Sponsored

Tech Pack Performance Question on Longer Tracks

Sprintamx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
Keeping a long story short, I'm considering running my Tech Pack on a relatively open track: Watkins Glen. When I ran the car on a shorter tight course, I got into limp mode at 13, 10 and 7 minutes.

Can anyone who's run their car on on a similar open track share their experience with encountering--or avoiding--an overheat situation.

My hope is that if I can can keep the car in 4th and 5th gears (doubt I'll use 6th), and sacrificing ultimate lap times, I can preserve my time on track. There are certain sections where 4th will be too high a gear (climbing out of the boot, for example), but since this is my favorite track, I absolutely do not want to get there and only have 7-10 minutes before I have to retire. I won't get 45 minutes, but I could come away satisfied with 20-25 minutes per session.

Thanks.
Sponsored

xt6wagon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 base triple yellow
3rd is good to 110 so.... 5th is good for 180.

Definitely keeping your avg rpm down will help.

arsenalrocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
mosport when into limp at 15 to 18 mins. next day it was very cold and extremely windy, no limp.

you can try to cool the tranny yourself in between sessions, you know, like run a genetor and use a leaf blower to cool it yourself.

personally i would not risk it anymore, going limp on the back straight for a pass and the car behind me had no idea i went into limp while the car allowing me to pass besides me had no idea why i don't pass, it can be risky and dangerous.

OP
OP

Sprintamx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
mosport when into limp at 15 to 18 mins. next day it was very cold and extremely windy, no limp.

you can try to cool the tranny yourself in between sessions, you know, like run a genetor and use a leaf blower to cool it yourself.

personally i would not risk it anymore, going limp on the back straight for a pass and the car behind me had no idea i went into limp while the car allowing me to pass besides me had no idea why i don't pass, it can be risky and dangerous.
Mosport definitely has lots of open, fast areas; a bit more than WGI I think.

Thanks for the report.

crazyfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT350 & '14 GT Track Car
Lookup the Autobahn country club in Joliet, IL. I ran the full 3.5 mile track 2 weeks ago and ran 2 full 35 minute sessions with NO limp mode kicking in. I ran the track in 3rd and 4th gear only and pushed it good. Ran in the twistys in 3rd running 6-8k rpm and then on straights put it in 4th and got it to about 120-125 mph. Fastest lap at 2:99. Stuck on led car in Porsche turbo like glue. In turns I could pass him but didn't. Track rules and on straights he could pull me by about 2/cars but I catch him in turns. I have been lucky so far.
I also went out Sunday and literally ran the car hard for 1.5 hours in 90+ degree heat. Up to 120 back to 50. Downshift, upshift, brake. Literally like a race track and no limp mode. Just don't know on these cars but so far I have been happily surprised. Good luck

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Keeping a long story short, I'm considering running my Tech Pack on a relatively open track: Watkins Glen. When I ran the car on a shorter tight course, I got into limp mode at 13, 10 and 7 minutes.

Can anyone who's run their car on on a similar open track share their experience with encountering--or avoiding--an overheat situation.

My hope is that if I can can keep the car in 4th and 5th gears (doubt I'll use 6th), and sacrificing ultimate lap times, I can preserve my time on track. There are certain sections where 4th will be too high a gear (climbing out of the boot, for example), but since this is my favorite track, I absolutely do not want to get there and only have 7-10 minutes before I have to retire. I won't get 45 minutes, but I could come away satisfied with 20-25 minutes per session.

Thanks.
If you got into limp on a shorter track, I would think it will happen faster on a long track. But the only way to know is to try and find out. I was frustrated with encountering limp mode on a relatively shorter track, but you can see that some people have had different results. I assume it has to do with how hard the car is being driven as well as rpms. I know keeping rpms down slowed the onset of limp mode just slightly for me.

gearhead999s

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Duncan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Range Rover Velar,2019 BMW M2C,BMW R1200 GS
Mosport definitely has lots of open, fast areas; a bit more than WGI I think.

Thanks for the report.
I got a Tech Pack into limp mode after 3 laps at Mosport.The car needs coolers if you are at all serious about tracking and are reasonably fast.

OP
OP

Sprintamx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
The longer part of the story is that I lost the motor in my race/track car; it was time I suppose.

So, in the mad scramble to see if I can salvage a great opportunity at WGI, I'm thinking of bringing the Shelby into action. I want to wait for the FP "approved" solution, but time and circumstances are not on my side. So, I've decided to install a cooler solution following the design layout setup by another forum member (SVTDMS). If I'm luck, all the parts will be in hand by the end of the week and I can spend the July 4th weekend wrenching and trying not to damage my bumper cover and other body panels.

arsenalrocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
good luck and please document the process with pics and lots of pics.

it will be helpful for other tech/base owners like me in the future.

The longer part of the story is that I lost the motor in my race/track car; it was time I suppose.

So, in the mad scramble to see if I can salvage a great opportunity at WGI, I'm thinking of bringing the Shelby into action. I want to wait for the FP "approved" solution, but time and circumstances are not on my side. So, I've decided to install a cooler solution following the design layout setup by another forum member (SVTDMS). If I'm luck, all the parts will be in hand by the end of the week and I can spend the July 4th weekend wrenching and trying not to damage my bumper cover and other body panels.

OP
OP

Sprintamx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
I'm most concerned with the panel and bumper cover removal / reinstall. Everything else is relatively straightforward.

I hope I didn't just jinx myself . . .
Sponsored