Sponsored

Track gear/helmet recommendations?

_M_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A Mustang
Alright, I have never had my own helmet, gear, etc.

What do you guys recommend as bare minimum and any preference on helmets?
Sponsored

Last edited:

mattlqx

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mach 1, '16 F-150, '14 Fiesta ST, '14 Audi A7
Closed-face SA2010 or SA2015 helmet. Most organizations only allow the current Snell certification (they come out every 5 years) and the prior one, so if you get a '15, you'll be good for 10 years. Though, you can probably find good deals on '10 helmets. It's up to you and your budget. Get what you can afford, a fancy helmet won't be all that much better than a non-fancy one if you're a beginner. You should get something pretty competent in the $300 range. My first helmet was a Bell SA2005 in matte black finish. It was pretty solid for a cheapo helmet and bonus, you could paint it yourself if you fancy that. Now that that is expired, I got a fancy-pants Stilo helmet because I do endurance races so integrated comms and drinks are a big plus. But you don't need any of that for basic HPDE stuff.

Decide what kind of neck protection you may want to use. Foam donuts are useless. Hans/Necks-Gen/etc are going to be the best thing you can get but most will require additional hardware on your car (bars/cage, harnesses) and as discussed in other threads, some of those implementations won't necessarily increase your overall safety. Look into Simpsons Hybrid perhaps? That's what they used on the Track Tour with the stock 3-point belts.

Those are the two biggest things. Consider a pair of driving gloves if you like. They cut down a little bit on sensation, but they help grip especially if your palms get sweaty. I have all Alpinestars gear (gloves, suit, shoes, etc). I'm really happy with all of it, it's comfortable and was pretty cost effective. But all of that is for when you want to do stuff beyond HPDEs.

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
I have an HJC SA2010 Helmet. I'd recommend getting an SA2015 if you can find one you like so you'll have 10 years of use with it. A big part is finding one that fits well.

I have the black version:
http://hjc-motorsports.com/products/ar-10-ii-2/#.VwSt1aQrLmE

I also just bought a pair of gloves at my last trackday @ Sonoma (they have a race equipment store, so I was able to try some gloves on and find the right size). I wasn't too particular, just wanted something relatively inexpensive, that would help maintain grip when my hands get sweaty. Ended up going with these from OMP:
http://www.ompamerica.com/product_info.php/cPath/1_7/products_id/250

I think they were $75 at the Sonoma Raceway store.

Shoes may be the next item I go for. But first I need to change the pedals in the car so I can better heel/toe shift. I have a hard time with the current setup.

-T

Reactions: _M_

Bossing

attacks tracks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just can't get enuff!
Yup, take note of what Matt and T recommended above^^

Before I started to track on real road courses early last year I used to autocross in my previous cars since 2012 and I actually had both open and closed face helmets both by Racequip and SA2010 ratings. They're both acceptable equipment for HPDEs and priced failrly low but if I knew back then what I know now, I'd probably get either Bell or Simpson helmets. In any case, definitely opt for the latest SA2015 rating.

Like T said, the pedals are not ideallly placed for heel & toe'ing.... the gas pedal is set so low while the brake pedal is set quite high so when you start pressing on the brake pedal and then trying to roll over to hit the gas pedal, you're literally almost stopping the car more than tou want while your right ankle is bending beyond an optimal comfortable manner. The pedals are not conducive unlike in Porsches for example where pedal spacing is spot on, at least for me. I feel that H&T'ing on the stock setup feels like starting all over again therefore muscle memory is relearning from scratch- all awkwardly.

Reactions: _M_

jlwdvm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 350R, '13 Boss 302, '15 Z/28, '69 TA
I have a Zamp SA2010 helmet that I have been using for the last 3 years at HPDE's with my Boss 302. I recently picked up a slightly used 2013 HANS Sport 2. I have stock belts in my Boss and GT350. I always thought the air bags would take the place of a HANS, but I got such a good deal on the HANS that I bought it. Overkill?

Sponsored

mattlqx

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mach 1, '16 F-150, '14 Fiesta ST, '14 Audi A7
I have a Zamp SA2010 helmet that I have been using for the last 3 years at HPDE's with my Boss 302. I recently picked up a slightly used 2013 HANS Sport 2. I have stock belts in my Boss and GT350. I always thought the air bags would take the place of a HANS, but I got such a good deal on the HANS that I bought it. Overkill?
What do you plan on adding so that you can use the Hans?

jlwdvm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 350R, '13 Boss 302, '15 Z/28, '69 TA
I have a 10-point cage with a 5-point harness in my 69 firebird that will be my main track car after it is finished in the near future. Are shoulder belts necessary to use a HANS...what needs to be added to the 350?

OP
OP
_M_

_M_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A Mustang
Excellent feedback gentlemen. Thanks.

I think a lot of people will benefit from the advice in this thread

Sprintamx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
Some good advice so far.

A few more points to consider:

If you use eyeglasses or plan to wear sunglasses, go for a helmet with a wider eye-port.
Consider getting a helmet with removable lining for easier wash-ability (only you know how much you'll perspire . . .). Personally, I wear a Nomex balaclava in all conditions, regardless of whether I'm racing, instructing or doing a general track day; I find it keeps my helmet at bit fresher.
Consider going for a helmet with the ability to integrate communications or at least cut-outs or reduced padding for a speaker. This is not an expensive item in many helmets, and can be helpful if you have an instructor with a Chatterbox or similar comm device.
Consider getting a tinted visor if you're sensitive to glare, but also have a clear visor.

HJC is a good value option, and has some higher-end options. OMP is in this camp also. My personal value preference is Bell helmets. They have good choices throughout the price range, and you can find a relatively lightweight composite option with removable padding, ear relief for communication, wide eye port, good attempts at venting and visor options for $400 - $500.

Bell is my favorite because their shell and padding designs and sizing system fits me well, even with a balaclava. You'll need to consider that even if several manufacturers identify their helmets as a 7 5/8, for example, they will not fit the same. You want to stay focused on your comfort and go as lightweight as your budget will allow. If you can find somewhere to try on helmets or work with a seller that is flexible with a try-and-return policy, that's your best bet.

The Stilo previously mentioned is a very, very sweet setup, and is one of the best helmets and package set-ups available outside of a custom fit. But, pricing starts at $900+ and goes up from there.

I'm a huge personal fan of driving gloves. Lots of good options under $100. Some folks prefer external seam only gloves because they're more comfortable with the tight tolerances good driving gloves will have. For me, that construction issue depends on the particular glove and how its executed. Two pairs ago I had external seams; my current pair is internal and they were the most comfortable of the many different types I tried. Also, consider getting a higher visibility color (like red) to help your hand signals be noticed.

Driving shoes. This can depend. I'm at the point where I can (and sometimes do) drive with anything other than a work boot. But, if you're new to heel-toeing then it can be helpful to get a driving shoe that offers a harder and wider sole and construction to help with rolling your foot over and getting the throttle. This is a personal choice thing and something that you probably don't need to worry about your first time or two on track.

How's that for too much information . . .?
Sponsored