Sponsored

The perfect ethanol mix for NA S550?

robw_39

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I was just curious if others have experimented with this to figure out what the best overall mix would be.

I honestly doubt NA cars actually need E85 (108 octane) to run max timing...

And since gasoline is more efficient it might be beneficial to run close to the required ethanol for maximum knock free timing.

My car will see 32 degrees of timing during my most recent data logging dyno sessions. My Ngaugle was reading 77% alcohol during those runs but I am thinking the car might even run better with say 55% alcohol.

In the past, I always thought the closest to E85 the better and for boosted cars, I am sure that is true but for NA cars I am starting to think that might not be the case.
Sponsored

Dalton@Evolution

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dalton
Vehicle(s)
First 2020 GT500 In Da 9z
Highest % I have seen on my nGauge when I had ran E-85 consistently on my Flex Fuel tune was 77.6%. I also tested the fuel with the Holley e-85 tool and it showed pure E-85.

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
Anything past about 60% I see max timing.

Lonmon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10spd Base
I don't know if it is only a matter of max timing. Also why is it that the tuners make more power on the race e-85 over pump e-85 if max timing is all that matters. FTW has sure proven to make more power then pump e-85. I know that another benefit of the ethanol is its cooling properties. Not sure how much that plays into gains. I would love for a tuner or someone knowledgeable about this to chime in.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I don't know if it is only a matter of max timing. Also why is it that the tuners make more power on the race e-85 over pump e-85 if max timing is all that matters. FTW has sure proven to make more power then pump e-85. I know that another benefit of the ethanol is its cooling properties. Not sure how much that plays into gains. I would love for a tuner or someone knowledgeable about this to chime in.
Because the FF calibrations take it easy on timing where as the E85 "race" calibrations start with higher timing and ramp up faster.

Sponsored

Lonmon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10spd Base
That's not all. Ask or look around, guys go faster on race e-85 fuels on dedicated e-85 race tunes then on pump e-85 also. The more aggressive tuning is because of the fuel. Look at Robert Ball's runs. His fastest passes are with better fuel and he has been Lund remote tuned to the edge from the beginning on pump e-85.

Nuked

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GTPP w/Recaros
Vehicle Showcase
The "race" E85 is a more consistent fuel. If you are anywhere in the colder climates, most E85 is actually E55 or so in the winter, then switches to E85 in spring/summer. They don't drain the tank and refill, they top it off. So depending on the amount of use that particular station does it may take awhile to get the tank to pure E85. Not only that, the tank is underground and very large vs the "race" coming in a 5 gallon or 55 gallon container which is better sealed (less moisture is introduced) and more consistent mix. One would also assume since you are paying a premium for the race E85, that the base petrol in it is of a better quality vs the E85 you get at a station.

grabber yote

Corn Fed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grabber Blue 2017 GT PP
An E-50 to E60 mix of 93 and E85 seems to be the magic ratio with my Lund Flex tune. I still see max timing compared to pure E85 and my Car just pulls harder with E-50 to E-60. No dyno proof but seat of the pants, there is a difference.

VooDooDaddy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
I've been running my car on a 50/50 mix of 93 octane gasoline and Hillary Clinton's tears, and it makes my car absolutely rip!!
Sponsored