Sponsored

The GT350s place in the 2018 Model Year

HaleFire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
guys I am brand new to this forum. at 61, I decided I needed a naturally aspirated engine before they where a thing in the past. Over the last 5 weeks I have done my research and decided a gt350 with the Voooodo would be the way to go. The 2 top 10 finishes in car and driver helped. I did not know until 3 days ago about the gt refresh. You guys forgot today more than I will know about the car in the next year. So reassure me I found a 350 with strips gray and white probably 750 under sticker. The car more likely than not see a track but a high revving v8 sounds good. so is the 12 grand up charge over a loaded 2018 loaded gt a no brainer? One of the guys talked about the delta which is the cost of ownership between the two variations any thoughts would be appreciated as I am going to see the car today
To me, a 350 at near or under MSRP would be my pick over the 2018 GT. Easy decision.

However, there are some things to consider. If you like the idea of the 10 speed, want to mod the car (sounds like you do not), desire a few more creature comforts, want a better 'street-light racer' or in general want a slightly more practical car, then a GT might be the right choice.

On the other hand, if you prioritize the driving experience, then rest assured there is nothing a GT will do to touch a 350. I hate throwing around the word 'special' because it isn't very objective but that's all I can say about the 350. The feeling of rowing the gears in the excellent 6 speed, listening to that glorious sound, how tight the car handles...there is nothing more intoxicating.

I don't have any raw numbers but the 350 will have higher routine maintenance costs for oil changes, tire replacement, etc. The 350 has many unique parts so any major post-warranty repairs will likely cost more than a GT. As such, I would recommend getting the extended warranty just for peace of mind. Keep in mind that the depreciation rate on the 350 will likely be less than a GT.

Good luck, let us know how it goes. I went to the store just to look at a 350 too - I ended up buying it a few minutes later. :ford:
Sponsored

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
An oil change is $160 at my dealership lol. They give me a little "discount" though when I go in. Even the service managers are like "$160 for an oil change?! Ah...no. We'll take care of you."

MrCincinnati

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
I went to the store just to look at a 350 too - I ended up buying it a few minutes later. :ford:
Pretty much my experience also. I'd seen only 1 other 350 in person prior to seeing what would become mine. I've yet to see another R in person. Went to the dealer just to see it. Sat in it - drove it home 2 days later.

Someone else mentioned they wouldn't be driving a Ford right now if not for the GT350...

This is exactly the difference between the GT and the GT350 to me - with regard to the GT350's place in the lineup.

The only Ford I've had prior to this was a leased Ford Fusion years back as a DD for the wife. The car literally started falling apart within 3 years. At one point, no exaggeration, she parked the thing and the front passenger and driver's side doors stopped latching at same time! It was a POS. I swore off ever buying a Ford again.

The GT350 is such a great vehicle that not only did I buy another Ford - the most expensive vehicle in my stable is a Ford! The GT would never have brought me back into the fold - regardless of specs.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
This is what I'd say regarding GT vs GT350..

I really don't know what all the noise is about the 18. For the guys trying to convince GT350 owners/buyers that it's a waste of money.... Are you actually trying to convince yourself that the GT is a "good enough value" for the money?(because it is). The 17 was already a great performance value - probably the best in the market. Being a performance value makes it the best car to some but not to others. Yeah, the 350 is more expensive for incrementally more performance. It sounds like people are getting in pissing matches because they don't see the "value" in the 350...just because it costs 25% more, did people really expect every aspect of its performance to be 25% better? In some cases, yes, in others, no.

How about you go over and talk to the GT3RS guys and rib them about how their cars aren't 400% faster than a Mustang GT??? It doesn't come down to dollar per performance metric, it's all about the total package and subjective differences that make a particular car desirable to some and no-so-much to others.

So act like enthusiasts, pick your car and enjoy it. Trying to convince others that their purchase decision was wrong or fluffing up your eventual purchase decision over the internet screams of insecurity and strife.

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
It's cheaper because Ford doesn't have to take into account all the warranty claims the GT350 has had with limp mode, oil leaks, oil consumption etc since they pretty much used the GT350 as a guinea pig. Also the fact the GT350 trickled down to the regular GT just like the Corvette does to the Camaro. Don't be surprised if the A10 GTPP runs a 12 flat 1/4 Mile and the M6 a 12.5ish plus pull over 1 G on the skid pad. For $40k $45k I'll take it, only snobs and elitist won't see the value in that.
WOW!!! Such an incoherent and incorrect and unsubstantiated comment! LOL SMH
Please make sure to inform us when the stock GT with the A10 and the Performance Package, which is required for the quickest version, outperforms a GT350 and R. "Don't be surprised if" the GT350 maintains superiority. I find it hilarious that some are so quick to call other elitist just because they own the halo car. Most members here have owned a variety of cars to include the Mustang GT's of various years. Just look at my signature and you will see. No one here is disputing the new GT and it's capabilities. What I believe many, to include my self, are saying that for the money of a well equipped GT you are better off buying a 350. ESPECIALLY if you value the DRIVE more so than performance figures. Lets face it!!!! Bench racing is boring. I let my hands, feet and car do the talking on the track. The better prepped track car? You guessed it!!!! GT350, right out the box.

Last edited:

Sponsored

MrCincinnati

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
An oil change is $160 at my dealership lol. They give me a little "discount" though when I go in. Even the service managers are like "$160 for an oil change?! Ah...no. We'll take care of you."
Holy crap why are they charging +$60 in labor on an oil change?! They'd better have their lead tech on the thing at those rates.

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
It's cheaper because Ford doesn't have to take into account all the warranty claims the GT350 has had with limp mode, oil leaks, oil consumption etc since they pretty much used the GT350 as a guinea pig. Also the fact the GT350 trickled down to the regular GT just like the Corvette does to the Camaro. Don't be surprised if the A10 GTPP runs a 12 flat 1/4 Mile and the M6 a 12.5ish plus pull over 1 G on the skid pad. For $40k $45k I'll take it, only snobs and elitist won't see the value in that.
Sounds like you belong in a Camaro... :lol:

I would say 95% of owners don't care about the 1/4 mile stats. Not important in the slightest to me. As stanglife mentioned, you think that Cayman owners think that "hey I bought the wrong car cause that GT is faster for 1/2 the price!"? The driving experience MATTERS.

I optioned a 5.0 earlier to how I would want it, and after adding the Recaro's it was over $51K US... that is within 5-6K of a GT350. For that price, unless you Have to Have the automatic, picking the 5.0 over the GT350 makes very little sense. This a generalization, but if you can afford $51K chances are you can afford $56-57K, and when they are as close in price as that, the engine alone makes that difference worth it, let alone all of the other features that make the 350 superior.

The 5.0 is a GREAT car, but all you're trying to do is take credit away from how much greater the GT350 is as a total package. If you are perfectly happy with your 5.0, that is all that matters!

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Holy crap why are they charging +$60 in labor on an oil change?! They'd better have their lead tech on the thing at those rates.
Actually that's correct. They only allow their Master Certified Tech or guys who have their Mustang Advanced cert or whatever the second level cert is to work on my car and they introduce me to the tech every time. Granted it's only been twice but still.

Last edited:

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Actually no kidding.

You can get a 1LE for low 40's right now if performance per dollar is your only real priority. And if that's the only priority period, you really belong in an AP2 S2000. :cheers:

BlkGT3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
13 GT86 Autox, 16 GT350 TP, 06 Civic Si TTD car

I would say 95% of owners don't care about the 1/4 mile stats. Not important in the slightest to me. As stanglife mentioned, you think that Cayman owners think that "hey I bought the wrong car cause that GT is faster for 1/2 the price!"? The driving experience MATTERS.

I optioned a 5.0 earlier to how I would want it, and after adding the Recaro's it was over $51K US... that is within 5-6K of a GT350. For that price, unless you Have to Have the automatic, picking the 5.0 over the GT350 makes very little sense. This a generalization, but if you can afford $51K chances are you can afford $56-57K, and when they are as close in price as that, the engine alone makes that difference worth it, let alone all of the other features that make the 350 superior.

The 5.0 is a GREAT car, but all you're trying to do is take credit away from how much greater the GT350 is as a total package. If you are perfectly happy with your 5.0, that is all that matters!
IMHO Ford made a BIG mistake in pricing the new GT. The old one was priced right in comparison with the Camaro. The $51k price would have me running for a GT350, SS 1LE, C7 Z51, or Corvette Grand Sport. I track my cars and they also see significant street miles. The ability to change Brake Fluid, add Camber, racing brake pads and reliability hit the track is my #1 priority nowadays.

Peter

Sponsored

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
lol wut.

Will the 18GTPP be a good value? Yes...but less so than than a lightly used 2015 for 25k.

And choosing the GT350 over either does not at all make you a snob or elitist, it just means that magazine numbers and dollar/hp is not the only thing some people factor into buying a car.

I had a 2012 GT and had zero desire to move up to a 2015 even though the IRS and styling was much improved, at that price point I could not justify the upgrade for the money as the difference between the two was not substantial enough to outlay the cash.

But when the GT350 orders opened I had to have it, even if it means a much larger outlay of cash and that decision had absolutely nothing to do with being a snob or an elitist.

There is a chip on your shoulder that you might want to get checked out.

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
IMHO Ford made a BIG mistake in pricing the new GT. The old one was priced right in comparison with the Camaro. The $51k price would have me running for a GT350, SS 1LE, C7 Z51, or Corvette Grand Sport. I track my cars and they also see significant street miles. The ability to change Brake Fluid, add Camber, racing brake pads and reliability hit the track is my #1 priority nowadays.

Peter
I agree. The mustang GT has always been a big bang for the buck pony car. I bought my 2012 for 26k (stripper GT with brembo package), when I see new ones going for 45k+ I shake my head a bit even though they do offer a lot more now than ever before.

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)

Peter
Can't help but agree. The 5.0 is actually now more expensive than the SS... It does have some nice new features, but is no longer the bargain it was at all. Also agree with the other list of cars you mentioned.

I also think in some ways the 5.0 is still inferior to the SS, particularly when it comes to the manual transmission offering (TR6060 vs MT82...), as well interior materials/quality. Other than the odd ergonomic layout of the Camaro, particularly the odd vent placement, it is a far better interior than can be had in any Mustang.

And at over 50K, I'm looking at GT350 or Corvette 100%. A 5.0 or SS wouldn't even register in my mind at those prices... hell I bet you can option a 5.0 to over $60K here in Canada once the configurator is up and running :crazy::shrug:

v-man

Still Plays With Cars
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt 350 LB Black stripe
v -man went to go see and hear a gt 350 in person. had check book with me. Could not get them off msrp. It is avalanche gray with black stripes. on the way back home my local dealer called and said he has a lighting blue coming in with black strip with white accent 4 weeks. They avalanche gray car would not let me drive it although I can drive anything at a Porsche or Mercedes dealer. With that said we fired that bad boy up and was I impressed only revving the engine to 4500 rpm wow it set off their smoke detectors! I have read what everyone said and I believe the gt350 upon its components the uniqueness of the engine it is a good choice for me to get some American muscle in my garage not it comes down to color

HaleFire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
v -man went to go see and hear a gt 350 in person. had check book with me. Could not get them off msrp. It is avalanche gray with black stripes. on the way back home my local dealer called and said he has a lighting blue coming in with black strip with white accent 4 weeks. They avalanche gray car would not let me drive it although I can drive anything at a Porsche or Mercedes dealer. With that said we fired that bad boy up and was I impressed only revving the engine to 4500 rpm wow it set off their smoke detectors! I have read what everyone said and I believe the gt350 upon its components the uniqueness of the engine it is a good choice for me to get some American muscle in my garage not it comes down to color
Great news! Looks like you have a long night ahead of you looking at GT350 pictures to determine your color....:thumbsup:
Sponsored