Towing the car on a U-Haul trailer

Bullitt$Bill

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt L3456, 2018 F150 CC Lariat, 18 HD SGS
Anyone have experience towing their car on a U-Haul trailer? Were you able to drive it right on or did you need boards for the ramps for clearance? Looks like the tire stops in the front are six inches high and the front of the car should clear those OK. Any issues with the tie downs over the tires?

I used to tow a 36' foot fifth wheel with my F350 PSD so not worried about the towing aspect. Never towed a car before though and the wife will most likely be the spotter putting it on. She was no help backing up the fifth wheel so I finally gave up on that. Maybe I'll ask a neighbor. LOL

Thanks!
Sponsored

Ecoboosted

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Mustang GT, 19' Road Glide
I used a couple of car haulers from U Haul and Penske. Both worked fine.

Just drive it right on. No xtra boards were needed. The ramps they provide are adequate. The tie downs work good. After a few miles and periodically check the tie downs. I had one come loose once.

Make sure to center the car on the hauler because you’ll only have a couple inches on either side.

The fender on the drivers side unlatches and tilts outward so your door won’t hit it.

The hardest part is using the chains to secure the car from underneath.

Good luck

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bullitt$Bill

Bullitt$Bill

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
Thanks!

I thought U-Haul provided tire tie down straps to use. I'm going to go to a store to check them out before too long. Wondering if they work well.

SmokinAces

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350
Hello Bill, I have been using uhaul to tow my car for track or service. First you need to measure your the bottom of your front splitter/bumper to the ground. If your above 6 inches you should be ok. If your at 6 inches you WILL rub on the trailer ramps. You’ll need to raise the front thru wood or race ramps. Then you’ll need to manufacture or purchase some wood to clear the stops at the front of the trailer. Hopefully the pics help. But I can give you some better dimensions when I get home if you need.

BB31858A-C630-4A08-BBA4-0CE11561FB2C.jpeg

743FE0BA-2D00-46F4-8C45-BE1C8995F393.jpeg

B6B4D061-1E69-4752-AFC4-F459C1F757B7.jpeg

7922F535-49A4-44A1-918B-227D96C0DA64.jpeg

Ecoboosted

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here’s a picture when I moved from Wisconsin to Florida back in July

40680703-1154-468E-9B70-1EC097ACB6E5.jpeg

Sponsored

Ecoboosted

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks!

I thought U-Haul provided tire tie down straps to use. I'm going to go to a store to check them out before too long. Wondering if they work well.
Yes they come with the tire tie down straps. They work good. Just check them periodically because I had one come loose once.

SmokinAces

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350
Hey Ecoboosted, I just noticed that’s a Penske you were using. The dimensions look different. That might actually work better for the OP’s needs. He wouldn’t need any ramps or wood to clear the trailer ramps and stops.

OP
OP
Bullitt$Bill

Bullitt$Bill

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
Everyone - thanks very much for all your comments and especially the pictures! A huge help!

I measured the front of the Bullitt and believe it or not there's 8"s of clearance. I would never have guessed there was that much.

Looking at those pictures of the UHaul it doesn't appear you can get the door open. I'm not exactly fat but how do you get out of the car? Climb through a window or fold down the back seats and go out the trunk???

SmokinAces

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350
I'm not exactly fat but how do you get out of the car?
on the uhaul, the drivers side fender folds down and out of the way. I’m surprised as well that your clearance is 8 inches. But she’s still a beauty sir!!

OP
OP
Bullitt$Bill

Bullitt$Bill

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
on the uhaul, the drivers side fender folds down and out of the way. I’m surprised as well that your clearance is 8 inches. But she’s still a beauty sir!!
Thanks Eddie! I love the car - didn't buy it until October and it's been sitting all winter. Finally nice to get it out the last couple days. And it's supposed to snow here again tonight and tomorrow...

Penske only rents the car trailers with a truck. I haven't decided on full service move or a truck rental yet. But it'll be two-three months until the stuff in house in moved after I go. So I'm just going to tow the car with my truck. I don't want to be without the car that long!

Sponsored

SmokinAces

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350
it's been sitting all winter.
oh yeah Bill, I get antsy when I don’t ride or drive my babys so I understand. Got to have her with you. Thnx, wasn’t aware Penske didn’t rent the trailer itself.

Matthewstorm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium
Hello Bill, I have been using uhaul to tow my car for track or service. First you need to measure your the bottom of your front splitter/bumper to the ground. If your above 6 inches you should be ok. If your at 6 inches you WILL rub on the trailer ramps. You’ll need to raise the front thru wood or race ramps. Then you’ll need to manufacture or purchase some wood to clear the stops at the front of the trailer. Hopefully the pics help. But I can give you some better dimensions when I get home if you need.

BB31858A-C630-4A08-BBA4-0CE11561FB2C.jpeg

743FE0BA-2D00-46F4-8C45-BE1C8995F393.jpeg

B6B4D061-1E69-4752-AFC4-F459C1F757B7.jpeg

7922F535-49A4-44A1-918B-227D96C0DA64.jpeg
What's all the tape for?

Christurek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone have experience towing their car on a U-Haul trailer? Were you able to drive it right on or did you need boards for the ramps for clearance? Looks like the tire stops in the front are six inches high and the front of the car should clear those OK. Any issues with the tie downs over the tires?

I used to tow a 36' foot fifth wheel with my F350 PSD so not worried about the towing aspect. Never towed a car before though and the wife will most likely be the spotter putting it on. She was no help backing up the fifth wheel so I finally gave up on that. Maybe I'll ask a neighbor. LOL

Thanks!
I lowered my car and used a uhaul trailer. I had to use boards and I had to use wood to prop up the front so I wouldn't scrape. I couldn't open my doors because if the wheel wells of the trailer so I had to crawl out of the trunk. I used extra straps on top of using the uhaul provided straps. I lost a strap along the drive (I found out when I got to my destination) so my straps definitely kept the car on the trailer. I drove over the grapevine in California with my car trailered and I was scared the whole time 😅. It seemed to do ok though. I don't think I'd ever do it again though.