Sponsored

Stock airbox Ford hits it out of the park with this thing....

908ssp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT/PP white
I am really over the moon with what a good job Ford did with the new airbox. The aftermarket is going to have a hard time topping this thing. It has a dedicated input section of the grill too so it gets 100% cold outside air no hot air from the engine compartment. Check it out. The best the after market could do is change the filter and maybe make a new lid with larger MAF tube.

Sponsored

Old 5 Oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium AT
Looks like there's room for a larger, smoother inlet tube but I think you are right. The basic design of the inlet box is really good, much better than the leaky open-top design we've seen already in the aftermarket. Some enterprising type needs to reverse engineer the airbox with a larger MAF tube and inlet. Should be worth at least some power to someone who is going to use a tuner.

SVTFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Wimbledon white LE #275 A6
11-14 was same way. There are gains to larger inlets to be had.

bakerjd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
JLT has proven there's room for improvement already.

Sponsored

Jimdohc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado and R32 GTR
Stock box looks great!
Thanks for posting pictures.
Don't have my car yet. If you're curious about box's effectiveness. Maybe you could compare, low-speed low-rpm WOT vacuum gauge reading to WOT near redline at high speed. If it reads exactly the same (probably 0 or near 0) in both tests. Then box & filter are not a restriction. If low speed test is 0 and high speed test is 1 or 2 inHG it's a restriction (~2inHG = 1psi).

OP
OP

908ssp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT/PP white
Stock box looks great!
Thanks for posting pictures.
Don't have my car yet. If you're curious about box's effectiveness. Maybe you could compare, low-speed low-rpm WOT vacuum gauge reading to WOT near redline at high speed. If it reads exactly the same (probably 0 or near 0) in both tests. Then box & filter are not a restriction. If low speed test is 0 and high speed test is 1 or 2 inHG it's a restriction (~2inHG = 1psi).
You might even see a very slight ram air effect. The inlet tube is around 10 inches high. That is huge. And the input is completely divided off from the radiator. So the high pressure air in front of the grill is split into the radiator side and the air cleaner side. Any air cleaner that allows engine compartment air is going to lose hp in real world driving. You can't test this with the hood up as every dyno run does or with the mass of air that piles up in front of the car at 55 mph or more.

Mikeiscoo2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
what i dont get is why people who put headers on their car dont just heat wrap them.. BOOM thats saves on more engine bay temps then any thing you could possibly do. people complain about hot engine bay temps with their cold air intakes and im just like.. how many times do i have to say it..

DivineStrike

Doomsday
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GTPP, 11 F150 FX4, 07 CBR600RR
what i dont get is why people who put headers on their car dont just heat wrap them.. BOOM thats saves on more engine bay temps then any thing you could possibly do. people complain about hot engine bay temps with their cold air intakes and im just like.. how many times do i have to say it..
One word..corrosion

OP
OP

908ssp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT/PP white
Fully wrapped header, GT500 hood vent opened up for maximum flow, Jlt CAI extended up to hood there is a two inch gap between the top of the CAI box and the hood. and we still saw 50degree higher temps going into the filter than ambiant. We had a sensor installed right in front of the air cleaner.

Sponsored

Khell86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang Gt
Sounds like Airraids new CAI might be the way to go? It has a nice looking box design.

Anthony

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Can't respond
I ceramic coated my Turbo system. Headers, crossover and exhaust housing. 4" alum downpipe polished, 3" alum out of compressor into fire wall, polished also. No cowl hood. No air filter. Pulling air from right behind the Ron Davis radiator. After the inter cooler, inlet temps off the bs3 were 10 ish over Ambient, after sitting in traffic they would creep up to 20 over.

Header wrap is a pain. I've done it near starters. But that's it.

This is all me. Not "we". I speak for myself, not others.

Sales@BBR

Sales & Tech
Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.blowbyracing.com
Vehicle(s)
BlowByRacing

Mike A.

Threads
Reaction score