes and then check it again.

Sponsored

cosmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT
I checked mine at the same spot at work at lunch on different days and it is definitely eating 1/2 length between max and min every 500miles or so.

a little concerning since i never had a car that consumes oil this much.
That SHOULD have been enough time for everything to drain back into the pan. I'd still try to check when cold.

I'd try to flex out the RPMs a bit more often and engine break more often once warm, try to make sure you get a good break in of the rings. I think there was another thread where a user was reporting high oil consumption, let me look

EDIT: http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53328

GT_Dave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mach 1 408EFI , 2016 GT350
I'm using mine for a DD and have a couple of autocross days in the last 3800 miles. My engine is not using any oil that I can notice on the dipstick. One oil change at 1200 miles.

Do you have an oil catch can on the car??
There are only 3 places the oil can go, out the exhaust, in the intake or out the bottom somewhere. If you don't have any oil drips, and a catch can isn't collecting oil, there is only one place left to look.

OP
OP

arsenalrocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
I have only reved past 5000rpm once or twice during the 2100miles currently on the ODO.

Track days this weekend so I will monitor the oil consumption every couple of days after that.

montreal ponies

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
‘17 Ruby red GT350
I have only reved past 5000rpm once or twice during the 2100miles currently on the ODO.

Track days this weekend so I will monitor the oil consumption every couple of days after that.
This will also be a good time to monitor tranny temps for limp mode.

OP
OP

arsenalrocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
i have FORD performance oil catch cans, will check tomorrow.

no oil leaks
and yes the two inner exhaust pipes were a lot darker than the two outer ones, indicating it is burning some oil

I'm using mine for a DD and have a couple of autocross days in the last 3800 miles. My engine is not using any oil that I can notice on the dipstick. One oil change at 1200 miles.

Do you have an oil catch can on the car??
There are only 3 places the oil can go, out the exhaust, in the intake or out the bottom somewhere. If you don't have any oil drips, and a catch can isn't collecting oil, there is only one place left to look.

Sponsored

GT_Dave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mach 1 408EFI , 2016 GT350
and yes the two inner exhaust pipes were a lot darker than the two outer ones, indicating it is burning some oil
That also indicates you are driving around with the exhaust valves open in sport mode more than you are with them closed. I can't blame you one bit !!
But really, the outer pipes are through the mufflers and the mufflers are most likely collecting most of the exhaust residue.

50 Deep

Signature Wheel Ford Rep
Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.signaturewheel.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
i have FORD performance oil catch cans, will check tomorrow.

no oil leaks
More to do with the exhaust mode than oil consumption

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
That also indicates you are driving around with the exhaust valves open in sport mode more than you are with them closed. I can't blame you one bit !!
But really, the outer pipes are through the mufflers and the mufflers are most likely collecting most of the exhaust residue.
Bingo. The exhaust gases are simply taking the path of least resistance

TDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2019 Challenger Scat Pack Widebody, 2019 Corvette Grand Sport
As a data point I had the oil changed about 600 miles ago and attended a track day and spirited drives with no measurable change in oil level.

kairojya

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
I'd try to flex out the RPMs a bit more often and engine break more often once warm, try to make sure you get a good break in of the rings.
Not to thread jack but I just got a 350, only 275 miles on it so far. What do you mean by engine breaking while warm? Is it bad to do it before the oil is up to temp? What temp? I'm addicted to downshift blips, but I don't want to cause undue harm during break in.
Sponsored