Sponsored

Spacer thickness help - 18x10 with 305s

Competition Orange

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Found a cheap source for 305/680/18 pirelli take off slicks. I'll be mounting them on a spare set of Team Dynamics 18x10 ET 46.5 (based on measurements).

Car is on stock shocks with BMR handling springs. I have arp extended studs so not a problem there.

For what it's worth, they hit the strut when mounting ever so slightly. 5mm spacer I have worked for wheel alone (probably could have been 3mm).

Adding the large 305s, I need some guidance, any help?
Sponsored

higdominator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PPP
Tell me your cheap source and I'll share my spacer setup for the Team Dynamics...

Eh what the heck, lol. I'm running an 8mm front spacer on my TD wheels. IIRC mine are ET43 18x10's. Mine barely rubbed the shock without a spacer but with the 8mm I have plenty of free clearance and some left over during flex/hard cornering. I could have gotten away with 5 and probably 3, but I took the extra space in case I tried a wider tire. Currently on 275 NT01's.

This is a test fit before I did the stud install. Like a glove.
IMG_6921.jpg

tyshenry

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT w/ PP
I would guess 15mm will work for you. What is hard to quantify is how much bulge the 305 is going to have on the 10" rim. You could safely just run a 20mm spacer and call it a day though.

ddozier

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.trackcarbuilds.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I to would like to know your "cheap source" as well.

I run the 305 Pirelli slick and the 305 NT-01 square on Apex 18 x 10 ET43 wheels. The spacer size I run is 15mm and depending on how you are setting camber should be fine. If you are using camber plates you will be OK with the 15mm spacer, if you are slotting the front strut and using camber bolts you will be fine to about -2.9* camber. More camber and you will need to run a 17mm spacer to give yourself a little more room for tire to strut clearance. At my ride height and with the 305 NT01 with a 20mm spacer I would very slightly rub the fender arch. The fenders are very soft and can be pushed out about an 1/8" very easily if needed. 15mm and 17mm hub-centric spacers are available from H&R.

By the way the 305 NT01 is wider than a 305 Pirelli slick. My last set of Pirelli takeoffs held up fine to 6 25min sessions with careful rotation of the tires before I corded one. You will need lots of camber to keep the slicks and the NT01 happy.

Hope that helps.

Dave

OP
OP

Competition Orange

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Thanks guys!

I'm running -2.6 camber up front, can get about -3 max with the camber bolts. Strut not slotted.

I'll probably order a set of 15mm. I have a 5mm set currently.

Regarding the source, it's a small shop in Ohio and there are already 3 of us on his list for takeoffs. Not trying to hide it but I don't want to overwhelm this guy. When I pick mine up I'll chat about his inventory and frequency of tire availability and get back with the group.

Sponsored

higdominator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PPP
I don't see myself running 305 scrubs until I get my fender rub under control. I suspect I need more spring rate up front as well as a bit more camber. I have a nice wear pattern just on the inside edge of the fender lip where the tire rubs when I have the wheel turned and the car gets loaded up in the corners.

I'm also curious about the fitment of the 305 on the 10" wheel. More so the change in feel as compared to a 275. I know the tire fits and works, just curious so I can make up my mind on searching for yet another set of wheels for next year (18x11) and making them work.

ddozier

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.trackcarbuilds.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I don't see myself running 305 scrubs until I get my fender rub under control. I suspect I need more spring rate up front as well as a bit more camber. I have a nice wear pattern just on the inside edge of the fender lip where the tire rubs when I have the wheel turned and the car gets loaded up in the corners.

I'm also curious about the fitment of the 305 on the 10" wheel. More so the change in feel as compared to a 275. I know the tire fits and works, just curious so I can make up my mind on searching for yet another set of wheels for next year (18x11) and making them work.
I went from a 275 to a 305 up front so I could move to a square setup. I was running the 275 on a 9.5" up front and a 305 on a 10" in the rear. I changed to the 305 10" square.

The front end feel was not a lot different, noticeable mostly in braking but the tire wear on the 305 is considerably less and having the ability to rotate the tire front to rear has allowed me to maximize a set of tires and increase the use of a set of NT01 by about 6-8 sessions. On my previous none square setup I would use the fronts up much sooner than the rears, now I can manage the use and extend the life of the entire set.

One other thing to try on you fender rubbing, remove the front fender liner on the fender you are rubbing and you will find a small bracket that goes from the front of the fender to the inner apron of the wheel opening. you can space that bracket out from the inner apron with washers and buy yourself a little more tire to fender clearance. You can not go to far or it will pull on the bumper fascia to fender plastic clips and open up the panel gap between the two parts and can effect the gap around the head light. I had a little rubbing but only on the drivers side front of the wheel arch, I was able to limit it with a little bit of spacer and light reshaping of the fender, but you may be running too low or not enough spring rate to keep the nose up.

Dave

higdominator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PPP
Thanks. I'm loving the square setup so far. Just had to make slight changes to get back to a more neutral feel and it's dead on.

I'm leaning towards spring rate as well. I think I have found the limits of a gently warmed over stock suspension with the NT01's. I am running stock PP dampers with BMR SP080's. New dampers and springs are in the works so I'll just be patient. I may also give your trick a go. I need a good excuse for some quality car time during my down time.

higdominator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PPP
I'm running FTBR backing plates, 3" hose, and I made adapters for the outer parts of the lower grill.I don't have any issues with rubbing and I believe with the proper spacers on the 305 it wouldn't be too much different. I have the hose tucked and zip tied out of the way pretty good.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Competition Orange

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I'm running FTBR backing plates, 3" hose, and I made adapters for the outer parts of the lower grill.I don't have any issues with rubbing and I believe with the proper spacers on the 305 it wouldn't be too much different. I have the hose tucked and zip tied out of the way pretty good.
Do you know what the hub bore is?

Trying to see what size hub rings I need to buy. Web searching now...

higdominator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PPP
Not off the top of my head. I just bought mine from Optimum Performance www.opmustang.com. If the size isn't listed on the site just give him a shout. [MENTION=22413]Optimum Performance[/MENTION]