Stainless Power users and e85

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
I have noticed a few folks back in January/February of 2016 mention the o2 bung placement has been a cause for concern for those running e85.

Is this really a big deal?

[MENTION=10926]beefcake[/MENTION]
Sponsored

WhiteyDog

WOOF!!!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT PP
I'd like to hear this as well. Even though I don't have the SP headers, I would like to hear if it's a concern for the other header manufacturers also.

OP
OP
Todd15Fastback

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
[MENTION=17052]Ultrakla$$ic[/MENTION]
Can you chime in?

Jn2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
It can be, check out the attached pic to see the angle you want the sensor to be on. Most companies are putting them at the 3 o'clock(driver) and 9 o'clock(passenger), this works fine for unleaded, but on e85 it may cause the sensor to fail prematurely. You want the tip to be angled down so any condensation that builds up doesnt build up on the sensor itself and instead drains down.
pos10to15.gif

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
seems to be hit or miss, i think it tends to be more on the brand of fuel, but who knows

Sponsored

Jn2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
seems to be hit or miss, i think it tends to be more on the brand of fuel, but who knows
^This as well...I've been lucky enough to of had no issues with mine, I don't run e85 daily though, I blend it down to around e50 for DD...

CEHollier

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
True. Most header mfg's O2 sensor orientation are 3 and 9 o'clock. My son (Taneras) had the orientation of his O2 sensors modified on the Stainless Power headers he put on his car. He runs E85 all the time and has not had any failures. I'm just curious why the manufactures don't do this to meet everyone's needs. If you run E85 I would strongly consider a mfg that does it right out the box.

Last edited:

Lonmon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10spd Base
I am on e85 with SP and one season so far no issues. I put a tank of 93 in for the winter.

Terminator2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
I think it's mostly from cars sitting too much and EGTs being too cool to help evaporate the extra water from E-85. Short infrequent trips would be the worst. Also idling a lot could be an issue as well. I know I raised my idle RPM to 775 to help.

stoli

Fat Guy Racing
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'15 Black GT/PP
I think some of it is also related to where you park your car. Two people here in Florida I know that had O2 failures parked outside where you're much more likely to have condensation/dew buildup overnight let alone general humidity. For me parked in a garage I've had zero issue in the past year runing e85 90% of the time w/Stainless Works long tubes.

Sponsored

3beeps

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT
I have SP catless headers, I run E85, and I did not change the position of the bung. No issues at all so far. I swap to 93 every few tanks but it's usually on E85.

Jn2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
I think it's mostly from cars sitting too much and EGTs being too cool to help evaporate the extra water from E-85. Short infrequent trips would be the worst. Also idling a lot could be an issue as well. I know I raised my idle RPM to 775 to help.
Yup, a lot of folks header wrap just the collector so it retains a lot of heat longer...

jvm051

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 DIB Mustang GT base with 3.55's
I had mine moved for peace of mind, but even with that, still possible that if water got on it, it could burn out. My buddies car (Choking Victim) on here, had his 02 go out on him during install. I do not run on E all the time and now Arizona only gets E54, but I do have a few extra sets of 02 sensors at home just in case something was to happen. Cheap insurance. Here is a picture of where I had them welded. Not the best picture but you get the idea.
IMG_1626.jpg