Thoughts on the GT350R

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
Just goes to show that if you want a Porsche, well, get a Porsche.
I want a Porsche, just can't afford a Porsche :D :brokenheart:

Spec'd a GT3 online and my configuration exactly how I'd want it came to a little over 200K CAD LOL

mrdci

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiesta ST, Raptor SCrew, '17 GT350R HR083, E39 Dinan M5
Good suggestions but as much thought that goes into these cars there is someone somewhere that may have killed the idea for cost. Have you watched the video for A Faster Horse (link below) on all the meetings and each part that goes through checks etc to build a normal mustang and not the special GT350. So what you think is only 1-2K in parts may be millions in development to get it just right so we dont crash or worse get passed by a BMW or Chevy. These factors on a limited 5K production car a year could add 10's of thousands to the price when they literally argue over a few cents in the overall production run.

[ame]

Sponsored

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
If ford would build a higher level sports car, it would sell. Wasn't there 6,000 entries for a 450k GT? Why not a 200k sports car that would rival Porsche and Mclaren's offerings?
Chevy is getting ready to throw out a mid engine for the masses. Would be nice if ford would do the same.

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
Just goes to show that if you want a Porsche, well, get a Porsche.
For the money, what's better than your R?
I personally think nothing even comes close. I could have bought a Z06 or a Viper, both of which are objectively far superior in performance regards, but I think the R is a better car than both. IMO when you start looking at cars that are as good as or better than the R, the first car I come across as the price goes up is the GT3. After that you're looking at a 488 and after that... you see where I'm going :D

That's just my opinion of course, but under 300K, the 488 and GT3 are the only other 2 cars that I think are "better". Of course the F12 as well, but thats a Lot of moolah :love:

OP
OP

Conedodger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350-R
For the money, what's better than your R?
Nothing. My point is that there is room to truly build a world class muscle car with just a few minor upgrades. The sway bar on the R is unique to the R already. It would have been easy to add three adjustment holes. I don't want the R to be the pinnacle but rather a fantastic start to even better Mustang track cars. I already have a name for it. GT350-GT4:headbang:

thackl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mclaren 720s,X5,17 Raptor,c63s edeition1,1098SFS
The Porsche GT3 is also double+ the cost. Not sure how much of a market exists for $150k Ford.
Agree with the above completely. I too have a porsche.. and a mclaren.. and several other cars. It's apples and oranges. Can't compare them d/t price point. For $60k, Ford did an excellent job creating a mustang that will lap equal times with a GT3. Fit and finish, customization, "special feel" won't be there. The 350 still feels and sounds like a big muscle car... but for the price, they really accomplished something IMO

Sponsored

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
Nothing. My point is that there is room to truly build a world class muscle car with just a few minor upgrades. The sway bar on the R is unique to the R already. It would have been easy to add three adjustment holes. I don't want the R to be the pinnacle but rather a fantastic start to even better Mustang track cars. I already have a name for it. GT350-GT4:headbang:
I hear what your saying but I don't get it. I see Porsches all the time and hear the same sounds eminating from 90% of them. They're not raucous and have no character... they're just "a Porsche".

The 350R is not justa Mustang... and with that, I'll drop the mike.

jpindustrie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford Mustang
None of these alignment suspension parameter complaints are new to the S550, or really any Mustang generation.

I've always said the deciding line that keeps the Mustang where it is are the suspension adjustments - I mean, this is the first Mustang with rear camber adjustment right ? :)

I think we will see those types of touches as Ford Performance grows in stature and the amount it is contributing to the bottom line (and all signs point to yes). But I'm afraid the competition at the $150k GT3 end will have progressed far more in suspension adjustability.

Competition Orange

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I hear what your saying but I don't get it. I see Porsches all the time and hear the same sounds eminating from 90% of them. They're not raucous and have no character... they're just "a Porsche".

The 350R is not justa Mustang... and with that, I'll drop the mike.
Why were you holding him in the first place?

You're biased and that's fine. It's an ignorant statement to say all Porsches sound the same. A gt3 vs a base boxster? Get out of here with that....

thackl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mclaren 720s,X5,17 Raptor,c63s edeition1,1098SFS

You're biased and that's fine. It's an ignorant statement to say all Porsches sound the same. A gt3 vs a base boxster? Get out of here with that....
A GT3 vs a turbo..one sounds fantastic, the other like a vacuum cleaner

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302

Am I truly ignorant?... reread my statement... I said "90%" sound the same, while you misspoke and alleged I said "all".

Fake news...

I'm not biased in the sense you speak of... I just don't understand how people compare a $60k Mustang to > $100k Porsche and expect a bargain race car to come with spec racer bits n pieces. It's nonsense...

Ford learned a lot from the demise of the 14/15 Z/28 and gave R owners bang for the buck.

I am biased where I put my money though...
Sponsored