Sponsored

Track Day Mini Report

Sprintamx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
I was helping to train some new HPDE instructors and was able to take advantage of lots of open track time. For those familiar with NJMP, I was on the Lightning track, a short flow course with some good high speed areas and a few interesting transitions.

Conditions were bright and clear, with morning ambient temps in the morning around 65 F, up the mid 70s by the afternoon. Beautiful driving conditions. All runs were in the "advanced" group: GT3s, Cup Cars, race cars, etc.

I have the Tech Pack. The seats are not good for intense high speed driving, but we know that. They are, however, terrific for the ride home.

I've kept the car stock except for catch cans / AOS. Michelin PSS and factory alignment.

The good: As many other owners have reported, the Shelby is a fantastic package. Well balanced, phenomenal braking, awesome power and set up to handle its weight very well. Great mechanical grip, very smooth power delivery, composed under even challenging transitions and very controllable. Ford set this car up very well, and the nannies in Track Mode are pretty transparent.

This car is fun and fast, and relatively easy to drive fast and hard because it is so well set up. It is not flickable because of the weight, but if you plan the transitions and take advantage of the tons of mechanical grip, you can corner as well as a much lighter car. And those brakes! They have to be one of the best, if not the best, factory street car brake packages ever. The car rotates well under late and trail braking, and responds very well to throttle steering.

During my sessions I was able to move faster than everything other than a Porsche Cup car (professional race car). Bravo Ford!

The Bad: Limp mode! No mystery here at this point. I managed 12 minutes during the first session, then 10, then 7. After that I stopped taking the car out and switched over to a race car. Not good and a real buzz kill.

This is not a primary track car at all, but I'll certainly be looking to address this issue with coolers and passive heat management.

You'll note I chose to focus on what the car is and does, not what it isn't and doesn't do.

Enjoy!
Sponsored

Last edited: