Sponsored

Summer Tire Degradation

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
Hi All,
I'm looking for some advice with my Michelin PS4S tires that came on my 2021 Mach 1.
They have about 13-14k miles on them with about 6/32" tread left on them. They are the original tire and this will be their 4th summer. I've had 2 light beginner track nights on them as well where they got pretty gooey.
Last season I noticed that they do not hook anymore, from a dig I will spin through 3 gears and I can swing out the back very easily when taking a corner.
My 3 year old, 10k mile all-season Continental DWS sport tires that I use 7 months of the year are wayyy better in every aspect of grip.
So my question is, are these tires more than likely cooked even though they have plenty of tread left?
If I get new ones will 1 or 2 track nights a year ruin my new tires on the street as well?
I called Tire Rack and Michelin, Tire Rack said heat cycles make the compound harder and Michelin said it has no affect.
Side note, when I went to the track late last summer, the tire seemed to grip fine. It's on the street that they suck.

1.jpg

The PS4S is better than the PSS in this respect but after 4 seasons you need to cycle them out. I switched out my 305/35/19 Mich PSS and they had 5/32nds left and I had absolutely no traction in 1st gear if temps dropped below 65 deg. F. I replaced them and I was able to hook. I wasn't blown but I did h ave 4.09 gears and being able to hook was a delicate act of throttle input.
Sponsored

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
For Winters I run 275/40R19 square Conti DWS on 9.5" wide RTR Tech 7 wheels and it looks great.

The stock non-HP Mach 1 wheels which I'm using for summer are 9.5" wide front and 10" rear so I am stuck with staggered.
Mach 1 came with same tires as PP GT 255/40R19 / 275/40R19 (diameter - 27" front, 27.7" rear)

275/35r19 is 26.6" diameter and 295/35R19 is 27.1" diameter

Someone else on here had a pic with 285/35R19 squared and the gap was noticeably larger so it's got me a little worried. maybe like Mags said the width will make up for it.
If you are trying to save money by staying with your staggered wheels you can even consider getting 4 identical tires. That will double the warranty, and the extra 1/4" bulge on the fronts may not be any more noticeable than the slight gap difference. In fact, the wheel gap would be the same.

You might even be able to rotate the tires (to guarantee the full 30k warranty), but that is also problematic because then you get into the situation of longer front studs, open-ended lugs, and the potential for the front wheels poking when mounted at the back.

There is so much going on with wheel and tire sizes and fitments. Add in your OCD and it makes your head spin.

OP
OP
ChitownStang

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
If you are trying to save money by staying with your staggered wheels you can even consider getting 4 identical tires. That will double the warranty, and the extra 1/4" bulge on the fronts may not be any more noticeable than the slight gap difference. In fact, the wheel gap would be the same.

You might even be able to rotate the tires (to guarantee the full 30k warranty), but that is also problematic because then you get into the situation of longer front studs, open-ended lugs, and the potential for the front wheels poking when mounted at the back.

There is so much going on with wheel and tire sizes and fitments. Add in your OCD and it makes your head spin.
Dude, you are so right.. so many factors in this little decision makes my OCD head explode! šŸ˜‚
Wider/lower profile tires provide more grip and also lower the car 2to3/10ā€
Also Iā€™ll need to buy the rear fender guards from the hP Mach. (Not complaining)
Seems like overall aggressiveness of the stance will increase too.

Stock setup, fills finders better, keeps splitter above curbs, lighter weight, couple hundo less.

Decisions decisions.. šŸ˜

As far as rotating wider wheels with same tire to the front, that Iā€™ve never heard of

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
As far as rotating wider wheels with same tire to the front, that Iā€™ve never heard of
That will be tough to do depending on the offsets.

Reactions: GTP
OP
OP
ChitownStang

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
285/35 will get you back basically to the stock front size, so you could do 285 front and 295 rear. Iā€™m guessing that photos probably accentuate the gap more than you actually see in person. Iā€™ve seen a few cars with 285/35/19 in stock suspension and the gap wasnā€™t anything that jumped out at me FWIW. But we all see things differently from a visual perspective
Do you think I'll need the super expensive Front Mach 1 fender guards for the 285's or maybe just the rears for the 295's ?

Sponsored

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Do you think I'll need the super expensive Front Mach 1 fender guards for the 285's or maybe just the rears for the 295's ?
I ended up buying Rockblokz because the Contiā€™s were kicking up all kinds of pebbles and stuff. If you plan to run a summer tire, I would get something be it Rockblokz or the OEM guards

OP
OP
ChitownStang

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
I ended up buying Rockblokz because the Contiā€™s were kicking up all kinds of pebbles and stuff. If you plan to run a summer tire, I would get something be it Rockblokz or the OEM guards
for the front too?

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
for the front too?
Yep I have front and rear. The front could go either way. I got them more for the winter to keep the amount of road salt getting kicked up to a minimum. Seems to work. I can snap some pics for you tomorrow so you can see how the tires sit relative to the fenders. I might have some in my photos too, will check and will post them if I find them

OP
OP
ChitownStang

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
Yep I have front and rear. The front could go either way. I got them more for the winter to keep the amount of road salt getting kicked up to a minimum. Seems to work. I can snap some pics for you tomorrow so you can see how the tires sit relative to the fenders. I might have some in my photos too, will check and will post them if I find them
Cool, i
Yeah, if itā€™s just for winter Iā€™ll probably only do the rears. If I do front then when I go back to my all seasons it may look funny

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Cool, i

Yeah, if itā€™s just for winter Iā€™ll probably only do the rears. If I do front then when I go back to my all seasons it may look funny
Hereā€™s a rear shot before I put the Rockblokz on, about a week after I got my car. That is with the 285/35/20 on the 20x10 +35 wheels

IMG_0744.jpeg

Sponsored

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
And hereā€™s a zoomed in pic of the front with the Rockblokz on and my winter set on (235/50/18). The Rockblokz donā€™t stick out too far so it doesnā€™t look too weird with the winter wheels that are more tucked in.

IMG_2899.png

OP
OP
ChitownStang

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
Hereā€™s a rear shot before I put the Rockblokz on, about a week after I got my car. That is with the 285/35/20 on the 20x10 +35 wheels

IMG_0744.jpeg
Rear is pokin over a little, nice!
I didnā€™t know you had 20ā€™s that changes things a bit

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Just from a diameter perspective. The width basically is the same

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Yeah ever so slight bit of poke. I donā€™t mind but definitely need something to keep the pebbles from getting kicked up and doing a number on your paint
Sponsored