Sponsored

Storing my Mustang convertible for the winter Advice?

gqllc007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium Convertible
Any hints how to keep mice out? I have heard of mothballs, bounce dryer sheets etc...What do you guys recommend. It will be in a metal building with gravel on the ground. It is on a pseudo farm so I expect mice to be present. Owner says he also has some barn cats
Sponsored

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
Bowl of vinegar somewhere in the building

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
My advice is move to somewhere you can drive it year round. I know it's probably not helpful advice, but you weren't specific. :)

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
A tom cat.

SVT-DADDY

World's heaviest S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
-Get some small poison traps for under the car
-Steel wool in tail pipes(Exhaust is like Disney world for mice)
-Small cup of damp rid for the interior(keeps musty smells at bay)
-Add some Star Tron fuel stabilizer to your tank, I like to store with a full tank
-Get a good cover...those barn cars will have a field day on your top!

Sponsored

Justin Fontaine

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2011 Tundra Limited, 16Mazda CX-5 GT, BMW R1200GS, Husaberg FE 350
Bowl of vinegar somewhere in the building
Never heard the vinegar one. Interesting. What does it prevent? I do steel wool in the pipes. Bounce sheets in the engine bay and any external exposed wires. Quarter tank of non-ethanol (very important) gas with some Sta-bil driven in the mix. Some also park the car on pieces of styrofoam to keep the tires from getting flat spots.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
Never heard the vinegar one. Interesting. What does it prevent? I do steel wool in the pipes. Bounce sheets in the engine bay and any external exposed wires. Quarter tank of non-ethanol (very important) gas with some Sta-bil driven in the mix. Some also park the car on pieces of styrofoam to keep the tires from getting flat spots.
Nothing likes the smell of vinegar! And I do mean... nothing! lol

OP
OP

gqllc007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium Convertible
I do have a cover for it is it OK to leave the top down instead of up with a cover over it

QRK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Premium
I do have a cover for it is it OK to leave the top down instead of up with a cover over it
Definitely wouldn't leave the top down, regardless of having a cover. I don't think you'd be doing the durability of the top any favors by leaving it folded all winter. Plus, I'm not sure what the quality of your cover is but you'd be leaving the possibility open for dust getting in your interior as well as some critter being able to crawl underneath.

QRK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Premium
A few traps and a bowl of peanut oil near the car should do the trick. I've never heard of the bowl of vinegar but I saw this video for peanut oil:

Sponsored

Nitronorth

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rock
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Auto
i have stored cars for the last 40 winters,in the country... I tried the bounce thing, THEY built a huge nest out of the stuff in the middle of my trunk!! thought it worked till then!! I have used moth balls, and they work!! But they stink up the car good..
For the last 10 years I just throw that green mouse/rat poison stuff under the car, some on a pan in trunk, interior, and definitely dump some around the top of engine, as the one year i didnt, they ate the main harness..grrrr. And no my cat wont touch the stuff.
Never a problem since.

I did however have a bad experience leaving one car in a metal building with a dirt floor as the humidity in the place totally rusted the whole bottom of my car in one winter! I mean it turned brown, and stayed that way! Every piece of the suspension and the pan rust covered! Seems it cooked the building good in the sun, the hot cold cycle really did her in..even in a real cold Canadian winter! Mighta been the soil it was built on or poor ventilation, but wow!