Sponsored

Solo Performance GT exhaust systems review - updated with photos/videos

Which Solo Performance version do you have?

• Mach XV

Votes: 77 38.3%
  • Mach Thunder

Votes: 70 34.8%
  • Street Race

Votes: 29 14.4%
  • Axleback

Votes: 13 6.5%
  • other (with header, H-pipe, etc..)

Votes: 16 8.0%

• Total voters

swat 79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
You never ELIMINATE drone, you simple relocate it. The longer the lead on the J pipe, the higher the drone is, but going too long will cause new drone to appear lower if you go too long.
Good to know, but it would probably be better to have the drone lower in the RPM right? I don't do much driving in 6th gear below 1500 rpms.
Sponsored

Lexman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red Mustang GT Premium
What he is saying is true in the sense of all things equal. If the mid muffler reduces certain frequencies better, adjust the j pipe may eliminate the drone. Basically putting the sound where the muffler is more effective. The guys at Solo would know best, but based on their instructions, it could effectively remove drone.

murphy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I have the Thunder....past the break in period, no drone, haven't touched the j pipes. Other than cold weather and E85 being a silencer, this cb doesn't disappoint.

swat 79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I have the Thunder....past the break in period, no drone, haven't touched the j pipes. Other than cold weather and E85 being a silencer, this cb doesn't disappoint.

So the cold weather bothers your exhaust? It seems to do so to mine, so I don't know if I should adjust the J-pipes as mentioned above

luisinho93

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 5.0 50th Anniversary
Selling my Mach Thunder if anyone is interested!
Ready to connect to 3" performance connection long tube headers

Sponsored

murphy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
So the cold weather bothers your exhaust? It seems to do so to mine, so I don't know if I should adjust the J-pipes as mentioned above
I don't know if adjusting the J pipes would make a change. But the exhaust note definitely does not gurgle as loud with E85 in the tank or with temps lower than 30.

Still sounds awesome though.

swat 79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I don't know if adjusting the J pipes would make a change. But the exhaust note definitely does not gurgle as loud with E85 in the tank or with temps lower than 30.

Still sounds awesome though.

No doubt. This is good to know. My drone was significant this morning on my commute to work, so I'll probably just ride it out for another 6 weeks or so until the weather warms up.

goingsolo2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
No adjustments to the J pipe should be made until after a 1,000 mile break-in period. During those miles, carbon will build up inside the pipes, which smoothens and calms the exhaust note. Colder temperatures will add volume to any exhaust, regardless, especially on cold start. At first, the sound waves bounce off of the new stainless steel inside the pipes. This creates a louder exhaust note and sometimes some drone. As the carbon builds up during the break in period, that will go away.

Steve

swat 79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
No adjustments to the J pipe should be made until after a 1,000 mile break-in period. During those miles, carbon will build up inside the pipes, which smoothens and calms the exhaust note. Colder temperatures will add volume to any exhaust, regardless, especially on cold start. At first, the sound waves bounce off of the new stainless steel inside the pipes. This creates a louder exhaust note and sometimes some drone. As the carbon builds up during the break in period, that will go away.

Steve
This is great to know. Thank you!

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
Here is my cam tune with Stainless Power catless headers and Mach Thunder catback. It's sounds wicked in person.

Sponsored

invaliduser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Convertible PP
When I first got my Mach Thunder on it was super loud and everything was vibrating inside and I think that is what drone is. What I have now is a lower frequency noise that I wouldn't describe the same way.

That super loud drone stopped around the 600-800 mile mark. It's been a few thousand miles now and now I have this low resonance around the 2000-2500 rpm range when on the highway and trying to maintain speed up a slight incline or having 2 passengers in the car.

Is that considered droning? It seems to be really loud but not loud at the same time but is borderline starting to bother ears in the car. If a window is open it seems to change the tone and relieve the "pressure". I do have a convertible and its amazing how that canvas top changes the sound.

Sometimes standing outside my car when it's running the car sounds louder in the quarter panel area under the trunk than directly behind the exhaust tips. When this is the case, that's when I get this resonance in the car. Almost like the exhaust sound isn't leaving the tips and out the rear of the car as it should.

I will try to fiddle with the j pipes when the snow melts away a bit.

My 65 Mustang has long tube headers, h pipe and no mufflers. It's loud but it doesn't hurt my ears like this does.

NvrFinished

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GTPP
Quick question guys. I'm installing my Mach Thunder tomorrow and after unboxing tonight I realized there are no instructions.

Does the 3" band exhaust clamp go on the connection behind the muffler and the 1.5" clamp on the exhaust tip?

Draklia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
When I first got my Mach Thunder on it was super loud and everything was vibrating inside and I think that is what drone is. What I have now is a lower frequency noise that I wouldn't describe the same way.

That super loud drone stopped around the 600-800 mile mark. It's been a few thousand miles now and now I have this low resonance around the 2000-2500 rpm range when on the highway and trying to maintain speed up a slight incline or having 2 passengers in the car.

Is that considered droning? It seems to be really loud but not loud at the same time but is borderline starting to bother ears in the car. If a window is open it seems to change the tone and relieve the "pressure". I do have a convertible and its amazing how that canvas top changes the sound.

Sometimes standing outside my car when it's running the car sounds louder in the quarter panel area under the trunk than directly behind the exhaust tips. When this is the case, that's when I get this resonance in the car. Almost like the exhaust sound isn't leaving the tips and out the rear of the car as it should.

I will try to fiddle with the j pipes when the snow melts away a bit.

My 65 Mustang has long tube headers, h pipe and no mufflers. It's loud but it doesn't hurt my ears like this does.
That low frequency "hum/hone" is what I interpret drone to be.

invaliduser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Convertible PP
That low frequency "hum/hone" is what I interpret drone to be.
Then I have a buttload of drone at 2000-2500 under load :( especially on the highway under light load like cruising around 65-75mph
Will try the jpipes when I can
Sponsored