Sponsored

Time to Learn how to Drive Stick

dbrown1414

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350 DIB Tech, 02 Mitsubishi Eclipse (daily)
I'm 26, graduated college in civil engineering, and wanted to treat myself.
Congrats man! I'm in a similar situation. I'm 25 and a mechanical engineer. I graduated 3 years ago and decided to treat myself with the GT350 as soon as it was announced. I've had mine for just under 2 months and its great! Only driven manual a few times before. Take it slow and you'll get it in no time.
Sponsored

GTA Mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT350
Congrats man! I'm in a similar situation. I'm 25 and a mechanical engineer. I graduated 3 years ago and decided to treat myself with the GT350 as soon as it was announced. I've had mine for just under 2 months and its great! Only driven manual a few times before. Take it slow and you'll get it in no time.
I am an electrical engineer graduated in 1985. I thought myself how to drive a stick shift car when I bought a used Toyota Celica in 1979. The GT350 is the 15th stick shift car I own.

bdub85

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bobby
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Package Shadow Black
I am an electrical engineer graduated in 1985. I thought myself how to drive a stick shift car when I bought a used Toyota Celica in 1979. The GT350 is the 15th stick shift car I own.
Engineer bros unite!

OP
OP
Blaze489

Blaze489

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 SHELBY GT350 Magnetic Track Pack
Called my dealer today and they do not rent out manuals. My salesman then contacted the company they use when people have an extended warranty and need a rental, and they too do not have manuals. So I will call some other local companies to see if they have any.

I do have friends who have manuals, but I did not tell anybody I ordered this car, because it will be a surprise.

Sponsored

GTA Mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT350
Called my dealer today and they do not rent out manuals. My salesman then contacted the company they use when people have an extended warranty and need a rental, and they too do not have manuals. So I will call some other local companies to see if they have any.

I do have friends who have manuals, but I did not tell anybody I ordered this car, because it will be a surprise.
When I went to Belgium last summer the Avis rental car was a small Peugeot SUV with manual! :clap2:

The only time I drove a loaner with manual was one from an Audi dealer some 6 or 7 years ago. An A3 hatchback. :D

The worse manual vehicle I've ever own was an old Chevy van with 3 on the tree. It jammed up all the time. A number of times I had to crawl under the front of the van to unjam the linkage. Had to keep it really well greased all the time.

Today the only automatic car I have in my stable is the Challenger Hellcat. That car is much better off being automatic because the clutch in the manual car is SUPER HEAVY, hard to drive in traffic.

Last edited:

bdub85

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bobby
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Package Shadow Black
When I went to Belgium last summer the Avis rental car was a small Peugeot SUV with manual! :clap2:

The only time I drove a loaner with manual was one from an Audi dealer some 6 or 7 years ago. An A3 hatchback. :D

The worse manual vehicle I've ever own was an old Chevy van with 3 on the tree. It jammed up all the time. A number of times I had to crawl under the front of the van to unjam the linkage. Had to keep it really well greased all the time.

Today the only automatic car I have in my stable is the Challenger Hellcat. That car is much better off being automatic because the clutch in the manual car is SUPER HEAVY, hard to drive in traffic.
It's crazy when you go to Europe, pretty much everything is manual.

john1028

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Mustang GT
I didn't know how to drive a stick when I bought my GT. I learned in the dealer parking lot after 10-15 mins practice. I was comfortable enough to take it out on a test drive.

I recommend finding a flat area and just practice getting the car moving using the clutch. Don't worry about adding the throttle. Practice on getting used to the clutch bite point.

When you are ready to apply throttle, remember you can always stick your clutch foot in to prevent the car from stalling. It's ok to slip the clutch a little while you are getting used to it (rev to 1500-2000 and slowly let the clutch out while not letting the revs drop too fast to the point of stalling).

You'll be fine and the car will be fine.

TxShelby350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 TP

If they are good enough friends just ask one of them to teach you to drive a manual in their car. Just tell them you've really been wanting to learn. Don't have to tell them why!

Sponsored

Cascadia_302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 RubyRed GT M6 Premium
I made a point to study how my dad drove our '76 Datsun B210 manual before getting my license. And granted it was probably one of the easiest cars to drive at the time but l just hopped in and drove it like l'd been doing it for years. Still remember my mom being so concerned about me driving that 4 speed lol.

WHealy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Way back when my girlfriend taught me how to drive a stick. She had one before I did and let me practice on her car. (which is probably why I married her)

I remember there were months after learning how to drive that I still was adjusting to unique situations with the manual. You will simply get better with time, but don't expect it to be a few day thing IMO.

I would suggest the clutch spring swap as for me that made a huge difference in getting back into the swing of driving a stick.

As for who and when anyone "deserves" these cars, I wouldn't worry about it. There are plenty of that part of this thread in any forum I've ever participated in. Plan the best you can based on what you know and people you trust advice. Then just move forward with your choices.

raiderjatt02

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jessie
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 - Track Pack; 1995 GT - Saleen Clone
Go to Dave and busters and find the old F350 game and put in manual mode.
That game was awesome! First and only one I've ever played that didn't let you move the shifter unless the clutch was in. AND you could stall the car :clap2:
Sponsored