Sponsored

Toe in-out steering feel Mustag vs Tesla

Double

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Ruby Red A10
Vehicle Showcase
I have a 2018 Mustang GT (EU spec) and I have some questions about the steering feel vs a Tesla model 3. Driven both for many miles and I noticed the Tesla turns way sharpen (twitchy) and reacts much much quicker on steering input, downside is that higher speeds or while accelerating it requires a lot of little corrections to keep straight. While the Mustang just loves higher speeds and accelerating, stable and confident. Especially in slight bends I dare to push the Mustang much further without feeling like it's on the edge. Even though the Tesla can prolly take a lot more it doesn't feel like it can.

Whenever I drive the Tesla it does feel very nice and go-cart like while the Mustang especially at slower speeds it's hard to put it where you want it. And I kinda miss a little of the sharpness and directness in the Mustang steering at slower speeds.

I do also notice some tramlining on the Mustang while I have zero on the Tesla.

How much of all this can come down to 'toe-in' 'toe-out' Mustang vs Tesla? My understanding is that the Mustang has a slight toe-in and the Tesla a slight toe-out. Could this explain some of the steering feel and stability differences between these two? Driving both is a night and day difference, could a slight toe-in vs toe-out even make such a difference on street cars?
Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
yes. and put both cars on an alignment rig and compare settings. Caster is also a factor.
the V8 is nose heavy. My EB feels 'darty' by comparison. The Tesla has the weight at a very low height and 'equally' suspended between the front/rear axles. The steering ratio is likely also dramatically different between the two.

Last edited:

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
This Mustang tramlines very badly imo. There are ways to mitigate it but it's still going to do it some no matter what you do.
Sponsored