Sponsored

Track only tires?

Rainier42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Performance Blue GT350R
Just a quick tire update on my results from the last two track events.

Notes -
1. This is non-scientific testing. Conditions varied slightly between each session and this was the second visit on this particular course direction and layout with the vehicle. I am not here to recommend one brand over another. I tend to favor certain tires based on my driving style and it means a different tire might work better for another driver.
2. I am not the quickest driver, but turn very consistent lap times rarely varying more than a few tenths of a second in open traffic conditions.
3. The car has more in it than I capable of extracting at the moment. I hope that changes as I become more familiar with it over the next couple of months. So results could, probably would vary with a better driver.
4. Each set of tires tested were on the stock TP wheels with each set having a run in the morning and afternoon sessions.
5. Each set of non-OEM (PSS) tires were heat cycled before delivery and had an average of 50 miles of driving on them before track time. I realize additional mileage would make a difference on the tires tested, but all started equal as delivered.
6. Car Setup -
a. 2016 GT350 TP / Track Mode setting
b. Modifications - Steeda 2-point G-Trac Front Brace, MM CC plates, Steeda IRS subframe braces, Steeda IRS subframe alignment kit, Steeda Ultra Light Jacking Rails, FTBR IRS Vertical Links, FTBR IRS Toe Links, and FRPP differential bushing Kit. I will upgrade the IRS upper/lower control arm and subframe bushings next month with the FTBR parts.
c. Front Camber: -1.9, Front Caster: 7.00, Front Toe Total - 0.05 In
d. Rear Camber: -1.3, Rear Toe Total - -0.30 In
e. Car was corner weighted during the alignment process.
7. Tires tested included the stock Pilot Super Sports, Pilot Sport Cup 2, Bridgestone RE-71R and the Hankook R-S3 v2 on the stock TP wheels. Sizes are listed with the time differentials.
8. Test Conditions-
a. Ambient Temps - 97~99F
b. Took the afternoon times and averaged the three best laps in clear traffic conditions.
c. Course was a 1.7 mile layout with 11 turns. Testing next week will be on the same track, but a 3.1 mile layout with 16 turns in the opposite direction. I was able to secure some guest time the day before the event and will test the MSPP and RE-71R on the stock wheels as baselines against the next setup, but more importantly to compare the time differentials on a longer track. Once again, non-scientific as the wheels, rear tire sizes and brake pads will be switched along with the new tires at the next event.

Times -
1. Lap differentials are based off a baseline of Zero with the stock wheel/tire setup, but with the suspension mods listed above.

A. Michelin Pilot Super Sport, F-295-35-19, R-305/35/19 - Baseline
B. Hankook R-S3 v2, Front/Rear 305/30/19 -1.97 seconds
C. Bridgestone RE-71R, Front/Rear 305/30/19 -2.24 seconds
D. Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2, Front/Rear 305/30/19 -2.41 seconds

Hot Tire Pressures -
1. Based on fine tuning over the weekend.

A. Michelin Pilot Super Sport, F-36 R-35
B. Hankook R-S3 v2, F-34 R-33
C. Bridgestone RE-71R, F-35 R-33
D. Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2, F-34 R-33

General Comments-
Add tomorrow.

Bridgestone RE-71R Images-
1. After eight track sessions over two course events and 1100 highway miles.

Did you find that the 305/30/19 Cup 2 tires fit on the front stock wheels well and without rubbing? Was your speedo thrown off at all due to difference in rear size or did you compensate?
Sponsored

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
Great post. So to reiterate, you ran OEM sizes for the PSS, but not the actual bespoke GT350 version of PSS?

mmm635

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350R
Any of you guys running Hoosiers? I bought a set and never used them as my car was sold before that happened. If I remember correctly, they were not much more than Michelins. If you are going to track seriously, then slicks are the way to go.

I could feel a huge amount of difference just breaking them in on the street - stuck like glue. Race pads with Hoosiers would make the braking even better.

Jb350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 track pack
Any of you guys running Hoosiers? I bought a set and never used them as my car was sold before that happened. If I remember correctly, they were not much more than Michelins. If you are going to track seriously, then slicks are the way to go.

I could feel a huge amount of difference just breaking them in on the street - stuck like glue. Race pads with Hoosiers would make the braking even better.
Do you still have them? In what size? Would u want to sell?

Bingo13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT350R, '16 GT350 TRP, '18 GT PP2, '03 Cobra
Did you find that the 305/30/19 Cup 2 tires fit on the front stock wheels well and without rubbing? Was your speedo thrown off at all due to difference in rear size or did you compensate?
The Cup 2's fit fine on the stock front wheels. In fact, the RE-71R is a little wider than the Cup 2 and zero issues with it. As for the speedo, I could update it with a tune, but have not yet. I just pulled out the trusty conversion chart so I know true speeds at 65 and up.

Sponsored

Bingo13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
Great post. So to reiterate, you ran OEM sizes for the PSS, but not the actual bespoke GT350 version of PSS?
I ran the Ford version of the PSS that was delivered on the car in the OEM sizes.

mmm635

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350R
Do you still have them? In what size? Would u want to sell?
Yes, I still have them. If you are interested, PM and you will get a sweet deal.

Sprintamx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
Quote: "As for testing, I have two sets of the stock wheels and two sets of the 6GR wheels. I have the next set of tires/wheels to be tested stored in a facility at the track I am visiting. All of the tires were heat cycled before delivery and the Contis and Trofeo R are already installed. I will arrive a day early, install each set on the car and put about 50 miles on them. I will run the first two sessions with the Contis and the next two sessions with the Trofeo R."

If you wouldn't mind clarifying: Are the 6GR wheels a square setup with identical widths and offsets, or are you only running identical tires on the stock wheel sizes?

Thanks,
Aaron

hal_farthead

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black GT350 - Tech pkg
No track time in my car yet, and I've been running the stock MPSS on mine for autocross. From what I have seen at AX events, the RE-71 really is a magic tire. A guy in my class with a vette switched from MPSS to RE-71 and improved about 1.5 seconds per run. And the RE-71s will save you about $50 per tire.

Sponsored

Jb350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 track pack
Quote: "As for testing, I have two sets of the stock wheels and two sets of the 6GR wheels. I have the next set of tires/wheels to be tested stored in a facility at the track I am visiting. All of the tires were heat cycled before delivery and the Contis and Trofeo R are already installed. I will arrive a day early, install each set on the car and put about 50 miles on them. I will run the first two sessions with the Contis and the next two sessions with the Trofeo R."

If you wouldn't mind clarifying: Are the 6GR wheels a square setup with identical widths and offsets, or are you only running identical tires on the stock wheel sizes?

Thanks,
Aaron
R specs are just that, identical to the spec of the gt350R wheels. 11 front 11.5 rear

Bingo13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)

Thanks,
Aaron
I am running the stock TP wheels as is with four 305/30/19 tires and the stock 295/302 setup. For the 6GR wheels they will be run as is with both 305/315 and 305/325 setups depending on the tires. I have not switched to same offset wheels with spacers and new studs for the front, yet. That comes in December. ;)

Sprintamx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
I am running the stock TP wheels as is with four 305/30/19 tires and the stock 295/302 setup. For the 6GR wheels they will be run as is with both 305/315 and 305/325 setups depending on the tires. I have not switched to same offset wheels with spacers and new studs for the front, yet. That comes in December. ;)
If you can find a workable square wheel setup, that will be a great bonus for getting extra life / longevity out of track day tires.

Bingo13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
If you can find a workable square wheel setup, that will be a great bonus for getting extra life / longevity out of track day tires.
I think I have a perfect solution now, will find out once the wheels get here next month. In the meantime, the Cup 2s are mounted on the first set of 6GR wheels, the Contis getting mounted on the second set shortly. :D

Sponsored