Sponsored

Steeda Vertical Link Install and Review

'Merica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Z51 3LT Stingray
I have had these on now for about a full week. I have been trying my best to find time from moving, taking a new job, and studying for an install and review thread.

First, I can't say enough about Steeda's amazing customer service. This is my second order with them and the lightning fast shipping is insane. Both times, the product has been on my front door before Steeda even has a chance to send a tracking confirmation. [MENTION=10893]David@Steeda[/MENTION] is the man and is a pleasure to work with.

The instructions received are great, but hopefully this can prepare you even better for a quicker install!

First, I jacked my car up and put the rear on jack stands. Be sure to chock the front tires, pull the emergency brake, and prepare the band aids. This is also a great time for you to clean the barrels of your wheels while you have them off.

I used a spare jack to support the bottom knuckle, which worked well.

For better reference to the vertical link:

The bottom bolt is an 18mm and the top is a 15mm. It is nice to have a breaker bar handy for these.

Then tap the top of the OE vertical links with a rubber mallet and they will fall out.

Now to get your new beefy Steeda vertical links in. These things are night and day compared to the OE links. It will make your life easier with a second person at this point.

Key tips. Use lots of the supplied lube on all corners and bushings on the links. I thought the easiest way to get these in was to come in from the top and tap the top of the link until it was seated.

This is the toughest part of the install for me and where an extra set of hands helps. The top bolt is pretty easy to get aligned and in. The bottom bolt was not so easy. I had my extra set of hands raising and lowering the jack I had under the knuckle until the hole was aligned perfectly. Then in both holes I had to tap the bolt a couple times for it to start. I did the passenger side by myself and it took probably 45 minutes to get the alignment just right because I was doing it myself. I did the drivers side in under 10 with a little help.

Torque bolts to the specs given in the instructions and your vertical links are in!

Clean the wheels and bolt them back up and you're done!

My Review...

I can't say enough about these links. They have taken the hop out completely now. My car actually slides now more than jumping and hopping along. The PP rear bounciness is 95% gone. Corners feel tight and stable now with no roll in the rear.

I am trying my best to get my car up to the Blue Ridge, but normal street driving and launching the car feels much more smooth and tight. For the money, this is a must for our S550s!
Sponsored

David@Steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.steeda.com
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
Bolt-on, slammed S197
Thanks for the detailed review, Josh! I'm sure this will come in very handy for members looking to tackle the install! Enjoy! :)

OP
OP
'Merica

'Merica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Z51 3LT Stingray
Yeah man, it's an easy install, just a lot easier with 2 people.

OP
OP
'Merica

'Merica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Z51 3LT Stingray
A guy on Facebook was asking me about the install so :bump: to put this on page 1! You guys will love these, they really plant the rear of the car! I think after my MPSS install, I will have a much faster car with outstanding grip.

David@Steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.steeda.com
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
Bolt-on, slammed S197
A guy on Facebook was asking me about the install so :bump: to put this on page 1! You guys will love these, they really plant the rear of the car! I think after my MPSS install, I will have a much faster car with outstanding grip.
So what's next on the list?!

Sponsored

OP
OP
'Merica

'Merica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Z51 3LT Stingray
A down payment on a house :(

I could buy a Whipple if I would have just kept renting lol

I'll be back though, I really want those Konis!

OP
OP
'Merica

'Merica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Z51 3LT Stingray
Yeah man, it's crazy how much of a difference these make! You won't be disappointed! Install isn't all that difficult either.

MustangCollector

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various vintage shelbys
i agree these do make a huge difference. i took a set off a friends car and now after he sold them he wants them back, go figure.

15Black3.7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black 3.7
I just picked up a set of Sr vertical links and it says it's recommended to get an alignment afterwards. Is that true?

Sponsored

HybridGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT "Ecoboost"
Did one side, still can't get the other side to hook (bottom screw) :shrug:

Been an hour on the driver's side... Arghhh

Old Car Guy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Tech Pack. AG Black Roof Black Stripes G3597
I have had these on now for about a full week. I have been trying my best to find time from moving, taking a new job, and studying for an install and review thread.

First, I can't say enough about Steeda's amazing customer service. This is my second order with them and the lightning fast shipping is insane. Both times, the product has been on my front door before Steeda even has a chance to send a tracking confirmation. [MENTION=10893]David@Steeda[/MENTION] is the man and is a pleasure to work with.

The instructions received are great, but hopefully this can prepare you even better for a quicker install!

First, I jacked my car up and put the rear on jack stands. Be sure to chock the front tires, pull the emergency brake, and prepare the band aids. This is also a great time for you to clean the barrels of your wheels while you have them off.

I used a spare jack to support the bottom knuckle, which worked well.

For better reference to the vertical link:

The bottom bolt is an 18mm and the top is a 15mm. It is nice to have a breaker bar handy for these.

Then tap the top of the OE vertical links with a rubber mallet and they will fall out.

Now to get your new beefy Steeda vertical links in. These things are night and day compared to the OE links. It will make your life easier with a second person at this point.

Key tips. Use lots of the supplied lube on all corners and bushings on the links. I thought the easiest way to get these in was to come in from the top and tap the top of the link until it was seated.

This is the toughest part of the install for me and where an extra set of hands helps. The top bolt is pretty easy to get aligned and in. The bottom bolt was not so easy. I had my extra set of hands raising and lowering the jack I had under the knuckle until the hole was aligned perfectly. Then in both holes I had to tap the bolt a couple times for it to start. I did the passenger side by myself and it took probably 45 minutes to get the alignment just right because I was doing it myself. I did the drivers side in under 10 with a little help.

Torque bolts to the specs given in the instructions and your vertical links are in!

Clean the wheels and bolt them back up and you're done!

My Review...

I can't say enough about these links. They have taken the hop out completely now. My car actually slides now more than jumping and hopping along. The PP rear bounciness is 95% gone. Corners feel tight and stable now with no roll in the rear.

I am trying my best to get my car up to the Blue Ridge, but normal street driving and launching the car feels much more smooth and tight. For the money, this is a must for our S550s!
I had them on my 2015 GT and they are a great product from Steeda, and they did make a big difference for the Mustang! :cheers: John

HybridGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT "Ecoboost"
Anyone put the bottom bolt in first? Haven't tried that yet, may be an option.

I think it's been 2 hours total trying to get the driver's side bolt lined up.

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Magnetic Premium PP 50AP
Anyone put the bottom bolt in first? Haven't tried that yet, may be an option.

I think it's been 2 hours total trying to get the driver's side bolt lined up.
Yes, I put the bottom in first and know your struggle. I used a combination of a jack under the suspension to chance the geometry and a pry bar for persuasion. When I got it very close, I tapped the bolt lightly with a hammer and then screwed it in. If I remember correctly, the end of the bolt isn't threaded and is tapered which made it a little more forgiving. It still took quite some time but I'm a rookie.

*EDIT: Correction, looking at the pictures, I did put the top in first, sorry, was a while ago.
Sponsored