Sponsored

Temporary Driveway Fix - Ideas Welcome!

raptor17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Manual 2017
Excited to to share an update here!

I quickly determined the canvas sun shade was a no go, it's an engineering challenge just to get enough tension on something that large, let alone it not being properly waterproof! I did add more of a frame underneath it as a last ditch attempt, but that was never going to do.

Budget was always an issue, so it was a question of what's the best I can build for a minimum budget (around £500). Anyway, a few long lengths of timber later, and ~£300 worth of clear corrugated roofing...

WhatsApp Image 2023-11-15 at 13.26.59.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2023-11-15 at 13.26.58.jpeg

Size wise, it's more than adequate. 5.6m in length and 4.4m wide! It's a wash bay as well as storage to keep the worst of the weather off. Still some finishing touched to go - need to add some vertical supports and braces just to be safe, and then a good tidy up. But importantly, it's ready for winter :)
thats a good size, cant argue about the price either
Sponsored

TimG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT manual
Excited to to share an update here!

I quickly determined the canvas sun shade was a no go, it's an engineering challenge just to get enough tension on something that large, let alone it not being properly waterproof! I did add more of a frame underneath it as a last ditch attempt, but that was never going to do.

Budget was always an issue, so it was a question of what's the best I can build for a minimum budget (around £500). Anyway, a few long lengths of timber later, and ~£300 worth of clear corrugated roofing...

WhatsApp Image 2023-11-15 at 13.26.59.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2023-11-15 at 13.26.58.jpeg

Size wise, it's more than adequate. 5.6m in length and 4.4m wide! It's a wash bay as well as storage to keep the worst of the weather off. Still some finishing touched to go - need to add some vertical supports and braces just to be safe, and then a good tidy up. But importantly, it's ready for winter :)
I hope its well tied down, its quite a sail if the wind get under it. Ganted its still open at the back

Brisvegas

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
Dark Matter Grey '23 GT Mustang , 1976 SS Torana
I hope its well tied down, its quite a sail if the wind get under it. Ganted its still open at the back
Decent point here , hope you got a few bolts through some of that frame work there . Definitely wouldn't be relying on nails and light gauge screws . Around 22sqm of ' sail ' there can exert some big loads .

You are also asking a lot of that gutter given you have easily doubled ( minimum ) the amount of water it will have to deal with .

Last edited:
OP
OP
Kristian87

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Decent point here , hope you got a few bolts through some of that frame work there . Definitely wouldn't be relying on nails and light gauge screws . Around 22sqm of ' sail ' there can exert some big loads .
It's a good point re the wind - a family member made the same comment over the weekend. For starters, I'll be filling the gap on top of the shed, that will help some.

It's definitely sturdy, heave duty screws throughout but no bolts. There's ~200 screws alone holding the corrugated sheeting down. More or less every other peak.

I was torn with the gutter - leave a gap so water falls just shy of it, or have 2 x roofs going in to it...you can't see it from the photo, but there's a big space behind the garage (wood storage), there's a water butt there, and the old owner has about 8 scattered throughout the garden. Planning to add a second water butt and potentially use the rainwater for washing - will be better than our super hard tap water!

OP
OP
Kristian87

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Adding braces. My lack of power tools is disturbing, but I'm making it work :)

WhatsApp Image 2023-11-28 at 14.20.37.jpeg
Sponsored