Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Well I finally got around to replacing the oem coolant tank with the Steeda brand I picked up last year. I looked at several different models including the Mishimito, but ultimately chose the Steeda. The install was pretty simple, but not without a little coolant spillage. I purchased a hose clamp pliers which really helped with the OEM clamps.
I was concerned about the clearance of the Ford OEM passenger side oil seperator; it's a tight fit, but enough of a gap that everything cleared just fine. Emptied the oil seperator while I had everything apart. The original plastic tank did not look the best for wear; glad to have completed this.
A couple of questions for the group (Steeda Specific)
1. The new tank does not have a filler cap notch near the base of the threads. The stock unit had this so that you knew how tight to screw on the cap. It also allowed the cap graphics to be upright and centered, not that it matters. I am wondering on the Steeda do I just need to screw it on finger tight for a proper seal?
2. How much extra fluid should I put in the reservoir tank? I poured in what was in the plastic tank, but I know they said it has a higher capacity, just not sure at what level fill it to?
20240216_202916519_iOS.jpg
Sponsored

Need4SpeedMotors

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.n4sm.com
First Name
N4SM Team
Vehicle(s)
S550 Mustang & Shelby GT350 platform
Hand tight is fine for the cap, and for these coolant tanks filling it up about half way is where you want it. The coolant rises with heat/ pressure so you don't want to go more than half.

OP
OP
Lorne34

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Hand tight is fine for the cap, and for these coolant tanks filling it up about half way is where you want it. The coolant rises with heat/ pressure so you don't want to go more than half.
Thank you for your reply. I called and spoke to one of the lead tech's at Steeda and here is what he said:
1. The cap should screw on and then "click" in place. He said there was some sort of locking mechanism inside of the cap itself that prevents it from being over tightened.
If it doesn't "click" he recommended that I buy a new motorcraft oem cap which I did.
2. He said I should fill it within 1-2 inches of the top which did NOT sound right to me... half way seems more reasonable.
Thoughts?

Amac8487

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT350/ '16 C7 06
I would fill it half way. I have the steeda as well, and it sure is hard to see…. I just dumped what I had in my original coolant reservoir into it, and called it a day. If you just need “a little more” due to spillage, just top off with some distilled water opposed to going out and buying fluid.

I screw my top on until I can’t any longer it bottoms out and can’t be turned any more. However, it is TIGHT and tough to turn… but it does bottom out.
Ive had mine on for 2 years and 15k miles since and no issues

jloshotz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
Just wanted to add……it looks really good! 👍🏻

Sponsored

Canadian Crimson

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Convertible PP1 Royal Crimson
Well I finally got around to replacing the oem coolant tank with the Steeda brand I picked up last year. I looked at several different models including the Mishimito, but ultimately chose the Steeda. The install was pretty simple, but not without a little coolant spillage. I purchased a hose clamp pliers which really helped with the OEM clamps.
I was concerned about the clearance of the Ford OEM passenger side oil seperator; it's a tight fit, but enough of a gap that everything cleared just fine. Emptied the oil seperator while I had everything apart. The original plastic tank did not look the best for wear; glad to have completed this.
A couple of questions for the group (Steeda Specific)
1. The new tank does not have a filler cap notch near the base of the threads. The stock unit had this so that you knew how tight to screw on the cap. It also allowed the cap graphics to be upright and centered, not that it matters. I am wondering on the Steeda do I just need to screw it on finger tight for a proper seal?
2. How much extra fluid should I put in the reservoir tank? I poured in what was in the plastic tank, but I know they said it has a higher capacity, just not sure at what level fill it to?
20240216_202916519_iOS.jpg
What's with the Irish Spring?

OP
OP
Lorne34

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I would fill it half way. I have the steeda as well, and it sure is hard to see…. I just dumped what I had in my original coolant reservoir into it, and called it a day. If you just need “a little more” due to spillage, just top off with some distilled water opposed to going out and buying fluid.

I screw my top on until I can’t any longer it bottoms out and can’t be turned any more. However, it is TIGHT and tough to turn… but it does bottom out.
Ive had mine on for 2 years and 15k miles since and no issues
Thanks really appreciate the input. it's been frustrating dealing with whoever I talked to at Steeda. I really like the tank though, really encouraging that you have had no issues.

OP
OP
Lorne34

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
thank you!

Sponsored
OP
OP
Lorne34

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
Lorne34

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
What's with the Irish Spring?
LOL... yeah I moved that bar over near the air intake and realized that It was in the pics after the fact. I am in WI where my Shelby is in deep sleep/slumber under the control of a battery tender. The Irish Spring soap is a rodent deterrent. They don't like the smell.
It also "freshens up" the engine bay... :crackup::like::giggle:

Canadian Crimson

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Convertible PP1 Royal Crimson
LOL... yeah I moved that bar over near the air intake and realized that It was in the pics after the fact. I am in WI where my Shelby is in deep sleep/slumber under the control of a battery tender. The Irish Spring soap is a rodent deterrent. They don't like the smell.
It also "freshens up" the engine bay... :crackup::like::giggle:
I use bounce sheets, pretty well anything with a heavy scent will keep them away , plus I put rodent bait around the corners of the barn. Once a few years ago ,I had squirrels dumo the neighbors bird feeder into the intake of a motorcycle. But it was a good reason to buy a heavy breather kit for it.

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you for your reply. I called and spoke to one of the lead tech's at Steeda and here is what he said:
1. The cap should screw on and then "click" in place. He said there was some sort of locking mechanism inside of the cap itself that prevents it from being over tightened.
If it doesn't "click" he recommended that I buy a new motorcraft oem cap which I did.
2. He said I should fill it within 1-2 inches of the top which did NOT sound right to me... half way seems more reasonable.
Thoughts?
Jamie brings over three decades of experience as a technician to the table and plays a crucial role in our Steeda Performance Vehicle program. His wealth of knowledge ensures that any advice he offers is reliable and valuable.

Best Regards,

TJ

Jaymar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaymar
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT/CS - Rapid Red
It performs the function of overflow, surge and burp tank so technically, everybody is right. You want enough room that it has room to expand but you also want enough fluid to make sure it never runs dry and pulls in air. That includes keeping the drain covered in fluid while braking/turning slosh happens hence the advice to keep it 1"-2" from the top. I can see where the Steeda tech is coming from going that high. As long as it doesn't puke out when hot, then filling to the high side will be fine. Other than that, there is no advantage to going low.
Sponsored