Unreasonable dealers

Status
Not open for further replies.

kanga80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
So I posted earlier about trying to get a GT350. I have no trouble finding them or communicating with dealers. My issue is all about pricing, despite what dealers post on cars.com or autotrader they are all charging an ADM of 10K+ (highest being 127K sale price for a GT350).

I have emailed dozens of dealers from all around the country and nobody seems willing to come below a 10K ADM. No matter how much I am willing to put down (50% of MSRP) I keep hitting road blocks and can't get MSRP. I found a dealer luckily in Vegas (my home when not deployed) that has 1 allocation and can submit an order for how I want it. the kicker is the 10K ADM so basically I'd be paying 57-58K for a base GT350. Should I jump on this deal? I'm trying to get him down closer to MSRP, he is going to ask the store owner on Friday, but I am not optimistic. What would you guys do, wait it out or jump on the 10K ADM?
Sponsored

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.KorumFord.com
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
11 GT500 Glass Roof Coupe
We sell lots of brand new Ford trucks for $10K below MSRP quite often. Customer sure seem to expect a big discount like this since there are so many dealers - each with so many new trucks to sell.

So, the tables are turned on a hard to find GT350. $10K over MSRP? Big deal. Suck it up and pay it if you gotta have a GT350 now. Want an MSRP deal? Wait until next year when there's plenty to be had.

Here's a thought. Offer your local dealer full MSRP for a brand new, loaded up F-series pickup if they'll sell you a GT350 for MSRP, as well.

OP
OP

kanga80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
are you checking all big dealers?
I have checked everywhere from Google to ebay motors, small towns & big towna. Dealers will post at or below MSRP on the sites, but when they respond to my e-mails the price changes to whatever ADM they have chosen.

ero 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt 5.0
if people are paying it, why would they sell them for less? To be nice?

Sponsored

lemers

Globetrotter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Are people truly paying 10k ADM, or are these cars sitting around collecting dust on the hope and dreams of "that one born every minute" walking in?

2016 GT350 Magnetic w/Black Stripes / Black Roof /Tech Package Build January, ETA March (US Port), Germany Apr, under MSRP

Rogue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche 911 Carrera S, Boss 302 Laguna Seca, Jagua
It really helps if you have a relationship with a dealer. I personally developed one by wiring 50,000 dollars for a Boss Laguna Seca that had been sitting on a showroom floor for a month back in 2012 - that dealer remembered me and honored MSRP for this one too. They initially wanted a 5k ADM.

Rated R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco FE
Don't pay ADM. Even MSRP on this car is a bit of a stretch as they do not sustain their value on the resale market like a GT3. Any joy you may have by paying ADM just to have it now will be traded for remorse within weeks. If you're the type of person looking to buy a GT350 at sticker, paying ADM will kill your ownership experience.

Don't listen to 5.0 Brian either as he's just another stealer who happens to like Mustangs. Read out loud what he posted, then tell me he's not unlike any other schmo you've been talking to at a dealer...:shrug: This guy could have sold me a GT350, a Platinum F-150 to my bro in January (has been ordered by the dealer I'm getting my GT350 from) and a 2017 Raptor to me next fall. He totally screwed up. I'm sure he could care less however.

The reason why they sell so many F-150's at deep discounts is that their MSRP is way too high on them i.e. Ford's profit margin is through the roof. Incentives, rebates, volume is the game as well as stiff competition from GM and Ram. Comparing the two is disingenuous at best.

OP
OP

kanga80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Don't pay ADM. Even MSRP on this car is a bit of a stretch as they do not sustain their value on the resale market like a GT3. Any joy you may have by paying ADM just to have it now will be traded for remorse within weeks. If you're the type of person looking to buy a GT350 at sticker, paying ADM will kill your ownership experience.

Don't listen to 5.0 Brian either as he's just another stealer who happens to like Mustangs. Read out loud what he posted, then tell me he's not unlike any other schmo you've been talking to at a dealer...:shrug: This guy could have sold me a GT350, a Platinum F-150 to my bro in January (has been ordered by the dealer I'm getting my GT350 from) and a 2017 Raptor to me next fall. He totally screwed up. I'm sure he could care less however.

The reason why they sell so many F-150's at deep discounts is that their MSRP is way too high on them i.e. Ford's profit margin is through the roof. Incentives, rebates, volume is the game as well as stiff competition from GM and Ram. Comparing the two is disingenuous at best.
What's the trick then to get them below MSRP? I cant even get the dealers I've had discussions with to come down from their ADM to MSRP.

Rick R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Mustang
Here's a thought. Offer your local dealer full MSRP for a brand new, loaded up F-series pickup if they'll sell you a GT350 for MSRP, as well.
Amen. The day nobody gets to pay below MSRP, ever, is the day you get to be sanctimonious about having to pay over msrp.

Sponsored

Myshelby3425

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
There are dozens on threads on adm. Your not going to find current inventory stock for msrp. If the car is sitting in a dealer, chances are there is a big adm. You need to call dealers asking for availability of allocations and place an order and wait. Many dealers are at $5k adm if your comfortable with that but finding msrp is going to be difficult but keeping calling and don't give up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
$10k is more than what I would want to pay. I did pay $5k, though. I think I was lucky that I have a bit of a relationship with the dealer from buying past cars. The other two larger dealerships I'm aware of in town are asking a lot more. There's one who is only getting $2k over, but their cars are spoken for.

I think you have to make this decision for yourself. I really disagree with Randy M that MSRP is a stretch, but maybe he will buy a Camaro instead. Whatever floats his boat. I'm not interested at all in a Camaro, and the mag numbers don't affect my feelings about the GT350 at all. I'm grateful I have a car and I'm really pleased with it. I would have been ok with a regular GT as well, though.

I agree that you may have to wait. Even waiting a couple years and buying a lightly used car wouldn't be a bad way to go, IMO. Reading on here it seems like a lot of the buyers will stick their cars in the garage, put the cover on them and then sell in a few years.

bdub85

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bobby
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Package Shadow Black
What's the trick then to get them below MSRP? I cant even get the dealers I've had discussions with to come down from their ADM to MSRP.
Getting a GT350 below MSRP is not realistic unless you have some sort of connection with a dealer. Even getting one at MSRP is not realistic at this point.

Not saying it's impossible, but these cars are incredibly hot right now. You're best bet is to keep calling and be patient.

OP
OP

kanga80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
$10k is more than what I would want to pay. I did pay $5k, though. I think I was lucky that I have a bit of a relationship with the dealer from buying past cars. The other two larger dealerships I'm aware of in town are asking a lot more. There's one who is only getting $2k over, but their cars are spoken for.

I think you have to make this decision for yourself. I really disagree with Randy M that MSRP is a stretch, but maybe he will buy a Camaro instead. Whatever floats his boat. I'm not interested at all in a Camaro, and the mag numbers don't affect my feelings about the GT350 at all. I'm grateful I have a car and I'm really pleased with it. I would have been ok with a regular GT as well, though.

I agree that you may have to wait. Even waiting a couple years and buying a lightly used car wouldn't be a bad way to go, IMO. Reading on here it seems like a lot of the buyers will stick their cars in the garage, put the cover on them and then sell in a few years.
I think I just read some threads that said DONT pay an ADM so I got some bad information/misleading. I am ok with a 5K ADM, and with me being willing to pay half upfront, I think a 5K ADM is fair.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I think I just read some threads that said DONT pay an ADM so I got some bad information/misleading. I am ok with a 5K ADM, and with me being willing to pay half upfront, I think a 5K ADM is fair.
Well, if everyone thinking about buying a car sticks together and refuses to pay an ADM, then the dealers will eventually change their tune and drop the prices. It might take a year, but it would happen.

However, I don't see everyone who wants a car sticking together. :) It just won't happen.

I'm a cheap guy, but there were over 20 people in line for the car I bought - all of them aware the dealer was firm at $5k over. So.. I felt ok about paying it even without driving the car first. I'm glad the car is so great, because paying over MSRP... if I hadn't been thrilled with the car I definitely would have buyer's remorse.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.