Trans Fell...Possible Damage? Please Help

Socal Stangman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
So I installed a clutch and had some issues with it (My New Clutch Wont go into gear thread) so I had to remove the trans again to to diagnose the problem...as it turns out it was a bad clutch disc.

Anyway, my son was helping me taking my trans out and it was one of those things, he thought I had it, I thought he had it...then it happened...it fell off the trans jack. I felt like I was going to puke...Physical damage was relatively minor, I hope. One of the ears for the shifter mount broke off. Right now I have it JB Weld'ed and it feels pretty strong. I was able to get that long bolt in there and tighten it and it seems to be holding...so far.

So heres a concern I have, maybe Im being paranoid. I have a Barton shifter so the body of it is still mounted to the trans. The trans is still sitting on the ground and when I put the trans in gear, the output shaft still spins freely. Is this normal or is there something internal that happened that I cant see?I would think that putting it in gear would lock up that shaft, right?
Sponsored

sms2022

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
SS
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT PP1 premium
Shift to first, turn input shaft. Does the output shaft turn? Now grab output shaft and input shaft and see if you can turn them independently. Repeat for each gear. This is how I bench test transmissions to make sure they’re not grenaded before rebuild if I can’t get the inspection cover open.

Not sure how the higher gears in these transmissions work exactly, some foreign transmissions have a setup so that you can coast and the output shaft will freewheel for better fuel economy but it will grab with power.

DaveR.PP2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
20 Mustang GT PP2 ; 67 Shelby GT350; 67 Mustang S Code Coupe; 88 Mustang LX 5.0 Coupe
I'm of the opinion for safety reasons take it to a qualified shop or seek a performance or race shop where you have better probability of having a competent mechanic or rebuilder to check it out.

It hopefully didn't fall like 5 feet to the concrete floor apparently from what you described but a broken ear and the fact you're using an excellent shifter IMO and direct mount at that..... I would consider replacing the case or minimally get the existing case tig welded - the cost of which may be better to just replace the case - affords full inspection of everything inside and it's all about safety vs. money I guess.

Sorry to learn this..... I truly empathize.

A second thought is leave as is - hope the JB Weld satisfies forever - and change mounting to body instead of the trans on your Barton.

OP
OP
Socal Stangman

Socal Stangman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I'm of the opinion for safety reasons take it to a qualified shop or seek a performance or race shop where you have better probability of having a competent mechanic or rebuilder to check it out.

It hopefully didn't fall like 5 feet to the concrete floor apparently from what you described but a broken ear and the fact you're using an excellent shifter IMO and direct mount at that..... I would consider replacing the case or minimally get the existing case tig welded - the cost of which may be better to just replace the case - affords full inspection of everything inside and it's all about safety vs. money I guess.

Sorry to learn this..... I truly empathize.

A second thought is leave as is - hope the JB Weld satisfies forever - and change mounting to body instead of the trans on your Barton.
No, it fell like a foot off the trans jack. It really just kind of rolled off. Yeah, Im not sure what to do, Im so bummed. It just happened so fast. Ive done so much work on my cars over the years and Ive never had anything like this happen before...

OP
OP
Socal Stangman

Socal Stangman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Shift to first, turn input shaft. Does the output shaft turn? Now grab output shaft and input shaft and see if you can turn them independently. Repeat for each gear. This is how I bench test transmissions to make sure they’re not grenaded before rebuild if I can’t get the inspection cover open.

Not sure how the higher gears in these transmissions work exactly, some foreign transmissions have a setup so that you can coast and the output shaft will freewheel for better fuel economy but it will grab with power.
This will be difficult, but I can try. The trans is under the car and there isnt a ton of room. So, Im trying to break this down to something simple. The trans didn't fall feet or anything, maybe a foot off the jack. Even then it kind of more rolled off the jack and the way it landed is what caused the case to break...anyway. Is my thought process wrong? The shafts dont actually lock up when I put it in gear? If both shafts turn then the trans is toast?

Sponsored

sms2022

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
SS
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT PP1 premium
This will be difficult, but I can try. The trans is under the car and there isnt a ton of room. So, Im trying to break this down to something simple. The trans didn't fall feet or anything, maybe a foot off the jack. Even then it kind of more rolled off the jack and the way it landed is what caused the case to break...anyway. Is my thought process wrong? The shafts dont actually lock up when I put it in gear? If both shafts turn then the trans is toast?
No, both shafts should turn in gear. But you are better off turning the input shaft. Maybe someone more knowledgeable about this trans specifically can come along and save you the trouble of turning the input shaft.

OP
OP
Socal Stangman

Socal Stangman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
No, both shafts should turn in gear. But you are better off turning the input shaft. Maybe someone more knowledgeable about this trans specifically can come along and save you the trouble of turning the input shaft.
Ok, believe it or not Im pretty sure you answered my question. I just wasn't sure if the shafts were supposed to turn when it was in gear. It just seemed strange to me. The trans was fine before and there is no way the fall did any major damage to anything significant to the insides, I was just thinking that by being on it side maybe something slipped and that's why the shafts were turning when it was in gear. You're saying that's normal, so I am just being paranoid...I still cant even believe this happened. Im always so careful...

Thanks man I appreciate the input

DaveR.PP2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
20 Mustang GT PP2 ; 67 Shelby GT350; 67 Mustang S Code Coupe; 88 Mustang LX 5.0 Coupe
Sometimes it's better to look at these mishaps as an opportunity. I have 3 sons all now in their late 30's - early 40's in age. Have had the pleasure (and sometimes the OMG events too!) but as we do take pride in our efforts with engaging family we know it's all good.

Don't mean to be philosophical here...... but don't be too hard on yourself.

As you described what happened my gut is that this too shall pass and the trans will be ok.

OP
OP
Socal Stangman

Socal Stangman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Sometimes it's better to look at these mishaps as an opportunity. I have 3 sons all now in their late 30's - early 40's in age. Have had the pleasure (and sometimes the OMG events too!) but as we do take pride in our efforts with engaging family we know it's all good.

Don't mean to be philosophical here...... but don't be too hard on yourself.

As you described what happened my gut is that this too shall pass and the trans will be ok.
I appreciate this. My wife says the same, and Im sure you're right as well, it will be ok...still sucks, but it will be ok. Im just glad we didn't get hurt. Im just waiting for some parts to come in to finish it up so I can re-install, see if its all ok and move on..

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
If you turn the input shaft when in gear the output shaft should also turn.

Since it is a PIA to R&R the trans I would take it to a shop and have the ear properly fixed. Depending on which ear it is your JB weld might be enough. An honest shop will tell you.

A) it's toast and needs a new case
B) it's fixable but will need to be welded
C) it's not a stressed area and the JB might hold.

If C, I'd chance it. I have fixed so many things with JB it would fill a book.
Sponsored