Inigo

P2P Engineering
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2015 PP GT 6spd
Anyone else had this happen? Its electric so can it "relearn" center?
Sponsored

pockama

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 MBZ G65AMG, 2016 Ford GT, 2016 RR PHANTOM
I did 3 alignments in local shop and still not centered. I am mad.
I had a 2014 BMW 328 with EPS and BMW dealer did the alignment for $250. BMW has steering sensors.

JC'sGT5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black Mustang GT, PP
I can't stand when the steering wheel isn't centered. I thought that if the steering wheel is off center it means that the front end alignment is out?

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
It usually means that the alignment tech either didn't get the steering wheel locked into position or set total toe without considering the steering wheel position. It could also happen if aligning the rear wheels changed the thrust angle (i.e. rear toes) and the steering wheel centering not corrected to suit.

Any car with stability control needs to have its steering wheel position sensor reset as part of an alignment job.

Tire pressures are supposed to be set to spec before aligning.

Norm

Sponsored

Edkiefer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XR4ti
It usually means that the alignment tech either didn't get the steering wheel locked into position or set total toe without considering the steering wheel position. It could also happen if aligning the rear wheels changed the thrust angle (i.e. rear toes) and the steering wheel centering not corrected to suit.

Any car with stability control needs to have its steering wheel position sensor reset as part of an alignment job.

Tire pressures are supposed to be set to spec before aligning.

Norm
That's interesting ,so you couldn't just adjust tie rods, say in 1/4 turn on one side and out 1/4 turn on other side (whichever way to get wheel straight)?

OP
OP
Inigo

Inigo

P2P Engineering
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2015 PP GT 6spd
I'm bringing it to a indy. Ford dealerships suck around here.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
That's interesting ,so you couldn't just adjust tie rods, say in 1/4 turn on one side and out 1/4 turn on other side (whichever way to get wheel straight)?
Generally, not without re-zeroing the steering wheel sensor to the AdvanceTrak computer.

It may be possible to "sneak" a little change in steering wheel position past the stability control computer, but if you can't it can cause unexpected problems (the AdvanceTrak computer will think you're steering more than you really are when you're turning one way, and less than you really are in the other, and may not act appropriately. My guess is that at minimum, it might intervene too late one way, or too early the other.

I'm sure you can find repair industry notes on this at brakeandfrontend.com (I get the monthly magazine in print).

Norm

Edkiefer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XR4ti
Generally, not without re-zeroing the steering wheel sensor to the AdvanceTrak computer.

It may be possible to "sneak" a little change in steering wheel position past the stability control computer, but if you can't it can cause unexpected problems (the AdvanceTrak computer will think you're steering more than you really are when you're turning one way, and less than you really are in the other, and may not act appropriately. My guess is that at minimum, it might intervene too late one way, or too early the other.

I'm sure you can find repair industry notes on this at brakeandfrontend.com (I get the monthly magazine in print).

Norm
Thanks for info, looks like i am out of loop on this, never worked or stability assist system .
Hmm, wonder if my 08 Accord has similar thing, have to check the manual .

Dirtleg

BoostCreep
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
15' EB Prem PP, 07' GT (track Car), 01' RC51, 16" S1000XR
I thought this just happnened to me. I ended up going to 2 independent shops that both got it wrong before I took it to the dealer. They fixed it properly. I never used to trust the dealer but where I live at now you can't trust the independents.

Ecoboosted

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Mustang GT, 19' Road Glide
Hell my steering wheel is slightly off to the left when i bought it new. I didn't realize it until after i got it home. The dealership is 180 miles / 3 hours away. It hasn't bothered me that much. I will be putting the track pack suspension on in a few weeks and when i get the alignment done at the local Ford dealer i will make sure they get the steering wheel centered for the alignment.
Sponsored