Sponsored

Unplugging Exhaust Valves

AMpowerJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 - Ordering ...
I finally got under the car today and unplugged the wires connected to the exhaust valves. I didn't unplug the connection right at the valve motor; rather the pigtail connection that leads to the short 12" wire running to the valve. The good news is the car started with the valves open. The bad news it that the car goes through some sort of check and displayed on the dash that exhaust modes were not available. No big deal since I though I can live with that message everytime. BUT ... it also disabled the ability to switch between drive modes. That was surprising. So of course I plugged everything back in and all went back to normal.

This makes me wonder how any aftermarket exhaust is going to work without the valves. I guess some sort of terminator/emulator is going to be required to fake the system into thinking valves are actually connected.
Sponsored

Nataphen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Mustang GT
Interesting. I never thought they'd be THAT integrated into the system.

Just a quick thing I've been wondering about. Can you turn the car to on without starting the engine, set the exhaust to sport, then start the car? I know it's a PITA, I've just been curious about that.

CliffClavin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Van down by the river
Interesting. I never thought they'd be THAT integrated into the system.

Just a quick thing I've been wondering about. Can you turn the car to on without starting the engine, set the exhaust to sport, then start the car? I know it's a PITA, I've just been curious about that.
Yes. Once you start the car, the valves will open and you will hear it transition a couple of seconds later.

Nataphen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Mustang GT
Wow. So, there's no way to here the car start up with the exhaust fully opened? That's pretty disappointing.

Sponsored

SinisterX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Avalanche grey
So you cant turn the key to RUN (battery power on) and flip the switch before you push the START button ?

CJ Pony Parts

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cjponyparts.com
Vehicle(s)
A large variety of Mustangs across all generations
I finally got under the car today and unplugged the wires connected to the exhaust valves. I didn't unplug the connection right at the valve motor; rather the pigtail connection that leads to the short 12" wire running to the valve. The good news is the car started with the valves open. The bad news it that the car goes through some sort of check and displayed on the dash that exhaust modes were not available. No big deal since I though I can live with that message everytime. BUT ... it also disabled the ability to switch between drive modes. That was surprising. So of course I plugged everything back in and all went back to normal.

This makes me wonder how any aftermarket exhaust is going to work without the valves. I guess some sort of terminator/emulator is going to be required to fake the system into thinking valves are actually connected.
This is something that we were concerned about as well in regards to the aftermarket aspect. I'm sure many manufacturers will follow suit with how Magnaflow handled the issue with their new system for the GT350 and GT350R. They use the same OEM exhaust valves for a full functioning plug-n-play install. If you haven't already, check it out.

MagnaFlow Stainless Steel Quad Tip 3" Competition Series Cat-Back Exhaust Kit with 4" Polished Tips for all 2015-2016 Shelby GT350 and GT350R Mustangs

CliffClavin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Van down by the river
So you cant turn the key to RUN (battery power on) and flip the switch before you push the START button ?
Yes, you can. And it does what I stated above.

Car in accessory mode - toggle to sport mode.
Depress clutch and push start button. Car turns on. Exhaust valves start changing over and you hear it change over a second or two later.

Putting it into sport mode while the vehicle is off does not move the valves to open until the vehicle is started.

OP
OP

AMpowerJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Someone will figure out a way to program around this with a tune I'm sure.

chief135smitty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT350 w/track pack
Don't quote me but doesn't the car start with the valves open and then closes within a couple seconds? At least that is how it sounds when the cars are started.

Sponsored

MastrHU

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 - Tech
Don't quote me but doesn't the car start with the valves open and then closes within a couple seconds? At least that is how it sounds when the cars are started.
I think this may be true. The car is louder for that split second it starts.

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Could that just be part of the cold start tuning? My 2012 definitely starts with a growl then quiets down. A friend/family member/gopro looking into the muffler will solve the mystery :ninja:

mattlqx

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mach 1, '16 F-150, '14 Fiesta ST, '14 Audi A7
I wouldn't surprise me if the valves do a "sweep" for calibration on startup.

OP
OP

AMpowerJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I wouldn't surprise me if the valves do a "sweep" for calibration on startup.
Sounds like they do. Really sorta of a strange Jekyll and Hyde startup.
Sponsored