CBK509

CBK509
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
Before installing the Tomtop, I would scroll through my radio preset channels by using the arrow on the steering wheel. With the Tomtop, that same arrow button on my steering wheel basically scans to find the next channel, which is not necessarily my next preset channel. Is there any way to fix this in the settings? I like to use that button to go through my preset channels. Am I missing something here? Thanks.

Steeeliskt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Manual
Before installing the Tomtop, I would scroll through my radio preset channels by using the arrow on the steering wheel. With the Tomtop, that same arrow button on my steering wheel basically scans to find the next channel, which is not necessarily my next preset channel. Is there any way to fix this in the settings? I like to use that button to go through my preset channels. Am I missing something here? Thanks.
Yeah, that kinda bugged me too. No solution around it. To go through your presets, hit the up arrow on the actual dash controls. It actually works out pretty well, my hand can rest across the shifter and I just use my middle finger to hit the up arrow

ATLDesigns550

Threads
Reaction score
Website
craigbrimanson.myportfolio.com
First Name
Craig
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black Ecoboost
So what I am gathering from reading this thread and a bit of others on here that the software used with the Tomtop just taps into the car's Sync system but is not using My Ford Touch. Just a knockoff MFT UI correct?

And with all these issues people are talking about does Tomtop offer Firmware upgrades and if so where do they post them? I didn't see anything on their site.

My only concern is if there is no support from Tomtop with their product what's the point buying this if there is still issues that need fixing and what if phone compatibility issues arise as Apple and Samsung - among others - upgrade their OS year after year.

And noticing that people are having issues getting full refunds for defective products and no customer support for some turns me off. BUT I really want this to be a solution! HA. So someone talk me into it.

Clarkson

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clarkson
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang V6 Ingot Silver Manual
So what I am gathering from reading this thread and a bit of others on here that the software used with the Tomtop just taps into the car's Sync system but is not using My Ford Touch. Just a knockoff MFT UI correct?

And with all these issues people are talking about does Tomtop offer Firmware upgrades and if so where do they post them? I didn't see anything on their site.

My only concern is if there is no support from Tomtop with their product what's the point buying this if there is still issues that need fixing and what if phone compatibility issues arise as Apple and Samsung - among others - upgrade their OS year after year.

And noticing that people are having issues getting full refunds for defective products and no customer support for some turns me off. BUT I really want this to be a solution! HA. So someone talk me into it.
With the price tho, I would say such grade of customer service is somewhat expected and acceptable for me.

Sponsored

ATLDesigns550

Threads
Reaction score
Website
craigbrimanson.myportfolio.com
First Name
Craig
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black Ecoboost
With the price tho, I would say such grade of customer service is somewhat expected and acceptable for me.
Yeah but if you get a defective unit and they only offer a 50% refund it's rolling the dice and pissing your money away.

As much as I want a shiny 8" screen in my center console I don't want it to be buggy and crap out 8mo later and have to tear my dash apart agin.

Clarkson

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clarkson
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang V6 Ingot Silver Manual
Yeah but if you get a defective unit and they only offer a 50% refund it's rolling the dice and pissing your money away.

As much as I want a shiny 8" screen in my center console I don't want it to be buggy and crap out 8mo later and have to tear my dash apart agin.
Yeah I know that feeling. But thats kinda the only option out there. The tomtop unit is close to the stock unit and has similar system. I really hope someone can come up with some better units and I wouldn't mind spend like 1000bucks if it works flawlessly. At the moment tho, I would just spend 300bucks and just use it as a GPS

Steeeliskt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Manual

I wouldn't worry about the software updates on the phones. Essentially all the Tomptop unit is doing is connecting to the device via bluetooth and then the Sync system takes over from there. I don't see updates being an issue unless they completely change the way bluetooth works, which wouldn't make sense because of the existing market for the way bluetooth currently works.

Buy it through Paypal. If you do happen to have some kind of issue with the unit, you can try and get support from Tomtop. If they blow you off, you go through Paypal and create a claim. They have 10 days to respond, if they don't, your money will be refunded back to you, or they respond and then have to send you a new product.

I upgraded to this unit knowing it was only $300, and in the future, if a much better unit comes out for $500-$1,000; I will upgrade again. I've had it installed since December without any issues. Very minor stuff. The time would bug me, but my unit displays and remembers the correct time.

For $300, it is well worth the upgrade. If you want to spend a bit more and have a little more know-how, you can go the MFT swap which has no bugs.

I feel the Tomptop unit is definitely worth the cost.

ProfessorKel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Mustang GT - California Special
Reading through these comments, perhaps I am in the minority?

I have the NOV 2015 version of TomTop and I absolutely love it. For $300 flat (I installed it myself), it's been a fantastic upgrade and I haven't noticed any bugs other than 2 minor issues that have already been reported (i.e., "ph" in phone connected being cut-off when sync is on, and the mute button in Chinese).

My clock is fine, the GPS maps and voice(s) are very accurate, Sync works perfectly, the reverse camera looks SO much better now, and I can even play videos through a USB stick.

Are other users experiencing problems with this edition of TomTop? Or did I get lucky with my current unit?

Soliz53

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
Wish I would have got lucky. Still waiting for a resolution from eBay. Everything works but there is no picture. Even the touch screen works lol.

Sponsored

ProfessorKel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wish I would have got lucky. Still waiting for a resolution from eBay. Everything works but there is no picture. Even the touch screen works lol.
Oh wow! I'm sorry to hear that! What seller was it?

My seller's name was "Newmango". It arrived in 3 days (from LA to Nor Cal) and the unit has been excellent!

Soliz53

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
Oh wow! I'm sorry to hear that! What seller was it?

My seller's name was "Newmango". It arrived in 3 days (from LA to Nor Cal) and the unit has been excellent!
Same one i got it in 9 days and it worked for a whole day and then blank screen.:frusty:

Niz55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
Does this thing have audio out put to run aftermarket amp?

ProfessorKel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's a great point. I normally use Pandora so I never noticed that until today.

Not sure if it's something you can change; I could be wrong though.
Sponsored