Sponsored

Someone scratched my baby

carcinoid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT (sold)
I hate people.

Someone (in my condo garage, no less) scraped the side of my front bumper. Of course, no note. The portion of the bumper that sits under the headlight was popped out and there are scrapes on the front. I was able to pop it back in and all that is left are these really superficial scratches on the front. They are actually hard to notice, but I know they're there. I don't want to turn this in to insurance. My deductible is nearly the price of a painted Roush fascia, so if I have to pay, it's going towards an upgrade! Do you guys think these are buffable, or should I have a the body shop take a whack at it? I do not want it removed and repainted.

I'm pissed. This is the third car in a row that has been hit within two months of buying it, two while parked, one rear end at a stop sign. Ugh. I need to live out in the country all by myself.
1463365208.IMG_7037.jpg
IMG_7039.jpg
IMG_7041.jpg
Sponsored

soldier989

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP Premium
Ugh, I can't stand it when people disregard anybody but themselves in this world.

I'd throw some buffing cream/rubbing compound at it. It'll probably get it looking pretty decent again. You really don't have anything to lose since you don't plan on turning this into your insurance. Don't go nuts with the cream/compound, its possible you could burn the paint, I'd recommend using a towel and your hand. I've got a lot of scratches and scrapes out doing this.

Take lots of pics of what it looked like beforehand, so you have "proof" of the damage incase you don't like the results and you end up turning this into insurance.

oesman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dmitry
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
I bet that, 99%, will buff right out and be barely noticeable.
Agreed.

If you have someone (unless you have the tools/skills) hit it with a rotary with compound and then fine finishing compound and some wax/sealant it will be fine. I doubt that even needs wet sanding, maybe just a SUPER fine (i.e. 5000 grit) sanding sponge. Doesn't look very deep at all, an hour of work tops. The hard edges of the fascia are the most challenging part. I'd wager it will be invisible if someone competent does it, unless it's a lot worse than it looks in the pictures.

Sponsored

OP
OP

carcinoid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT (sold)
Update. Good and bad.

I talked to my neighbor lady and she said that yes indeed she hit it, but she didn't see any damage so she didn't leave a note :doh:. She did say that she will pay for the repairs though.

I went to the body shop and they pointed out several spots under the headlight where the bumper had buckled and cracked the paint. The bumper needs to be replaced. The estimate is $745 with a replacement bumper. He wrote for a replacement because although technically they could fix the current one, the labor charge for it is the same price as a new one.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Doesn't seem too bad. Get some meguiar's scatchX 2.0 see if you can remove them.
The problem with repainting is if the color does not match, you have a huge eye sore from far away vs a small one.

danny0441

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt DIB
Update. Good and bad.

I talked to my neighbor lady and she said that yes indeed she hit it, but she didn't see any damage so she didn't leave a note :doh:. She did say that she will pay for the repairs though.

I went to the body shop and they pointed out several spots under the headlight where the bumper had buckled and cracked the paint. The bumper needs to be replaced. The estimate is $745 with a replacement bumper. He wrote for a replacement because although technically they could fix the current one, the labor charge for it is the same price as a new one.
no bad news, you found your culprit make her pay. trust me she saw the damage. she just assumed you would not notice she tried to one up you dont feel bad for her people are assholes.
Sponsored