Supplement Tire Temp Statement

Larrybob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Base With TP
The supplement states on P42 left column they do not recommend using the OEM tires when temps drop to 45F or below.

They are kidding aren't they? What could the problem possibly be?
Am I misinterpreting the statement?
Sponsored

bdub85

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bobby
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Package Shadow Black
The supplement states on P42 left column they do not recommend using the OEM tires when temps drop to 45F or below.

They are high performance summer tires. You can drive them in the cold. They just won't be getting traction if you're getting on it.

CSL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350
The super sports are a high performance tire with a relatively soft compound. Because of this, traction substantially deteriorates at lower temps. The compund is hard and slick at low temps. Ok to use them, but recognize the loss of grip definitely exists and go easy. And don't drive them in ice or snow with any kind of regularity.

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Nothing new, even my 2012 brembo package car has it. Those crappy pirrelis turned to stone south of 50

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP

Tires need to wrap around the texture of the road for a lot of their grip. The compound of summer tires is so hard in cold temperatures that it can't do that. Stopping distances will be greatly increased, cornering and accelerating can also more easily exceed the grip levels.

I had arranged to buy a 2011 in December of 2010 out of state in New Mexico and canceled the deal when temperatures dropped to well below norms and below what I would drive it home with summer tires.

Sponsored

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Tires need to wrap around the texture of the road for a lot of their grip. The compound of summer tires is so hard in cold temperatures that it can't do that. Stopping distances will be greatly increased, cornering and accelerating can also more easily exceed the grip levels.

I had arranged to buy a 2011 in December of 2010 out of state in New Mexico and canceled the deal when temperatures dropped to well below norms and below what I would drive it home with summer tires.
Does anyone know of any references that indicate how much braking distances are increased as temps drop? Thanks.

Shelbyman66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GMC Sierra (6.2l), some 66 Shelbys, 16 GT350
I drove mine last Sunday for the first time. The air temperature was about 42 and I did 1.06G when I barely applied the brakes. The sun was out so I'd say that the road temperature was probably greater than that of the air temperature. I was under the impression that the car shouldn't even be moved in temperatures less than 40 degrees because the tires can split and separate??

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
I drove mine last Sunday for the first time. The air temperature was about 42 and I did 1.06G when I barely applied the brakes. The sun was out so I'd say that the road temperature was probably greater than that of the air temperature. I was under the impression that the car shouldn't even be moved in temperatures less than 40 degrees because the tires can split and separate??
I run summer and winters on all cars, which is common in Europe. Here the rule of thumb is "Easter to October" for summers. The weather is often below 45°, with little effect on stopping unless, of course, it's snowy or icy. Not sure, however, of the stopping effect with the GT350's tires, but am confident they won't split and separate.