Sponsored

Steeda's S550 Mustang Clutch Spring Assist 35 lb/in - Now Available!

B.Crowder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
White 2015 Mustang GT Prem. M/T
I installed the Steeda spring over the winter when the car was in storage and finally took it out today. I was surprised at how much smoother my shifting was, especially after having not driven a manual car for over four months. Very linear feel without that change in effort right around the engagement point. And the effort doesn't seem to have increased that much. Highly recommended!
Sponsored

Texstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 EB Premium PP 6MT
I just installed mine after work today. I had previously removed the clutch spring and while this improved the feel, I didn't care for the extra play at the top of the pedal. I kept feeling the need to pull the pedal up with my foot to make sure it was all the way up.

The new spring was easy to install. I didn't need any tools since it was easier to compress by hand. The pedal travel still feels much more linear than with the stock spring and there is no slack at the top of the pedal travel.

Good product - I recommend it.

shelbywannabe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black Mustang GT PP
Ordered 2. My brother also has a new Mustang. Looking forward to seeing how it feels.

5lette

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT PP Manual
Installed mine today

I purchased one of the Steeda springs because of this thread. Really for peace of mind that I was not doing damage to the clutch long term by removing the factory spring.

Installation was a snap. Took about the same amount of time as it does for the power seat to motor back so you can get down under the steering wheel column.

I did not feel the weight of the clutch was objectionable without the factory spring. However, the difference with the Steeda spring installed sort of feels like going from sport to normal on the steering mode and even that might be over stating the difference. You are still able to easily modulate the clutch as if the spring was removed. I like many other posts was not able to smoothly shift with the factory spring installed without much focus on what I was doing. None of that is a problem with the Steeda spring. I do feel like they came up with a good compromise to address the drive ability issue and still protect the mechanics of the clutch.

GRNGUARD15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard Green PP GT
I just recently installed mine and I love the feel of it now, it has just the right amount of pressure pushback. I did notice that my pedal has a little bit of slack in it now. Anyone else experience this?

Sponsored

tdmcb36

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I am very glad I found the many recommendations for this throughout the forum. It was the first thing I changed on my new mustang.

Not that this product needs another thumbs up, but it is truly the perfect solution. Best of both worlds of being able to feel the clutch like the no spring solution, as well as not being a strain on (in my case) the knees. Great product.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
I just recently installed mine and I love the feel of it now, it has just the right amount of pressure pushback. I did notice that my pedal has a little bit of slack in it now. Anyone else experience this?
You should not be able to pull the pedal up anymore than it is when it;s fully up. Unlike if you had no assist spring, then you would literally have a floppy pedal when it was all the way up.

But if you are talking about the ~1/4 of "softer" travel when you first push down on the pedal, then yes that it normal with the softer assist spring. All hydraulic clutches have ~1/4 of "free play" at the top. The OEM spring was so damn stiff that it was hard to detect that normal free play when the pedal was first depressed.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone know where I can get the plastic bits for the spring perch?
I'm looking for this too. I lost one piece and want to get this spring, but can't find it w/o ordering a whole pedal assembly (not going to do that).

Anyone?

Khyber

it's a hard parked life
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Landon
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP CO
Just bought a spring...time to find out.

OP
OP
David@Steeda

David@Steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.steeda.com
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
Bolt-on, slammed S197
Glad so many of you are happy with our popular clutch spring!

As a heads up, because some of you have an S197 as well or have friends that do, we just released those for the 2011-2014 (all models): 2011-2014 S197 Clutch Spring 555-7023

Sponsored

robwlf

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
rob
Vehicle(s)
17 lightning blue pp LFP 670
got mine last week.. must say it feels alot better then the stock spring . i did the no spring for a week then seen it isnt good for the slave to run without one.. so..
works nicely.and for the price ya cant go wrong

clintsS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Deep Impact PPGT - 400A - Nav
Total Fail with this mod - Operator Error....

I just wanted folks to be aware of what could happen with this very easy swap. This has nothing to do with the quality of the Steeda part. The error was mine alone. BUT, it is important to note that when you remove the stock spring, be careful that you have a good bite in it with vice grips. Mine slipped off and the spring jumped out. In doing so, it slammed the top spring retainer (plastic) into the pedal assembly and broke the plastic.

This part isn't available from Ford. Had to purchase an entire pedal assembly from dealer and it was special order. couple hundred bucks down the drain for a $0.30 piece of plastic.

If anyone needs a pedal assembly (minus the spring retainer) I have one...

Live and learn.

Pootie_Stang

Wah Dah Ta
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 RR GT PP Base
I just wanna go ahead and confirm everyone else in saying this is literally the BEST mod Ive done to this car. I just swapped it on at 12k miles and what a difference, the clutch literally feels like a clutch now. I was actually considering trading the car because I hated the clutch feel that much, thank you steeda!

Install literally took 3 minutes, pushed clutch down with my left hand, pinched the spring with my needle nose vice grips, pulled towards me and it slide right out. Rinse and repeat. Best mod hands down!

PJR202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP Shadow Black
I just wanted folks to be aware of what could happen with this very easy swap. This has nothing to do with the quality of the Steeda part. The error was mine alone. BUT, it is important to note that when you remove the stock spring, be careful that you have a good bite in it with vice grips. Mine slipped off and the spring jumped out. In doing so, it slammed the top spring retainer (plastic) into the pedal assembly and broke the plastic.

This part isn't available from Ford. Had to purchase an entire pedal assembly from dealer and it was special order. couple hundred bucks down the drain for a $0.30 piece of plastic.

If anyone needs a pedal assembly (minus the spring retainer) I have one...

Live and learn.
Could you not have just left the spring out entirely instead of spending all that cash?

OP
OP
David@Steeda

David@Steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.steeda.com
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
Bolt-on, slammed S197
I just wanna go ahead and confirm everyone else in saying this is literally the BEST mod Ive done to this car. I just swapped it on at 12k miles and what a difference, the clutch literally feels like a clutch now. I was actually considering trading the car because I hated the clutch feel that much, thank you steeda!

Install literally took 3 minutes, pushed clutch down with my left hand, pinched the spring with my needle nose vice grips, pulled towards me and it slide right out. Rinse and repeat. Best mod hands down!
This review makes me happy :) enjoy!
Sponsored