Sponsored

Stainless Works vs. American Racing Headers

Bcobb85

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Hey folks! I'm planning to finally step up to a set of long-tube headers this year and am starting to do research into each brand to decide which ones to get. I've ruled out Kooks as I've seen several reports of cracking at the welds. Therefore I've narrowed it down to Stainless Works and American Racing. I'm wanting to get whichever is the best (price is secondary). I was dead set on ARH for the longest time but I've heard of several people (mostly those that track regularly) having issues with the ARH hitting/rubbing. I haven't heard of anyone having clearance issues with SW. After looking at them closely, it appears the SW is in fact a slightly different design to the ARH. Are there any issues that I'm not aware of with the SW? Which do you guys recommend and why?

**sound clips from those that are running headers and factory exhaust is also very welcomed**
Sponsored

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Soooo, I know you stated you've ruled out Kooks (I didn't miss that part), but here's my $0.02. as I've been recently doing this very same homework and soaking in as much as I can for the exact same decision on my S197 car. First and foremost, the research has returned an overwhelming unanimous decision that you really just can't go wrong. which in some ways makes it worse, right?!?!?! You'll drive yourself bonkers trying to split hairs on any minor differences that may exist between these three. Not to mention your post is only going to drive you crazy...I bet if 15 people reply, you'll have 20 different recommendations, LOL. With that said...

I'm going with Kooks. The cracking with the Kooks seems to be sporadic reporting at best (honestly didn't spend too much time on that one). Everyone has errors. And from what I learned, the Kooks are clean sheet designed for this engine, to include matching the exhaust studs. Everything else is off the shelf Coyote stuff. But please, someone correct me if I'm incorrect. I'd also argue a sound comparison is a exercise in futility--all things being equal everywhere else in the exhaust system to do a true apples-to-apples comparison. No way you'll ever convince me that if the entire exhaust system is exactly the same sans headers, you'd be able to identify each brand.

Another factor (also applied to my S197 decision to go with Kooks) is that Kooks is a home town company. All other things being equal, those Carolina boys get my money.

Last edited:

Kobi Addiction

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT350
I've ran 30k miles through my Stainless Work system, and so far no cracking. I had researched quite a bit myself and couldn't find any info on consumers having issues. I did add flex joints to the off-road pipes to ease the stress on the header for longevity. I noticed most aftermarket LTH brands do not offer this and IMO is needed for our vibrating motors, along with vibration dampers.

Flexpipes.JPG

The only item I can say I've had issues with is adding lower G-Trac bars. Im not sure how other brand LTH's sit when they come down to the collector, but this one seems to be in the way of all Steeda G-trac bar offerings. BMR produces a 4-point & 2-point bar that sits closer towards the oil pan and so far is the only one that seems to clear the SW Headers. This isn't a big deal to me, as I prefer to have a quality LTH over a tie-bar I can have modified if need be......but something to point out is all.

BMR 4-point (CB006)
IMG_5510.jpg

Sponsored

OP
OP
Bcobb85

Bcobb85

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
I've ran 30k miles through my Stainless Work system, and so far no cracking. I had researched quite a bit myself and couldn't find any info on consumers having issues. I did add flex joints to the off-road pipes to ease the stress on the header for longevity. I noticed most aftermarket LTH brands do not offer this and IMO is needed for our vibrating motors, along with vibration dampers.

Flexpipes.JPG
Where did you get the flex pipes? I'd like o pick up a set for myself.

Kobi Addiction

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT350

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
ARH Ftw The Best fit, lifetime warranty... Contact Beefcake racing for the best deal at 1-855-827-7223

Sponsored

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
Last edited:
OP
OP
Bcobb85

Bcobb85

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
So I pulled the trigger on the Stainless Works. Before begin install, any tips? I assume I’ll need to grab a pair of OEM 5.0 gaskets to match up with the flanges. Any need to upgrade the bolts as well? I’ve seen a few talk about Stage 8 locking header bolts but not sure if that’s overkill. @Kobi Addiction have any pointers?

5DDF688F-804F-4AF7-AE3F-A53F18D31AE4.jpeg

Last edited:

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
I chose stainless works, or stainless power more precisely. SP is the budget line of SW, same material and build quality just less warranty and a few hundred cheaper. I paid 1100 for a set with high flow cats. And SW is a local company to me, I can drive there in about 45 minutes.

I don't have a 350 but I do have a regular GT and with the LTH's, a resonator delete/x-pipe, and ford racing sport mufflers by borla, this is what it sounds like on a cold start on a 40 degree morning.

Kobi Addiction

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT350
So I pulled the trigger on the Stainless Works. Before begin install, any tips? I assume I’ll need to grab a pair of OEM 5.0 gaskets to match up with the flanges. Any need to upgrade the bolts as well? I’ve seen a few talk about Stage 8 locking header bolts but not sure if that’s overkill. @Kobi Addiction have any pointers?

5DDF688F-804F-4AF7-AE3F-A53F18D31AE4.jpeg
I’ve read 5.0L gaskets line up without modification. I purchased the OEM 5.2L gaskets and had to trim out 2 sections for the bolts, wasn’t difficult.

Up to you on the locking bolts. The supplied hardware has worked great for me and I’m boosted.

Driver side is easy, nothing to it. Passenger side is a pain and I personally don’t want to ever do it again Lol. It’s just a tight space and you’re blindly tightening up a few bolts all on feel with small turns. Just stay patient.
Do not disconnect the AC, I left the factory stud on at that corner (also driver side) and removed the rest for the SW supplied bolts. Torque accordingly and clean the head surface well so the new gasket holds a good seal.

Nawsad123

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bonez
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
American Racing Headers + Ford Performance GT350 intake manifold + Magnaflow Catback exhaust + Comp cams stage 1 + Vortech Blower on the dyno. Enjoy :)

Sponsored