Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
I am not new to AA, but I feel befuddled about its behavior lately. Usually it performs without problems.

When I needed it most for a long convoluted trip today, I couldn't get Google maps or podcasts on the center display. Either AA wouldn't attempt to connect or it wouldn't stay connected for more than a second.

I've tried both USB ports, and different cables. Rebooted the phone. I searched the forum but was surprised how few hits my phrase yielded.

Any further insightful tips for me?
Sponsored

f00man

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang M1 HP
Sync 3 is kinda weird sometimes. I’ve had issues with AA, but usually deleting the phone from Sync 3, and removing the vehicle from Android BT will fix most issues. I’ve had to disable/delete AA before, and then plug everything back to fix it. Basically, just start from scratch.

I still prefer AA over ACP any day.

Reactions: GTP

MiamiGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Most of the time, it's typically one of two issues:
  • You need a good quality USB cable, and a lot of them don't work properly. So if you're buying the cable from somewhere like Amazon, you may need to try a few. This brand works fine for me: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09R7P7R7C
  • Go into the Sync 3 settings and do a Master Reset. This should get Android Auto back to a place where you don't have any phone pairing issues. Out of the box, you should just be able to plug in your phone and it will do all the pairing steps on its own (including adding it over Bluetooth, etc).
Good luck! Feel free to reply back if you continue to experience any issues.

Ferrcad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible

Sponsored

OP
OP
GTP

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
Okay I ordered the Motorola MA1.
Also ordered this to tidy up the connection inside the center console compartment.

And when you say "works great", does that mean you haven't had to futz with it after initial installation?

41smcfDZ+nL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Ferrcad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've had no issues. Not sure you need those... I have mine plugged into the USB port in the console and that is where stays... has a long 5 inch cable which allows it to hang in the console. GL

Last edited:

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
while you're doing the S3 reset, take the time to update your Firmware, Phone OS, and the AA app.

Ferrcad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Okay I ordered the Motorola MA1.
Also ordered this to tidy up the connection inside the center console compartment.

And when you say "works great", does that mean you haven't had to futz with it after initial installation?

41smcfDZ+nL._AC_SL1000_.jpg
Hey, it will still take a few seconds to link up link a cable but so much nicer not having to do nothing other than start the car and await the connection. I stream either XM and/or Pandora with no issues. My phone is a Samsung Galaxy Fold 4.

OP
OP
GTP

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
Well, still no love for me on this.
The instructions say to start Android Auto via cable, and them immediately remove that cable and plug in the wireless dongle. Kind of a Catch-22 when I can't get AA to work via cable, doncha think?

After pairing the new dongle with the car, and then on the rare occasion that the cable connection behaved, I switched over to the dongle, but it never showed anything onscreen. ??

@MiamiGT350 does your wireless dongle LED show a steady green light, or is it always blinking?

Furthermore, I use AA the most for Google maps, especially on long trips, and in that case I want the phone cabled to the car so that it remains on charge.

Again, I plug my phone and any of several USB cables into our ST and it always works immediately. Must be the Mustang, no?

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Must be the Mustang, no?
seems a reasonable conclusion. Just get a magnetic mount (mine wedges into the air vent) and use the phone for nav, directly instead of fighting with Sync3. It's not like you need big pictures way off axis to divert your attention when you can just place it up high at dashboard height.

Ferrcad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well, still no love for me on this.
The instructions say to start Android Auto via cable, and them immediately remove that cable and plug in the wireless dongle. Kind of a Catch-22 when I can't get AA to work via cable, doncha think?

After pairing the new dongle with the car, and then on the rare occasion that the cable connection behaved, I switched over to the dongle, but it never showed anything onscreen. ??

@MiamiGT350 does your wireless dongle LED show a steady green light, or is it always blinking?

Furthermore, I use AA the most for Google maps, especially on long trips, and in that case I want the phone cabled to the car so that it remains on charge.

Again, I plug my phone and any of several USB cables into our ST and it always works immediately. Must be the Mustang, no?
Steady Green when connected...

Do not follow the directions regarding using the wire... Pair phone with Sync first using Bluetooth. Then pair to Wireless Connection via Motorola, will be a strange BT connection like AndroidAuto-8b75 or something like that. I have three so I just rename using the Vehicle Name at the end. Ex AndroidAuto-8b75-Mustang

I have no issues, three separate connected in my Mustang, Lincoln MKC and a older Honda Accord with an aftermarket radio.

Last edited:
OP
OP
GTP

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
Well I do have it properly paired with the car. But the green light is always blinking and there are no other indications that anything is going on. The instructions said something akin to "may take a while", but a long drive should be time enough. If your light is steady, then I wonder if mine blinking indicates a setup process. But it never completes.

Maybe my car just doesn't want to work with AA anymore. Frustrating.

I was never unhappy at all with a wired connection, but I surely miss it now!

OP
OP
GTP

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
seems a reasonable conclusion. Just get a magnetic mount (mine wedges into the air vent) and use the phone for nav, directly instead of fighting with Sync3. It's not like you need big pictures way off axis to divert your attention when you can just place it up high at dashboard height.
Yeah, even when it did work pretty reliably, it would still disconnect occasionally. I'm sure others would attest to that. And of course, being computer-ish, it would let me down at the most urgent of moments!

MiamiGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@GTP Outside of a good cable and a Master Reset (under settings) on Sync, I have resolved any Android issues a number of times.

Note: I don't have the wireless Motorola adapter. Haven't pulled the trigger yet. But sounds like you can't even get AA to work over a cable?

Do a master reset in the Sync settings menu if you haven't tried that yet.
Sponsored