Sponsored

Stereo Information (Wiring, Upgrades, etc...)

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
The FD01 only works on the B&O amp plugs. I believe the adapter plug you need the Idatalink Maestro AF03. @Cathul will know better than I since I’ve only worked with the B&O system.
Sponsored

greasy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Velocity Blue Mach 1
The FD01 only works on the B&O amp plugs. I believe the adapter plug you need the Idatalink Maestro AF03. @Cathul will know better than I since I’ve only worked with the B&O system.
Ok great, so I’m not a total idiot.

Thank you for the heads up on this, looking forward to the response from @Cathul

greasy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You need the HRN-AR-FO3 adapter for the Shaker systems.
Appreciate you confirming Cathul!

Nothing else is needed to run off of the head unit then like you would with the 12 speaker system using the Pac Amp Pro?

My setup is Audiofrog GB60’s, GB25’s, GB10’s with the front center and rear speakers eliminated, and the addition of a single 10” JL Audio sub in the trunk. This will all be run off of the JL Audio VX800/8i 8 channel amplifier with DSP (dedicated channels for the front 6 speakers and the last 2 bridged for the sub).

I’ll be using @StangTime ‘s recommendation below for the RCA’s where I was going to run optical…..doesn’t look like that’s an option here.

Appreciate the help again!

Hey Paul,

On paper, you've got the flow of the system correct. The diagram really helps show that. In an ideal world, using the Metra speaker cable as your inputs and outputs would be a clever way to connect up 2-way system. However, low-level electrical signals are rather particular and running inputs and outputs within the same wire is likely going to result in some really bad system noise or even feedback. The inputs can pick up the output signals by means of electromagnetic coupling.

To prevent noise pickup, use shielded twisted pairs for the signal inputs. A cheap and easy way is to use computer network cable. I'm not sure you saw my post on this but shielded Cat6 cable and some breakout terminals are perfect for this. Your car has the 9 speaker system I assume as you said you would be disconnecting the midrange drivers in the door. If so, your head unit is sending variable low-level BTL signals out. These are perfect for connecting directly to the inputs of an amplifier using a home-made cable shown below.

I would hook up all lines Front and Rear in case you want to utilize them in the future. Notice how the lines cross over in the middle of the terminal block. This is correct and critical when using the DVR Ethernet Adapters.

1673535945212.png

Links to the parts:
DVR Ethernet Screw Terminals
Cat6 STP cable
RCA to AV screw terminal adapters
Optional: Wire ferrules and a crimper. Keeps the wires from fraying on the ends.

What it looks like when assembled:
1673535848218.png

The input side of this cable connects directly to the AF03 harness through the DVR adapter and now you can eliminate the LC2-i line output converter. Less equipment in the signal chain, less noise, less complexity.

Now on to some suggestions. Do you have the Kenwood 5 channel amp already? If not, may I suggest the Hertz HCP-5D instead? Basically the same price but the Hertz is a much better made and performing amp. I run this amplifier in my car and I love it. With a 2ohm JL audio subwoofer, it's more than adequate. The Kenwood has a terrible signal to noise ratio at 78db. The Hertz HCP-5D is 100db. A 22db difference is a lot considering 3db is an audible increase. You can also add a bass knob to the HCP-5D to control the subwoofer level directly.

I hope this information was helpful and if you want to revise your drawing I will gladly review it again.

Cathul

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
With the Shaker system there is no option to run optical from the front to the back, that's correct.
Just make sure the RCAs are twisted pair wires.

Sponsored

greasy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Few more questions @Cathul or @StangTime or anyone else knowledgeable about this stuff.

I’m working on wrapping the Maestro AF03 harness. I’m not running the DSR1 but will be running a JL Audio VX800/8i 8 channel amplifier with DSP.

Question 1
After I make the Ethernet adapters for the signals (RCA’s) I only have 4 channels (Front Left/Front Right/Rear Left/Rear Right). My amp is an 8 channel amp. Any issue running RCA Y adapters to get the 8 channels needed?

Question 2
channel For the AF03 specifically are the pieces of the harness that I have in red boxes (pics below) unnecessary? I was planning on running the remote wire from the fuse box #27 which is for the stock amplifier. Since it will be removed I feel like this would be the perfect spot.

IMG_2490.jpeg

IMG_2491.jpeg

IMG_2492.jpeg

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
Few more questions @Cathul or @StangTime or anyone else knowledgeable about this stuff.

I’m working on wrapping the Maestro AF03 harness. I’m not running the DSR1 but will be running a JL Audio VX800/8i 8 channel amplifier with DSP.

Question 1
After I make the Ethernet adapters for the signals (RCA’s) I only have 4 channels (Front Left/Front Right/Rear Left/Rear Right). My amp is an 8 channel amp. Any issue running RCA Y adapters to get the 8 channels needed?

Question 2
channel For the AF03 specifically are the pieces of the harness that I have in red boxes (pics below) unnecessary? I was planning on running the remote wire from the fuse box #27 which is for the stock amplifier. Since it will be removed I feel like this would be the perfect spot.

IMG_2490.jpeg

IMG_2491.jpeg

IMG_2492.jpeg
No Ys needed. The DSP software in the VXi allows you to create multiple channels off of one or more inputs. You do this through JL Tün 4.

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
Awesome! That saves me some cash here, thanks @Evolvd!
No problem. That’s the great thing about DSPs, you only need a single full range input and you can manage everything about it and determine where that signal goes and how it’s modified for every single speaker.

Cathul

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Yellow is constant 12V, black is ground, blue should be Audio enable.
You could use these to turn on the amp, if the JL amp is able to turn on with a 6V remote turn on.
Otherwise you need to add a relay like the Pac-Audio TR4 to transform the 6V turn on to a 12V turn on. This would give you total stock behavior in the amplifier like you would have with the stock amplifier (apart from all the CAN bus controlled things).
Or you turn on the amplifier with the BTL signal, because technically the signal wires are "high-level", but reduced in voltage to 4V peak-to-peak. This means that if you measure each of the signals wires to ground you get the 6V like you do with high level signals.
Almost every amp with high-level turn on sensing should be able to cope with that. Be aware though that this could give you the occasional turn on/off pop/noise.

greasy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yellow is constant 12V, black is ground, blue should be Audio enable.
You could use these to turn on the amp, if the JL amp is able to turn on with a 6V remote turn on.
Otherwise you need to add a relay like the Pac-Audio TR4 to transform the 6V turn on to a 12V turn on. This would give you total stock behavior in the amplifier like you would have with the stock amplifier (apart from all the CAN bus controlled things).
Or you turn on the amplifier with the BTL signal, because technically the signal wires are "high-level", but reduced in voltage to 4V peak-to-peak. This means that if you measure each of the signals wires to ground you get the 6V like you do with high level signals.
Almost every amp with high-level turn on sensing should be able to cope with that. Be aware though that this could give you the occasional turn on/off pop/noise.
Thanks dude!
Sponsored