5 O UFO

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium Convertible
I have only had two S550 cars - a 15 GT Premium and a 17 GT Premium Convertible. I am also pretty sensitive to different noises all of the cars I have owned have made from the time I purchased them to the time I sold them. Just my opinion, but I do believe that there is something going on with respect to the oil change timing coinciding with the ticking starting up in these cars. Nothing scientific, but definitely very coincidental.

Aside from Mustangs, I have also owned several Nissan 370Z cars. These cars employ a Nissan technology called VVEL (Variable Valve Event Lift) and from what I can glean from reading (I am no mechanic), this appears to be similar in function to the VVT (Variable Valve Timing) that our 5.0 Coyote engines are using. Maybe a real mechanic that has worked on both engines can confirm this? Anyway, in the 3.7 Nissan 370Z engine I have noticed that not using the recommended Nissan Ester based oil, the 370Z will generate what sounds like old school "lifter tapping" and it will be a much more noisy in that way. Interestingly enough, even a pure synthetic like M1 did not cure the 370Z noise. In order to really completely remove the noise it has to an ester based oil. Some Z guys use the original Nissan Ester oil, while others say that Redline will provide the same capability at quieting the noisy valve train. I can absolutely confirm in both 370Z cars I owned that this is true. When I used anything aside from Nissan Ester oil, I had this noise and simply switching back to it made the noise completely disappear. I never tried Redline and the information about Redline is only from what I read on the Z forums. But, Nissan Ester I can confirm solved the noise issue in the 370Z's that I had.

This has me curious if the differences in the oils that are being used in our GT's are really the cause and not so much the brand or weight? I know that this has been put forward before and did not want to belabor the point, but I did want to provide what my experience has been with another engine that makes a very similar noise when using a standard oil.
Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
From what I've read on this chat board, changing oil brand and/or weight doesn't seem to "cure" the ticking noise in all cases.

There have been guys who got the BBQ Tick after the first oil change, and were using Motorcraft oil and filter on that oil change.

The real cause of the BBQ Tick is one of the world's most unsolved mysteries.

kenand1988

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Literally just got the tick after doing an oil change with motorcraft 5w20

Sponsored

CEHollier

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
I do not think the oil has anything to do with mine. They found metal shavings in the pan. Started with an oil change. Now I'm getting a short block.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
I do not think the oil has anything to do with mine. They found metal shavings in the pan. Started with an oil change. Now I'm getting a short block.
Did anyone at the shop say where they thought the metal came from?

CEHollier

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
Did anyone at the shop say where they thought the metal came from?
At this time that is all the information I was given.

CEHollier

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
On a side note research F150's with 5.0 engines experiencing this problem too. The subject has been discussed at length on their forms.

Sponsored

strike-eagle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Base
They didn't give you any hassle over all your mods?

CEHollier

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
They didn't give you any hassle over all your mods?
No Hassle. IMHO I believe it depends on the technician. The technician is a mustang guy and understands.

spogshd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Could the ticking noise be the rod end hitting the windage tray.
Sponsored