Sponsored

TOMTOP 8" Touchscreen Upgrade: Post-Install Issues & Help Thread

Kbreese

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT Premium, Black/Saddle.
For $300 it is an amazing upgrade. Well worth the cost. Even if it only lasts a year I wouldn't feel regret about the purchase.
This is such a problematic mindset that plagues us nowadays. So many people have such low expectations of how long things should & will last, and unfortunately manufacturers are well aware. And so many of them know they only have to prioritize the initial oooh's and ahhh's stage. Sad how so many things don't least nearly as long as they used to...like kitchen appliances for example. Frustrating.

Steeeliskt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Manual
This is such a problematic mindset that plagues us nowadays. So many people have such low expectations of how long things should & will last, and unfortunately manufacturers are well aware. And so many of them know they only have to prioritize the initial oooh's and ahhh's stage. Sad how so many things don't least nearly as long as they used to...like kitchen appliances for example. Frustrating.
Come on man -- we are buying some undocumented piece of equipment, from an out of country distributor who clearly isn't working closely with the manufacturer. Expectations should be very low for an item such as this.

When a more reputable stereo company comes out with their own solution and charges me 3x-4x the amount this unit costs, of course I expect it to work flawlessly and last a very long time.

I spoke with a very well known stereo company in my area who fabricates their own interfaces and bezels to fit different cars with custom set ups to get some assistance with an electrical issue and they mentioned they put an Alpine custom stereo into a 2016 Mustang and it was the first time they did it and it was a pain in the ass so they charged the guy accordingly. For $300 and an hour of your time, this, as I mentioned, is an amazing upgrade relative to cost of getting it done professionally with a "name brand"

OP
OP
Melekith

Melekith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Ok, sorry I've been a little MIA, work has been kicking my ass lately. I've updated the OP to now include the (only) manual that was provided to us, as well as a couple of additional issues that I read about here in this thread.

Sponsored

Kbreese

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT Premium, Black/Saddle.
Come on man -- we are buying some undocumented piece of equipment, from an out of country distributor who clearly isn't working closely with the manufacturer. Expectations should be very low for an item such as this.

When a more reputable stereo company comes out with their own solution and charges me 3x-4x the amount this unit costs, of course I expect it to work flawlessly and last a very long time.

I spoke with a very well known stereo company in my area who fabricates their own interfaces and bezels to fit different cars with custom set ups to get some assistance with an electrical issue and they mentioned they put an Alpine custom stereo into a 2016 Mustang and it was the first time they did it and it was a pain in the ass so they charged the guy accordingly. For $300 and an hour of your time, this, as I mentioned, is an amazing upgrade relative to cost of getting it done professionally with a "name brand"
I understand what you mean, but to he happy with it only lasting a year? It's still a $300 item. To each their own I guess.

Steeeliskt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Manual
I understand what you mean, but to he happy with it only lasting a year? It's still a $300 item. To each their own I guess.
lol, don't get me wrong. I wouldn't have spent the $300 if I really thought it would only last a year.

tritran18518

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Base
Test screen out (screen mirrow) feature with bluray player. Work perfect.
uploadfromtaptalk1452296445102.jpg

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

Steeeliskt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Manual
That means this mirror box i bought should work
What do you intend to use this for? I understand the function but what real world functionality will you be using it for?

Sponsored

sarcean

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang ecoboost
I installed it last night and the screen does not turn in. I know the new power harness works because when I plug the part into the cd player it makes a sound. Any ideas? I followed all the instructions and am at a loss

Edwin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Edwin
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Mustang - Triple Yellow
Make sure the harness you unplugged from the original screen is plugged into the new harness snugly and that the white harness that plugs into the new screen is really in there tight.

JStang091

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost PP
I had this issue too, the white connector needed a good push to click in, at least mine did. I don't know if something was bent.
Sponsored