Sponsored

Standard vs lightweight/lithium battery - what are the options in 2023, and what are peoples' experiences?

King_V

2015 Mustang GT Owner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 Oldsmobile Cutlass Calais, 1987 Ford LTD Crown Victoria LX, 2015 Ford Mustang GT, 2016 Toyota Prius Two Eco
Welp, ok, so, my 2015 GT is a garage queen. As of today, it has just under 8,000 miles on it. Despite the trickle charger/maintainer, the battery has finally given up the ghost. Electronics will power just fine, but the battery can't turn the engine anymore.

I found some threads, though they seemed to be more focused on the GT350, and seem to date back a few years, about people using lithium batteries from Antigravity + Morris adapter. I really do like the idea of lightweight batteries, but, realize that I also need an adapter, and a different type of charger/maintainer.

When it comes to the lightweights, is that basically the go-to option, or are there others.

(And, as I'm typing this, I'm asking myself if I want to spend $450+ above and beyond the cost of a standard lead-acid 590CCA battery to save approximately 20 pounds on a car that I just cruise with...)

Suggestions or any other thoughts?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Vertex

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Devan
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 FJG HP
For what it sounds like you use this car for I don't think I'd spend the extra money on the lithium battery, however, with that being said it is your money and your vehicle. I personally plan on getting a lithium for my Mach 1 after the factory battery wears out myself but do enjoy driving mine pretty frequently and have close to twice the miles on my 21 as you do yours.

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
So your lead acid battery lasted 8 years and you hardly ever drive it and never track it.
I don't even understand why you would consider spending 2 to 3 times the money (plus a charger) to save a few pounds you'll never notice anyway.

OP
OP

King_V

2015 Mustang GT Owner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 Oldsmobile Cutlass Calais, 1987 Ford LTD Crown Victoria LX, 2015 Ford Mustang GT, 2016 Toyota Prius Two Eco
I think I was probably more enamored of the idea of the modern, lightweight battery than anything. And I think when I started looking, I thought the weight savings would be more than it actually is.

So, yeah, I think I needed that "Ok, yes, cool, but dude, let's look at reality here..."

Last edited:

Egparson202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350, 2018 Audi TTRS
Ok, yes, cool, but dude, let's look at reality here...

It doesn’t fit your use case. Replace the original with OE or a high quality equivalent. Spend the difference on a different splurge more closely aligned with how you enjoy the car.

Last edited:

CORNYOTE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
The amount of racecars with lithium that have caught fire in the last few years is reason enough for me to stay away from Lithium. The stock battery isn't great. Odyssey makes an AGM 96R battery and that's what I've had in the car since the stock battery gave up.
Sponsored