Talk me into a centrifugal

BoostedYusar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Yusar
Vehicle(s)
2018 5.0
Well, I went and did it, ordered the G3X kit with a G4 intercooler...having had cars with Turbo and PD in the past, I figured it's about time to try a Centi since I already knew what I didn't like about the others ...
you will love it!
I have had 3 blowers so far through ESS. Each kit made amazing power, keep in mind I do have a triple pump setup through fore. G2 made 890 wheel, G3 made 970 wheel, and g3x made 1090 wheel. Current setup is on a G3x With a 90mm pulley and a stage 3 Mt82. ESS has been so consistent for me that My new setup Iā€™m working on with the sleeved motor will include the new G4R-95 blower. These kits are so lightweight that the price you pay for them is truly worth it for the power gained and weight saved.
Sponsored

SBR70.3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT Premium, 23 Explorer ST, 19 GTI (DD)
Car is 40% street, 50% autocross, and 10% track.

So I'm considering the ESS or P1X.

While it sounds like a bad idea for a track car. I'm willing to duct and upgrade the radiator to help with heat and I think its probably ok to get just a couple hot laps before cooldown laps in between. I like to get on track a few times a year, but I don't need to run 30 minute sessions or anything to enjoy myself.
If you find a solution to this, please let me know! I have a P1x and the big ass intercooler certainly blocks airflow to the radiator. I added a CSF radiator and I did some ducting last night. I do have some Race Louvers waiting to be installed. Hopefully that lets me get more than 2 laps out of a mid afternoon session.

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 2020 Explorer Limited
Great thread everyone. I thought I would chime in with my experience with SC on a gen 3 coyote. I put a procharger on my '18 3.55 geared 10r80. I initially used the very low boost setup (6psi) and installed myself using Procharger's tune. The car made 525rwhp and the tune was so good and literally drove better than stock. Power came on very smoothly. I think the torque number was around 450? Anyway, as usual, the need for power is addictive and so I did the pulley, injectors and tune with PBD. Made unreal power (never dyno'd it) and found I hated it as the car literally made so much power with that gearing and the shifting was so-so. I ended removing the P.C. and sold the car.
I installed a Whipple, with their tune on my first '19 Bullitt. The car made just shy of 700 rwhp on their 91 tune on the same dyno. I took the car to the strip and the long gearing and instant torque caused the clutch to slip after a few runs with shifting at 100+ mph into 3rd. Ridicuous. It did pull the wheels off the ground. No fun. Sold the car a few months later.
Then last summer I had a business acquaintance that owned a GT40 I was checking out and his brother had a '19 Bullitt with a centri. Think it was a procharger. THAT is the blower for these long geared cars in my opinion. Great smooth acceleration like being in a plane leaving the ground. And, you can always pulley it up if you want more. But long gearing and PD blowers do not go together. Yes, You can hit the gas at 60 and smoke those tires. But really, kind of unusable and then there is the add'l weight and possible heat soak (though I never experienced it with the Whipple, which I believe is the best PD for the Coyote).
Just my .02. I am ordering the ESS for my new to me Bullitt this week.

HKusp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
So, that last post is a bit schizophrenic to me.

Sponsored

Beaujangles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
As I said in a previous post, having had PD and turbo cars before, most notably a CTS V and a volvo V70R, I knew what i didn't like about both so I decided to go Centi with the goal in mind of "driveability" on the street as I wanted to build a very capable yet civilized road car that would be fun to drive in a spirited fashion without any drama...will find out as soon as I can get it scheduled into my local speed shop...OBTW the chassis is already set up to handle the additional power...I hope.

SpeedLu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Premium PP1 Mustang GT, 2017 F-150 Platinum FX4

jpjr501

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT - Procharged
Best part of a Centri blower is they don't make a ton of torque down low which gives traction a chance. Roll racing with a Centri, 10R80 where its shifting and keeping the rpm in the powerband the entire time is so fun.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Best part of a Centri blower is they don't make a ton of torque down low which gives traction a chance.
Best part of a PD blower is driving with your right foot.

Sponsored

jpjr501

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT - Procharged
You can always shape the PD torque curve however you want it to look using tuning.
No need with a Centri, that's the beauty. It's basically designed to do this out of the box. If torque is your thing, get a Whipple or Roush blower. That's what they are good for out of the box. It's the reason why we have choices. I'm not running from a dig and with a 10R80 a Centri is exactly what I wanted. If I was 1/4 mile racing my car, I would have bought a Whipple for sure.

furdfan2018

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Have any of these centri companies figured out how to quiet down the bypass valve in all conditions other than WOT? In 2024 there has to be a solution id imagine.

The BOV noise and belt slip were my 2 biggest complaints about the centri I had on my 2014 Mustang. Hated it.

Brevin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brevin
Vehicle(s)
22 Mustang GT
Have any of these centri companies figured out how to quiet down the bypass valve in all conditions other than WOT? In 2024 there has to be a solution id imagine.

The BOV noise and belt slip were my 2 biggest complaints about the centri I had on my 2014 Mustang. Hated it.
Yes, Tial recirculating bypass valve. Bolts directly onto the ESS intercooler and re-circulates the bypass into the intake. Synchro gears and that bypass valve makes the entire system almost silent. If thatā€™s what youā€™re going for..

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
No need with a Centri, that's the beauty. It's basically designed to do this out of the box. If torque is your thing, get a Whipple or Roush blower. That's what they are good for out of the box. It's the reason why we have choices. I'm not running from a dig and with a 10R80 a Centri is exactly what I wanted. If I was 1/4 mile racing my car, I would have bought a Whipple for sure.
The cool thing about a PD is that it can do either one. In fact, you can very easily make it have a centrif torque curve in Drive and a full PD torque curve in Sport or vice versa. You could limit torque by gear or even torque by speed. It can do whatever you want with a few key strokes and you aren't limited by what the blower can or can't do.
Sponsored