Two Years and Counting

Old 5 Oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium AT
So I've had my 15 GT two years today. That's a milestone.

It's been split into two phases. In the CA phase, I drove 8,400 miles the first three months I owned the car, and really appreciated the AT in traffic and the bright white paint in the desert sunshine, even though it was winter. The brakes howled like banshees, but Ford was working on it.

Then we moved to Idaho.

Phase 2 has taken 21 months so far, and I have coincidentally driven another 8,400 miles in that time, so a total of 16,800 on the car. The passenger side got restyled in the Wal-Mart parking lot last summer; thanks to Garrity Boulevard Auto Body for making that invisible. And Ford fixed the brakes in May, 2015. Not a peep out of them since. I didn't have the cooled seats repaired. It didn't sound like a solid fix, and the last thing I wanted was Ford screwing up the fit of the upholstery to no improvement.

The car just runs. Two oil changes is the full list of work I have needed, other than the brake recall. I haven't changed much. Redline hood struts, and an MBRP Street catback, which I hated when I put it on a year ago and now like quite a bit since it's quit rasping and sounds pretty good. Sure catches the neighbors' attention on cold start.

I think about whether I would have ordered differently had I known more about the car, or that we were moving. Yeah, probably. First, I didn't like the 19" wheels in the lousy black and white photos Ford had at first, so I went with the 18" Foundry wheels, which were supposedly black but are charcoal. Turned out the 19" wheels look great, and I would have ordered them. Probably have to change out to aftermarket wheels when these tires wear out. Which may be 2020 at this rate. And I really wrestled with ordering a darker color. Looked at both silver and DIB but settled on desert-friendly white, which I have ordered again and again over the years. Here in Idaho, silver would have been no problem and I probably should have just ordered DIB; with Redline it looks very Maserati and that's cool. I go back and forth on the AT. Mostly I like it a lot, and I don't think I would have liked the MT-82 much. So I think I did the right thing there.

Overall, this is a fabulous car. More luxurious than the Lincoln MKZ it replaced, faster than it has a right to be, yet stable and good handling despite being a base GT on all-season tires. The ride-handling compromise is just about perfect for me. It's very comfortable, though I'd prefer a real leather steering wheel, and it has an amazing amount of front seat and trunk space for travel. I don't care about the back seat, and my dog liked it.

I have had seven Mustangs. This one is by far the best car, and the fastest, and the most comfortable. Hard to beat. I for one couldn't care less if a 2016 Camaro is a bit faster. I don't have to drive a Transformer!
Sponsored

Coolmanfoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt
So I've had my 15 GT two years today. That's a milestone.

It's been split into two phases. In the CA phase, I drove 8,400 miles the first three months I owned the car, and really appreciated the AT in traffic and the bright white paint in the desert sunshine, even though it was winter. The brakes howled like banshees, but Ford was working on it.

Then we moved to Idaho.

Phase 2 has taken 21 months so far, and I have coincidentally driven another 8,400 miles in that time, so a total of 16,800 on the car. The passenger side got restyled in the Wal-Mart parking lot last summer; thanks to Garrity Boulevard Auto Body for making that invisible. And Ford fixed the brakes in May, 2015. Not a peep out of them since. I didn't have the cooled seats repaired. It didn't sound like a solid fix, and the last thing I wanted was Ford screwing up the fit of the upholstery to no improvement.

The car just runs. Two oil changes is the full list of work I have needed, other than the brake recall. I haven't changed much. Redline hood struts, and an MBRP Street catback, which I hated when I put it on a year ago and now like quite a bit since it's quit rasping and sounds pretty good. Sure catches the neighbors' attention on cold start.

I think about whether I would have ordered differently had I known more about the car, or that we were moving. Yeah, probably. First, I didn't like the 19" wheels in the lousy black and white photos Ford had at first, so I went with the 18" Foundry wheels, which were supposedly black but are charcoal. Turned out the 19" wheels look great, and I would have ordered them. Probably have to change out to aftermarket wheels when these tires wear out. Which may be 2020 at this rate. And I really wrestled with ordering a darker color. Looked at both silver and DIB but settled on desert-friendly white, which I have ordered again and again over the years. Here in Idaho, silver would have been no problem and I probably should have just ordered DIB; with Redline it looks very Maserati and that's cool. I go back and forth on the AT. Mostly I like it a lot, and I don't think I would have liked the MT-82 much. So I think I did the right thing there.

Overall, this is a fabulous car. More luxurious than the Lincoln MKZ it replaced, faster than it has a right to be, yet stable and good handling despite being a base GT on all-season tires. The ride-handling compromise is just about perfect for me. It's very comfortable, though I'd prefer a real leather steering wheel, and it has an amazing amount of front seat and trunk space for travel. I don't care about the back seat, and my dog liked it.

I have had seven Mustangs. This one is by far the best car, and the fastest, and the most comfortable. Hard to beat. I for one couldn't care less if a 2016 Camaro is a bit faster. I don't have to drive a Transformer!
What brake recall? Also what part of Idaho did you end up in? I used to live on the eastern border where a mustang would have been useless 9 months out of the year.

OP
OP
Old 5 Oh

Old 5 Oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium AT
What brake recall? Also what part of Idaho did you end up in? I used to live on the eastern border where a mustang would have been useless 9 months out of the year.
Correctly a TSB on the base GT/ EB PP front brakes. There's a thread about a mile long on here somewhere, but it went quiet when repairs became available. If your car wasn't built in the first several months of production, you got the good parts from the factory.

OP
OP
Old 5 Oh

Old 5 Oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium AT
I think it was a TSB rather than a recall (squealing brakes).

Nice review, O/P. One thing though, I thought all S550s got a real leather steering wheel :confused:
It may be leather, but the feel is pure plastic. Ford has supplied nice leather wheels on some Mustangs over the years (the GT350 is an example) but this one is an economy special. But if that's the worst I can say about the car, I am OK with it.

Sponsored

B0SS603

@dib_5.0
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jacques
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Deep Impact Blue
Vehicle Showcase
It may be leather, but the feel is pure plastic. Ford has supplied nice leather wheels on some Mustangs over the years (the GT350 is an example) but this one is an economy special. But if that's the worst I can say about the car, I am OK with it.
The GT350 wheel is a beaut. Easy fix to swap the stock GT wheel with the GT350. That's one of the mods on my list of things I'd like to add.

doulos4jc

......looking^
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Mustang
In a couple weeks I'll be in the two year club with about 28,000 on the clock.

15GTCA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic 2015 GT A6
Great review after two years. I also went base Auto and i really like it. I have 16,000 miles but in just 14 months.

ScottsGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, DIB
I hit two years on the 5th of this month. Just rolled over to 24,000 last night.
My only regret I think was not ordering the 50th trim package. I did get a set of 50th tail lights by swapping a member here. But I'd like to have the seats too. Didn't care about the grill.

Each and everyone of my mods has been a big improvement in driving this car. No regrets there!

I guess my one biggest complaint in function on the car would be the too tight leather boot on the parking brake handle. It keeps lifting the handle it is so tight.

Sponsored

ATLalien

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT PP
Correctly a TSB on the base GT/ EB PP front brakes. There's a thread about a mile long on here somewhere, but it went quiet when repairs became available. If your car wasn't built in the first several months of production, you got the good parts from the factory.
Apparently the TSB does NOT cover the Brembo PP cars, at least according to my dealer. My 15 is currently in the shop with them and I'm waiting to hear back on how they will address it.

TWilliams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red GT Premium
I'm right at two years myself (19,000 miles). Old 5 Oh's assessment is right on the mark for me as well, though I went with the premium. This is my 4th Mustang and certainly the best one yet. Everyone still loves it. I really haven't come up with any "cons" yet. (well, the occasional flakey Sync might qualify, but over all it has been fine.)
Sponsored