SStormtrooPer

Dark Side
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Vehicle(s)
Single Turbo GenII Coyote Swapped '92 SSP
how does IRS make a difference? The tunnel is there to accommodate the driveshaft. Last time I checked, the Mustang will still be RWD, thus it will still have a driveshaft.
The tunnel can be MUCH smaller because the drive shaft is in a fixed position -- it no longer travels up/down or side/side as it would with a solid rear axle.
Sponsored

RIParker

The real roof line is much lower. The roof actually cuts that back square window cutout in half. (If that makes sense)
And how would you know this? We still can't see anything under the camo. The roofline is one of the best hidden I've ever seen.

SStormtrooPer

Dark Side
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Vehicle(s)
And how would you know this? We still can't see anything under the camo. The roofline is one of the best hidden I've ever seen.
Common sense says the roof line is going to follow the same path the driver/passenger windows are going(sloping off to the back), and you can see the top of the qtr. window thru the square hole.

Ford isn't so stupid that they would make a notchback/sedan greenhouse with side windows fitting for a fastback.

OP
OP
Jarstang

Jarstang

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Thread cleaned up.

We're always happy to share stuff with our members, but some of the entitled attitudes here are growing old. A video will be posted when it's available and ready. End of story.

Sponsored

RIParker

Common sense says the roof line is going to follow the same path the driver/passenger windows are going(sloping off to the back), and you can see the top of the qtr. window thru the square hole.

Ford isn't so stupid that they would make a notchback/sedan greenhouse with side windows fitting for a fastback.
It might be a little lower, but the fact that you can see the top of the quarter window through the square obviously doesn't mean that's where the roofline would be. If you look at the outline the OP drew, I doubt the roof is THAT much lower. It does need a little clearance for the heads of the rear passengers doesnt it?

SStormtrooPer

Dark Side
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Vehicle(s)
I added in the lines the windows follow(approximately) -- I doubt the roof line is going to be something other than what matches the the window lines.

The rear seat is going to be low. There will be room.

Thed

Future Pre-Runner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Miata Club
Thread cleaned up.

We're always happy to share stuff with our members, but some of the entitled attitudes here are growing old. A video will be posted when it's available and ready. End of story.
Hey man it looks like you could use some help around here. :p :gossip: :thumbsup::headbonk:

RIParker

You are assuming the camo isn't drooping towards the end of the door to cover up some of the window, creating a false window line.

Anyways that is some serious rake. It should provide for great aerodynamics, but I just hope headroom isn't compromised too much.

SStormtrooPer

Dark Side
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Vehicle(s)
You are assuming the camo isn't drooping towards the end of the door to cover up some of the window, creating a false window line.

Anyways that is some serious rake. It should provide for great aerodynamics, but I just hope headroom isn't compromised too much.
I'm not assuming -- we have seen the lines in earlier pics. In this pic, you can see the window slop towards the back, the top of the qtr. window, and possibly the back window.

And that rake will indeed going to be sweet. I trust due to the IRS, the back seat room will be as good or better than it is now.

Sponsored

mister.peabodyjunior

Threads
Reaction score
The tunnel can be MUCH smaller because the drive shaft is in a fixed position -- it no longer travels up/down or side/side as it would with a solid rear axle.
Not true. The tunnel HAS to be that high. There is barely enough clearance as it is. Plus, remember, this is a north-south engine platform. That means the transmission comes off the back of the engine. Any lower the tunnel gets. The lower the driveshaft gets and lower the ground clearance gets. There are requirements for things like ground clearance. Remember, not everyone wants a vehicle that is to only be driven on flat cement.

SStormtrooPer

Dark Side
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Vehicle(s)
Not true. The tunnel HAS to be that high. There is barely enough clearance as it is. Plus, remember, this is a north-south engine platform. That means the transmission comes off the back of the engine. Any lower the tunnel gets. The lower the driveshaft gets and lower the ground clearance gets. There are requirements for things like ground clearance. Remember, not everyone wants a vehicle that is to only be driven on flat cement.
You are joking, right? There is ZERO reason a car with IRS, having a fixed diff and drive shaft position needs to have 4" of clearance above and to the sides of the drive shaft. The DS can stay right where it is at ride height on the current car, and 3" can be taken out above it because it no longer moves with the axle/suspension. Who cares if there is barely room for it now, that is a moot point.

Yes, it needs to clear the transmission, but the tunnel doesn't need to be that size all the way back.

Maybe you know something I don't, and the tunnel is going to retain its current size/shape, but not engineering wasted space out of the car is very different than NEEDING the space.

Standman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Chrysler 300 SRT8
You are joking, right? There is ZERO reason a car with IRS, having a fixed diff and drive shaft position needs to have 4" of clearance above and to the sides of the drive shaft. The DS can stay right where it is at ride height on the current car, and 3" can be taken out above it because it no longer moves with the axle/suspension. Who cares if there is barely room for it now, that is a moot point.

Yes, it needs to clear the transmission, but the tunnel doesn't need to be that size all the way back.

Maybe you know something I don't, and the tunnel is going to retain its current size/shape, but not engineering wasted space out of the car is very different than NEEDING the space.
This. The driveshaft doesn't need to get any lower. The wasted space above it can be eliminated, resulting in more interior space.

mister.peabodyjunior

Threads
Reaction score
This. The driveshaft doesn't need to get any lower. The wasted space above it can be eliminated, resulting in more interior space.
Don't even need to talk about S550 here. Have you looked under the tunnel on S197? The transmission hits the tunnel on wide open throttle. There are insulators in the tunnel for sound deadening. There is wiring, HEGO/CMS sensors, parking brake components, etc The tunnel cannot get shorter. It's not just wasted space. It's not just black and white.

Standman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Chrysler 300 SRT8
Don't even need to talk about S550 here. Have you looked under the tunnel on S197? The transmission hits the tunnel on wide open throttle. There are insulators in the tunnel for sound deadening. There is wiring, HEGO/CMS sensors, parking brake components, etc The tunnel cannot get shorter. It's not just wasted space. It's not just black and white.
At this point I have to assume that you don't understand the issue. Yes, I've looked under an S197. I've owned one for years. Have you? Do you understand that we're discussing the drive shaft tunnel in the rear seat area? But since, according to your profile, you already drive an S550, I must bow to your superior knowledge on this subject. :hail:
Sponsored