Sponsored

Traction Control Problem

Ace302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium - Deep Impact Blue
Hey guys, need some help here. I have a 2016 Mustang GT auto with about 4K miles. Up until a few weeks ago I was really impressed with how well the traction control worked on this car - especially when applying power (sometimes full power) midway thru a corner. In fact the salesman even pointed out this feature on our test drive. It was also impossible to spin the tires from a complete stop - even with the original crappy stock PZeros (now running PSS) - without turning off traction control. I test drove the same model at a few dealers and received the same result.

Now all of sudden the car is acting as if the traction control is not working (same result in D, S or S+). The rear tires break loose very easily under full throttle. The traction control light does not come on to indicate the traction control is off or experiencing an error.

I took the car to the dealer but all they reported was that the traction control was working properly, this is a powerful car, blah blah blah.
Now I realize this is a 435 HP car BUT as mentioned, this just started happening a few weeks ago. Had the car functioned this way when new I could certainly understand but that's obviously not the case.

I am just looking to see if anyone else has had a similar issue as well as any suggestions for the next step? Do I push the dealer? Take it to another dealer? Contact Ford?

Thanks
Sponsored

Last edited:

BadGTR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Auto, 1400HP GTR
Maybe your motor broke in and you got more power? The traction control should cut power to avoid a dangerous situation when the tires are breaking loose. Sounds like you are expecting it to help with acceleration?

myjaja

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang 5.0
Hey guys, need some help here. I have a 2016 Mustang GT auto with about 4K miles. Up until a few weeks ago I was really impressed with how well the traction control worked on this car - especially when applying power (sometimes full power) midway thru a corner. In fact the salesman even pointed out this feature on our test drive. It was also impossible to spin the tires from a complete stop - even with the original crappy stock PZeros (now running PSS) - without turning off traction control.

Now all of sudden the car is acting as if the traction control is not working (same result in D, S or S+). The rear tires break loose very easily under full throttle. The traction control light does not come on to indicate the traction control is off or experiencing an error.

I took the car to the dealer but all they reported was that the traction control was working properly, this is a powerful car, blah blah blah.
Now I realize this is a 435 HP car BUT as mentioned, this just started happening a few weeks ago. Had the car functioned this way when new I could certainly understand but that's obviously not the case.

I am just looking to see if anyone else has had a similar issue as well as any suggestions for the next step? Do I push the dealer? Take it to another dealer? Contact Ford?

Thanks
I don't see what the problem is? I just got my 2016 gt and it broke loose every time I stomp on it with the stock p zeros. Like crazy amount of spinning even with traction on. I replaced them with amr 20's with 305 mickey thompsons and it still spins. You'll see the traction control light flash and you'll have power reduction to help with traction.

OP
OP

Ace302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tires are new PSS's with about 1,000 miles on them. It's definitely not the tires. Traction was much better after getting the new wheels/tires.

Sponsored

Freedom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT, '22 Tesla Model 3, '22 F-150 Lightning
Have you tried turning it off and on again? I mean pulling the negative terminal for 30 seconds?

OP
OP

Ace302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't see what the problem is? I just got my 2016 gt and it broke loose every time I stomp on it with the stock p zeros. Like crazy amount of spinning even with traction on. I replaced them with amr 20's with 305 mickey thompsons and it still spins. You'll see the traction control light flash and you'll have power reduction to help with traction.
Thanks for the feedback Myjaja but as mentioned, the problem is that I went 5 months without being able to get the rear tires to break loose. Now if what you describe is the case with yours was the case with mine when I test drove/took delivery, I would not think twice. However, it is very clear that something thing has changed. Either the TC was working too much then or now it is not working enough.

JCat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic Auto GT
My stock P Zeros break loose every time I go foot to floor. Hell, I can make them chirp at 25 mph if I wanna be a jerk on the road. :headbonk:

But I never do that...and I swear would never do that at least a dozen times a week. And I would never deliberately try to wear out the stock tires so I can justify buying new ones, either! Never. Really....:D

F0J

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
François
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I find that as soon as the tire pressures edge over 36PSI, that the car becomes a nightmare to handle. I aim for 34PSI hot on the stock AS Pirellis.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Actually I can confirm with OP. On occasional launches, my back end feels like it wants to slip out ever so slightly yet the traction control did nothing.
The problem is they set the threshold higher than a family car. It needs a lot of slip before the traction control kicks in.

Sponsored

DanDglassman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Deep Impact Blue
It is odd that you are not getting a light when it should be engaging. I'd start by checking fuses/relays. Have you seen any change in normal braking effort or distance along with this change in behavior?

OP
OP

Ace302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It is odd that you are not getting a light when it should be engaging. I'd start by checking fuses/relays. Have you seen any change in normal braking effort or distance along with this change in behavior?
Nope, no other changes noticed. I will check the fuses but according to the dealer, they checked everything and determined the TC is working normally.
Pretty frustrated. The old "everything is fine" is never a good starting point when addressing and issue with a dealer.:frusty:
Sponsored