Sponsored

Stage 1 procharger has shredded 4 belts

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
Mustang gt (procharger stage 1 kit),m
I have a 17 mustang with a procharger stage 1 kit installed. This kit was installed by an authorized dealer about a year ago who has since closed his shop due to health issues. Therefore I have had to go to another shop for diagnostic work that has left me with a car that is still broken. Looking for answers for anyone that has had similar issues

Timeline of events
-Procharger threw its first belt at low rpms cruising after 10,000 miles of street driving running perfectly fine with a good bit of abuse but nothing too crazy for the setup.

-New belt installed

-New belt shreds in 2 minutes leaving the original shop.

-Car was taken to a new procharger dealer/mechanic for adjusting.

-Shop disassembled the kit and found metal shavings in the tensioner, cleaned and put it back together with a new belt.

-New belt shredded after 10 minutes of the guy at the shop street testing the car.

-Shop disassembles the kit a second time, found play in the water pump and replaced water pump, added a new OEM tensioner, used laser alignment tool to check whole system, and clearenced the engine block a touch more which he assumed wasn’t clearanced enough on original install.

-Shop puts a fresh tune on the car that I had asked for to get off of the lazy procharger. Shop had put 7-8 dyno pulls on the car as well as street tuned the car and had no issues thinking it was fixed.

-I bring the car home, thinking its all good, tune runs smooth, has good power, drove the car for about an hour with a few pull. I put the car through a few good 3-4 gear pulls and it seemed flawless.

-After about an hour of driving fine, I take my friend for a ride in it to show him how much better it was running. On the 4th pull of the ride over about a 20 minute span, the car shredded the belt again.

Im really at a loss for what I can do to solve this issue. I have no idea what to look at or adjust at this point and Im just looking for answers and ideas that people might have to check on it myself to solve it.

Any input helps.
Sponsored

PSI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT, 17 F150, 00 MB C230 Kompressor
I would suspect either the supercharger is moving out of alignment under load somehow, or there is not enough tension on the belt. Tensioner weak? Maybe a slightly shorter belt is an option? Bracket flexing? I have no direct knowledge of the system you have but these are first thoughts on it.

Unas2k5

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Samer
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, 2021 Explorer ,2019 Impala
Damn, ensure that the belt tension is properly set according to the manufacturer’s specifications. Improper tension could lead to premature belt failure was everything torqued to spec? How much power are you making ?

andrewtac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mark
Vehicle(s)
F250. 2020 GT 400A
I am fighting a similar issue with a 10rib vortech setup, pulling my hair out. Cost about 1k to get a new seal in the blower after it eats a belt. Sent it to get fixed, next time out ate another belt. I think mine might be the tensioner (using an ARS). I checked everything with a laser, seemed square.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
Mustang gt (procharger stage 1 kit),m
Damn, ensure that the belt tension is properly set according to the manufacturer’s specifications. Improper tension could lead to premature belt failure was everything torqued to spec? How much power are you making ?
It was all torqued to spec and its only making about 600 whp.

Sponsored

Whitedevil95

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J.P.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I am fighting a similar issue with a 10rib vortech setup, pulling my hair out. Cost about 1k to get a new seal in the blower after it eats a belt. Sent it to get fixed, next time out ate another belt. I think mine might be the tensioner (using an ARS). I checked everything with a laser, seemed square.
Back with my 03 Cobra(about 7 years ago) I did an ARS tensioner and had NOTHING but problmes with it. Went back to stock and it fixed all my belt issues. They are such nice looking pieces but I was quite disappointed with how it performed.

SheepDog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dax
Vehicle(s)
Iconic Silver 2022 MACH 1 HP
I have a 17 mustang with a procharger stage 1 kit installed. This kit was installed by an authorized dealer about a year ago who has since closed his shop due to health issues. Therefore I have had to go to another shop for diagnostic work that has left me with a car that is still broken. Looking for answers for anyone that has had similar issues

Timeline of events
-Procharger threw its first belt at low rpms cruising after 10,000 miles of street driving running perfectly fine with a good bit of abuse but nothing too crazy for the setup.

-New belt installed

-New belt shreds in 2 minutes leaving the original shop.

-Car was taken to a new procharger dealer/mechanic for adjusting.

-Shop disassembled the kit and found metal shavings in the tensioner, cleaned and put it back together with a new belt.

-New belt shredded after 10 minutes of the guy at the shop street testing the car.

-Shop disassembles the kit a second time, found play in the water pump and replaced water pump, added a new OEM tensioner, used laser alignment tool to check whole system, and clearenced the engine block a touch more which he assumed wasn’t clearanced enough on original install.

-Shop puts a fresh tune on the car that I had asked for to get off of the lazy procharger. Shop had put 7-8 dyno pulls on the car as well as street tuned the car and had no issues thinking it was fixed.

-I bring the car home, thinking its all good, tune runs smooth, has good power, drove the car for about an hour with a few pull. I put the car through a few good 3-4 gear pulls and it seemed flawless.

-After about an hour of driving fine, I take my friend for a ride in it to show him how much better it was running. On the 4th pull of the ride over about a 20 minute span, the car shredded the belt again.

Im really at a loss for what I can do to solve this issue. I have no idea what to look at or adjust at this point and Im just looking for answers and ideas that people might have to check on it myself to solve it.

Any input helps.
Maybe you have the wrong length belt? You need to be sure that the OEM tensioner is no more than 50% or so of its full travel/tension. If the belt is so tight that the tensioner is close to its maximum travel, you may be hitting the limiter on the tensioner and the belt then absorbs all of the additional shock, and stretches it out. and breaks

andrewtac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mark
Vehicle(s)
F250. 2020 GT 400A
Back with my 03 Cobra(about 7 years ago) I did an ARS tensioner and had NOTHING but problmes with it. Went back to stock and it fixed all my belt issues. They are such nice looking pieces but I was quite disappointed with how it performed.
It worked before well, trying s new one. They did day they don't last forever. I need to see if I can put a 10 rib pulley on the stock and if it will clear the 20% ati.

80FoxCoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT, 80 Fox
Check pulley alignment. What model of belt are you using?

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Get a gopro or small camera setup for inside to see what is flexing and causing temporary misalignment.

In some of the S550 models the alternator actually bracket/attachments actually flex enough depending on your belt routing. The alternator wasn't designed with the forces associated with additional tension on the drive belt.

Some guys have resolved similar issues like this on other power adder systems by doing an alternator relocation kit.
Sponsored