Sponsored

Starting Issues

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
Car won't start sometimes. At first it was a dead battery, which was replaced. Car wouldn't start a few days later, and they said there was a draw somewhere. They ended up replacing the starter relay. Now the problem has popped up again. Previous times, I would get a charging system issue, and I'd have to jump it.

It's different this time, no error messages. I'll press the button, and I'll hear clicking, but car won't start up. Voltage was 11.8 at the time. My service advisor won't be back for a couple more weeks, and he's the only one who makes sure it gets into a GT350 experienced Tech who has been fantastic this whole time. Left it in the hands of another just last week, and there's a push pin in the driver footwell that I don't know where it came from, and they installed the footwell trim Over my weathertech floor mats, and god knows what else. Didn't help that the car also smelled like someone slept in it.

Anyone else having this issue or might have an idea of what's going on?
Sponsored

tripp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
What did they say was the source of the draw, the starter relay? That would be unusual.
The symptoms do seem to indicate a draw is causing the issue, but it's more likely due to a module staying active. Are there any other symptoms you've noticed insofar as lights or noises after the vehicle is completely off?

OP
OP

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
What did they say was the source of the draw, the starter relay? That would be unusual.
The symptoms do seem to indicate a draw is causing the issue, but it's more likely due to a module staying active. Are there any other symptoms you've noticed insofar as lights or noises after the vehicle is completely off?
This time around, I just kept on playing around with the starter button: repeated presses, turning the car off and waiting a few moments and trying again seemed to do the trick. It had enough voltage, 11.8. I've started it with as low as 11.4.

tripp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
You shouldn't have that low voltage condition though. You could verify the draw with an ammeter, anything over .05mA is excessive once all of the modules have gone to sleep.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
They replaced the starter, and also my entire wiring harness at the same time. It was most likely the starter though, as one of the Ford engineers said they encountered a similar issue on another Shelby.