Sponsored

suspension upgrades

ivanuke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 F-150 Ecoboost, 2016 Mag Trk GT350 On order
For an all at race car build, could i replace the magneride shocks with a more heavy duty track only suspension set up and not have problems with the different modes on the car? Like changing the steering feel or exhaust, TC, and other things.

I only ask because I remember someone disconnecting their exhaust and they had issues with the drive modes on the vehicle, i hope its not the same issue if you remove the shocks.
Sponsored

Rated R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco FE
It would be a waste to order magneride shocks if you're going that way.

OP
OP

ivanuke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It would be a waste to order magneride shocks if you're going that way.
It was the only way to get all the coolers and the spoiler unfortunately

mattlqx

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mach 1, '16 F-150, '14 Fiesta ST, '14 Audi A7
It was the only way to get all the coolers and the spoiler unfortunately
But adding all of those would've cost less than $6500 though I bet.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
But adding all of those would've cost less than $6500 though I bet.
I mulled through this before I made my order. I did the math and it was about $1500. Then coilovers, another $3000 or so. However, you'd have to get pumps, the actual coolers themselves, cut into the diff and trans and all that. Messy...at least for me. I don't have a very good work area for that advanced of jobs. I was also convinced that for me, the MagneRide system would offer plenty of suspension performance without going to coilovers. And if anyone here says that coilovers on this car will give that THAT much more time off their lap times, show me the videos. We're mostly average joe drivers here. I love my racing season but I am FAR from a P Class autocrosser.

Sponsored

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
What faults have you found with the stock suspension? What class will you be racing in?

OP
OP

ivanuke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What faults have you found with the stock suspension? What class will you be racing in?
No faults with the stock set up, I can feel the body roll of the car though when going around the track. I don't want to get rid of my shocks completely, I would just prefer to have a dedicated set up for track. I don't know a whole lot about car suspension tuning, I was just curious if other options were possible

xt6wagon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 base triple yellow
I mulled through this before I made my order. I did the math and it was about $1500. Then coilovers, another $3000 or so. However, you'd have to get pumps, the actual coolers themselves, cut into the diff and trans and all that. Messy...at least for me. I don't have a very good work area for that advanced of jobs. I was also convinced that for me, the MagneRide system would offer plenty of suspension performance without going to coilovers. And if anyone here says that coilovers on this car will give that THAT much more time off their lap times, show me the videos. We're mostly average joe drivers here. I love my racing season but I am FAR from a P Class autocrosser.
Ford will be selling the exact same rear diff cooler in a kit. Not sure about the transmission cooler, but I hope so. I've seen one thing that said the transmission would have different casting for the transmission case to allow for the cooler, but that seems... unlikely as it would be cheaper to produce the case and simply machine the required ports for the cooler.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
No faults with the stock set up, I can feel the body roll of the car though when going around the track. I don't want to get rid of my shocks completely, I would just prefer to have a dedicated set up for track. I don't know a whole lot about car suspension tuning, I was just curious if other options were possible
Huh, one of the supposed benefits of Magneride is slowing/controlling body roll. The magazine guys that drove the car said that they couldn't detect body roll. If the current body roll is too much for you I think you are in for a challenge to try to reduce it.

I bet if you put a different shock on your car the body will roll a lot more. Then you will have to re-engineer the springs and sway bars as well. Since the Magneride is partially serving to control body motion you will probably need everything to be a lot stiffer to provide equivalent body control. It will really suck driving the car with suspension being that stiff.

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Carroll Shelbys Soul Lives Under My GT350 Hood
Ford will be selling the exact same rear diff cooler in a kit. Not sure about the transmission cooler, but I hope so. I've seen one thing that said the transmission would have different casting for the transmission case to allow for the cooler, but that seems... unlikely as it would be cheaper to produce the case and simply machine the required ports for the cooler.
I doubt the transmission case is different, I'd bet the ports are plugged off. I have a track pack, if a tech or base owner could post pics that would be nice. But I doubt the casting is different. Maybe I'm wrong.

Sponsored

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
I've seen one thing that said the transmission would have different casting for the transmission case to allow for the cooler, but that seems... unlikely as it would be cheaper to produce the case and simply machine the required ports for the cooler.

The transmission case/bellhousing is indeed different for the Track Pack/R models. The cooling pump is integrated into the case and driven off the input shaft. The standard model has this section blocked off.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I've seen one thing that said the transmission would have different casting for the transmission case to allow for the cooler, but that seems... unlikely as it would be cheaper to produce the case and simply machine the required ports for the cooler.

The transmission cooler is highly integrated into the transmission and for R and Track Pack cars, the transmission case is indeed different. The pump is integrated into the actual housing.

Wblv17

older fart
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2014 5.7HEMI Ram and 2015 eco boost race red pp
body in white and a crate 5.2 instead?

icormba

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Jeep SRT8 / GT350R / FocusRS
Huh, one of the supposed benefits of Magneride is slowing/controlling body roll. The magazine guys that drove the car said that they couldn't detect body roll. If the current body roll is too much for you I think you are in for a challenge to try to reduce it.

I bet if you put a different shock on your car the body will roll a lot more. Then you will have to re-engineer the springs and sway bars as well. Since the Magneride is partially serving to control body motion you will probably need everything to be a lot stiffer to provide equivalent body control. It will really suck driving the car with suspension being that stiff.
I've felt slight body roll as well, but once I put it on Sport mode... it's gone. Then again I have not taken the car to the track yet.

Our current modes are: Normal, Sport, Comfort and in that order on my screen. I have not used Comfort mode and I'm not even sure why it's there? Normal mode for street is perfect.

It should be: Normal, Sport, Track

:ford::thumbsup: ;)
Sponsored