Sponsored

Sync3 - spent 15 minutes with it

ilkhan

435 ilkhan approved HP.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
[Gone 2016 400A] > 2017 F150
Went to my local dealer at lunch today, they had a 2016 escape with the sync3 system. I played with it for about 15 minutes. Not going to comment on audio quality as its different between vehicles. Connected easily to my phone via BT. Was able to control it easily enough. I didn't let it download address book or the like, as its not my car.

The UI felt good. Very little lag, very responsive. Not always clear where you could scroll, but that's not a big deal. "Maybe theres more to this list of options? No. Oh well."

The bottom row of icons was good. Easy to navigate, big touch targets. Picking notification/ringtones was simple, though very limited choices on text message tones.

Phone and audio controls are what you'd expect. I didn't notice any glaring exclusions. Climate control was locked out with the vehicle turned off, but the UI looked simple and intuitive.

Turned off the stereo with music playing via bluetooth, when I turned it back on music started playing again. So that's good.

Overall, I liked it. Sync3 is an improvement.

Any specific questions I can answer? Its nearby so if there are I can go back on Thursday.
Sponsored

smdandb2

ManBearPig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Toyota Corolla SE
Can you change the theme?

I think that has been the biggest concern so far... all that white.

Steve68

Mr. Robot
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt, 2018 Jeep JLUR, 2020 F-150
The current Sync system is smart enough to know when a thumb drive needs to be re-indexed, i.e. not every time you start the car, unlike the garbage they put in subarus and you have to wait many minutes to start playing music. I hope they didn't break it with Sync 3.

e30og

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Genesis G70 3.3T Sport
how are the maps?!

not that it matters for me but curious to know if the swipe and zoom features are smartphone smooth or still lagtastic

madweazl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Can you launch Pandora on the display or via voice command vice the BS I'm stuck with on MFT right now? My '12s system was so much better in this regard.

Sponsored

ry1980

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT 350 convenience pk, shadow black
In case you are wondering, according to this youtube clip, you can change the background. See comments below the video on youtube site:
[ame]

spicyypenguin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
Has there been any word on a retrofit option from dealers on our 2015 S550's?

I don't think Ford has an official retrofit program, but it doesn't seem too difficult to put the 2016 head unit in place of MFT since all of the harness and steering wheel buttons are essentially the same.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I care about infotainment
yes yes good good

Boff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP 401a Race Red
Tell us about browsing a music library stored on USB. That's hell on MFT, but something that could be improved with swipes as such.

StangMan04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
In case you are wondering, according to this youtube clip, you can change the background. See comments below the video on youtube site:
Didn't show anything on the APPS tab, guess nothing there yet.

Sponsored

Rufus5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Gt/PP vert
sub'd

The Great Gazoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Silver GT/Auto
Has there been any word on a retrofit option from dealers on our 2015 S550's?

I don't think Ford has an official retrofit program, but it doesn't seem too difficult to put the 2016 head unit in place of MFT since all of the harness and steering wheel buttons are essentially the same.
Knowing Ford....they will probably somehow engineer the Sync3 into Canbus where the plug will be different at the back of the unit, wiring completely different, the interaction with the steering wheel switches different, the interaction with HVAC different, the interaction with the NAV antenna, microphone, etc. I don't hold much hope that Sync 3 can be retrofitted into an MFT.... as you can tell.

smdandb2

ManBearPig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Toyota Corolla SE

likeaboss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Corvette Z51

Rufus5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Gt/PP vert
I went to my dealer today to check on my order.(nothing yet) I tried sync3 on an Escape. It's much better more responsive than previous generations. I thought you might be able to change the background or theme but no dice. My sales guy and me searched in all the menus and there weren't any options.
Sponsored