Sponsored

Tune without CAI?

ATLalien

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT PP
I know most usually do CAI and Tune together, and it seems like most tuners recommend it. Waiting on the Ford Racing tune myself for the warranty. However, I've seen some articles and videos that suggest CAI alone does next to nothing for HP, so is it worth it to do a CAI with a Tune? Anyone do a Tune without CAI?

I've never seen any dyno results for a tune without CAI so I'm assuming someone must have determined that the CAI does add something.
Sponsored

OP
OP

ATLalien

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT PP
Actually just noticed over on the "CAI" thread, a vendor did post results with just a Bama tune, comparing to tune+JLT CAI and there did appear to be a good bump from the CAI.

Anyone have direct experience using just one or the other?

madweazl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
SCT preloaded 93 octane tune made 401.9hp on my car (no CAI at the time). Lund tune and JLT CAI later made 408.7hp (415.9 if corrected to match DA from the SCT preloaded dyno session). Cant tell you what part of that delta the Lund tune or JLT was responsible for.

OP
OP

ATLalien

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT PP
SCT preloaded 93 octane tune made 401.9hp on my car (no CAI at the time). Lund tune and JLT CAI later made 408.7hp (415.9 if corrected to match DA from the SCT preloaded dyno session). Cant tell you what part of that delta the Lund tune or JLT was responsible for.
Thanks for the input! I see there was still a decent gain from just the SCT tune, seems most stock cars are hitting about 380, give or take.

madweazl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the input! I see there was still a decent gain from just the SCT tune, seems most stock cars are hitting about 380, give or take.
Best bang for the buck there is in my opinion. Drivability with the SCT was far better than stock while the engine was cold too. Was really hoping the Lund tune addressed that but that wasnt the case (I have sent them data logs for fine tuning yet).

Sponsored

tal

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.leschuck.com
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT Coupe
Best bang for the buck there is in my opinion. Drivability with the SCT was far better than stock while the engine was cold too. Was really hoping the Lund tune addressed that but that wasnt the case (I have sent them data logs for fine tuning yet).
Is your car stick or auto?

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang

redline727

Thread Killer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rocky
Vehicle(s)
2021 Oxford White Mustang GT
What correction factor did they use? So your SCT dyno at 401 was corrected to either SAE or STD? Those are two most common correction factors used. STD will yield higher numbers as it has more favorable conditions over SAE. Then they gave you Uncorrected results for tune and intake at 408. And if corrected to the same factor as before it made 415. Am I understanding you correctly? Also Smoothing must be the same. With no smoothing it shows more jagged a graph and can hit 1-2 hp more looking for your peak number. With smoothing all the way up or does just that, smoothes out your curve to show a more consistent graph and peak number.

For comparison only compare the numbers that are corrected to the same factor on the exact same dyno using the same smoothing rate. So your gain would be 14 HP to the tire with the CAI and Lund tune compared to only the SCT tune. That is the whole point of using correction factors. So data can be compared on different days and different weather/elevation environments. Ideally always want to compare using the same exact dyno each time to get the best comparison. Switching dyno's will have enough variables for inaccurate comparison.

The correction number is the what the correction factors used to get to that factor. So the higher the number the more your lower was altered to get the power in those conditions. For example if you live at high elevation you engine is making less actual power. So if you use STD it's likely your engine will never see those conditions unless you move haha. And people that live in low elevation and colder with no humidity it will actually correct your numbers down. Because you are actually in more ideal conditions to make power.

OP
OP

ATLalien

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT PP
ford racing is an aftermarket performance part like any other company. if you are worried about your warranty, that will make no difference,

i highly recommend our lund custom tune!!

we have some great options paired with the jlt, roush, etc...

http://teambeefcakeracing.com/2015--s550-mustang-cold-air-intakes.html
The big selling point I'd seen for the ford racing tunes sold through the dealer, is that they are a warrantied part when installed at the dealer.

No one with any other dyno numbers on tune alone?
Sponsored